Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City A Pre Match Thread

6 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

I think the best opportunities are going to be down the middle against Ake and Stones. Walker is the best in their potential back four, but he can't cover the whole back line. Ake was bang average last year with Bournemouth, and Stones has been inconsistent at City. The problem is as ever with MC, the midfield, and I think if we lined up 3-5-2, it gives us options out of the back with Vardy and Barnes interchangeable up top. JV has shown he can do the assist role as well as scoring and I think having him and HB running at the centre pair would give us a good chance.

Having the five in midfield, also allows us to double up and support the CB and at least give them a couple of options to play out from the back if BR wanted to do that. MC are going to expect us to play on the counter because of JV and the way they press, so again trying to have the likes of YT and DP in there to try and mop up knock-downs and flick-ons may pay-off.

I think it'll be a tight game if we can keep level for the first 30 mins. If we go one down as previously, it'll be a lot harder to get anything back.

Heart says City, but my head says City.

For those who think playing city with missing players will make it much easier look at yesterdays stats

they had 72 percent poession and beat a near full strength bournemouth team, with a 17 year old up front.

I expect them to line up like this if  gabriel jesus is missing due to injury

Ederson

Walker Stones Ake Mendy

Foden   Rodri   Fernandinho

De Bruyne             Mahrez

Sterling

I expect brenden to go

Kasper

Castagne, Evans, Cags, Justin

Mendy, Praet, Youri,

Perez                                    Barnes

Vardy

• Like 3

Will Ndidi have an operation?

“That will take place tomorrow morning. It’s unfortunate. It’s come right off the bone. He’s going to be up to 12 weeks. He’s a huge player for us. It showed his mentality. Towards the end of last season, he felt it, and then during the game, but he carried on with his spirit. There’s no doubt he will be a miss.”

Will you sign another defensive midfielder?

“We have other priorities with the resources we have. We are looking at other positions. We have players who are capable of stepping in. Papy Mendy has done very well, Choudhury covered the ground very well against Arsenal."

Wesley Fofana?

"There are a number of players who have been linked to us. We’re clearly looking for a player in that position."

Under's international clearance

"That should be taking place this afternoon. It will be too soon for Sunday, but he should be in training next week."

Ricardo back on the grass?

"He’s still a bit of time away. It’s great for him to be out on the grass these past few days. He’s still a period of four to five weeks away, but we’ll see how that recovery goes."

Man City?

"These are a top-level side and whatever happens, they’re still top class. We’re playing against one of the top teams in Europe. It’s a difficult game for us. It’s another good measure for us. We know realistically where we’re at, but the challenge is for us to be competitive.

“They have world-class players and a world-class manager, and that makes it very tough. We played them last year. One game was close. The other was not so close. We want to keep developing and these games allow us to do that.”

De Bruyne?

“It’s hard to think of a better midfield player in world football. He sees passes that others don’t. But it’s also about how hard he works, the intensity he plays with."

Demarai Gray?

“He worked very hard. For all of the players that featured the other night. He’s not been well this week, so he’s probably going to be doubtful for the game. He came in and worked hard and that’s all you can ask.”

Man City only have 13 fit players?

“You only need 11 and then you can only use three subs. With the young players he has, they will have the motivation and quality. All of the teams are still finding their fitness.”

Evans available?

“He’s fine. He's been training over these past number of days, so he’s available. He’s had a good couple of weeks, and I think for most players, they’re not going to be at 100 per cent, but I would still have at Jonny Evans at 80 per cent.”

Full-backs?

“Timothy’s played in a couple of positions. They’ve all played in other sides of the pitch. All three can play in the system we want to play. We have a very clear way in how we work. You saw James Justin play on the right side of a back three. Ricardo has played as a winger and it’s great to have that flexibility within the squad."

• Thanks 1

"That should be taking place this afternoon. It will be too soon for Sunday, but he should be in training next week."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Aguero and Jesus both out injured for Man City

They are also missing: Bernardo Silva, Gundogan, Cancelo, Zinchenko, Laporte

Line up is likely to be:

Ederson

Walker Stones Ake Mendy

Rodri

De Bruyne Foden

Mahrez Sterling Torres

Bench: Steffen, Garcia, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Delap + 2 other youth players

They can’t really change much around

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, twister said:

For those who think playing city with missing players will make it much easier look at yesterdays stats

they had 72 percent poession and beat a near full strength bournemouth team, with a 17 year old up front.

Ederson

Walker Stones Ake Mendy

Sterling

I expect brenden to go

Kasper

Mendy, Praet, Youri,

Vardy

Would be interesting to see the possession and passing stats of the Thursday night MC backline vs the midfield though eh?  ..and they were 1-1 until Foden knocked one in late - as ever possession != goals - it helps obviously, but is no guarantee - they hardly smashed Bournemouth out of sight in terms of goals.

We're looking for best opportunities against whatever team Pep puts out. As others have said, if we go like-for-like formation-wise I can't see that ending well. We need to find, or create, a mis-match somewhere on the field and flooding the midfield to try and stop KDB et al seems like a good opportunity to stifle and push through the centre.

Schmeichel

Castagne, Evans, Soyuncu

Perez, Praet, Mendy, Tielemans, Justin

Vardy, Barnes

Maddison, Choudhury, Iheanacho/Albrighton

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Line up is likely to be:

Ederson

Walker Stones Ake Mendy

Rodri

De Bruyne Foden

Mahrez Sterling Torres

You can see why Pep is complaining having to put out that 11.

This is as good a chance as any we’ve got to beat these. We played quite well against them at home last season, if we go in cautiously we play the game on their terms so we should put that back line under pressure by pressing high up the pitch. Stones and Aké are a mid table pairing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blabyboy said:

I think the best opportunities are going to be down the middle against Ake and Stones. Walker is the best in their potential back four, but he can't cover the whole back line. Ake was bang average last year with Bournemouth, and Stones has been inconsistent at City. The problem is as ever with MC, the midfield, and I think if we lined up 3-5-2, it gives us options out of the back with Vardy and Barnes interchangeable up top. JV has shown he can do the assist role as well as scoring and I think having him and HB running at the centre pair would give us a good chance.

Having the five in midfield, also allows us to double up and support the CB and at least give them a couple of options to play out from the back if BR wanted to do that. MC are going to expect us to play on the counter because of JV and the way they press, so again trying to have the likes of YT and DP in there to try and mop up knock-downs and flick-ons may pay-off.

I think it'll be a tight game if we can keep level for the first 30 mins. If we go one down as previously, it'll be a lot harder to get anything back.

Heart says City, but my head says City.

I'll give anything a go as long as we go at them one way or another! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twister said:

Ederson

Walker Stones Ake Mendy

Sterling

I expect brenden to go

Kasper

Mendy, Praet, Youri,

Vardy

I'd bet money on jesus scoring against us even if he's out injured, 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, davieG said:

I so hope this is Brendan's version of 

qq1fg484mnp11.jpg.089ab5c4f8eaf9b3739051524b896ecf.jpg

Mind you, I also hope pep talking about his injuries is not! 

Chances of it being the other way round? 

Edited by gw_leics772

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Line up is likely to be:

Ederson

Walker Stones Ake Mendy

Rodri

De Bruyne Foden

Mahrez Sterling Torres

If Foden plays, it will be 3 games within a week. I doubt he’ll start.

Meanwhile, let’s hope De Bruyne is still a little groggy from his clash with Cook last night. :D