Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Leicester City vs West Ham (H) - Pre Match Thread

Winning the first 4 league games of the season sounds a bit too good to be true so I could definitely see a spanner in the works happening at some point, and they've just had a great result. But we are bang in form and playing great. Just note that West Ham literally beat Wolves 4-0 by doing what we did, sitting deep and hitting on the break. They had 33% possession against Wolves but Wolves only had 2 shots on target. But we now have a team who have the capabilities to beat teams like that. Our midfield has been purring and Maddison looks like he's ready to start if Praet is injured. If he's not, keep Praet in the team as he's been sensational. We've also got Under to come in if we need him!

I expect us to go 4141 with Amartey dropping out and Maddison starting RW if Praet isn't injured. Otherwise it will be Perez out wide and Under will probably come on at 60.

If we play anything like we have done in the first 3 games we'll win the game. Will go for a 2-0. I think Praet will be very important if he plays - West Ham signed Soucek who gives them plenty of legs in midfield with a really impressive engine. If Praet is out then his work rate could cause our 3 problems. If Praet is in, he will match him and Noble and Rice don't have the mobility or stamina that Soucek does.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Hope common sense prevails and we don't stick with the 352 just because it's "a winning team."

Got to go back to 433/4231 against these and stick with what worked against WBA and Burnley because it'll be a much more similar game and we've got far more control over the game with proper width.

Be nice to see Under get a good solid 30+ minutes as well on for Perez, who I'd assume starts if we do go back to type.

As an aside - if we win will that be our best ever start to a top flight season?

Depending on injuries, why would we want to play Perez. He's not a winger so why have a more traditional winger at all until it's felt Under should play. 433 with Tielemans, Mendy and Praet,  then Barnes, Vardy and Maddison would be fine. Of covered by the midfield, Castagne can add any width required on the right coming from deep like Ricardo. 

West Ham shouldn't be underestimated. I think we need to approach this like the first two games, but beware of complacency after such a great result and start to the season.

Kasper

Castagne   Evans (if fit/Amartey/New CB)     Cags        JJ

Mendy

Tielemans            Praet (if fit/Maddison)

Perez                             Vardy                         Barnes

Subs: Ward, Amartey/New CB, Thomas, Choudhury, Maddison, Under (on @ 60 mins), Nacho

Hopefully, Evans and Praet will be available, but we're not as desperate at centre-half as we were after Amartey's performance and we could have a new signing by then, and if Praet's not available, with any luck, Maddison can probably do a job if needed. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Hope common sense prevails and we don't stick with the 352 just because it's "a winning team."

Do you really think Brendan is the guy to do that? We just completely changed our formation and approach after two opening wins to cater for one of the top teams in the world. By Brendan’s own admission, he did something he’d never done before to mastermind a win. And now you think he’s going to forget all of that and tell the team “winner stays on”?!

• Like 1

Well after an absolutely brilliant result for us yesterday confidence will be high.

Antonio will be handful and Souczek seems to have a knack of scoring goals late from midfield.

If we can defend set pieces, isolate there out ball to Antonio we can make this 4 wins out of 4.

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

Do you really think Brendan is the guy to do that? We just completely changed our formation and approach after two opening wins to cater for one of the top teams in the world. By Brendan’s own admission, he did something he’d never done before to mastermind a win. And now you think he’s going to forget all of that and tell the team “winner stays on”?!

He wasn't specifically referring to the change in formation, more the change in approach - ie the fact we completely parked the bus at the start of the game, willingly surrendered all possession and sat on our own six yard box. 

In contrast, we were ludicrously open last season when playing Liverpool and Man City, naively so. 

We tried to swap to 352 to attack, keep possession and win games post lockdown literally just a couple months ago, so yes I think it's very possible he'd try and line up that way again. 

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Why the ever loving heck would you want to see Maddison out wide? 

We played Perez there, we won eight in a row. We play Maddison there, we look absolutely terrible. I love Madders but he's not a wide player for love nor money. 

Perez played there and we scored 3 and 4 in our opening games, he played there when we put a cricket score by Southampton, gave Newcastle a bumming, etc. 

How many times has he got to play there and we win before people on this forum start accepting its not a coincidence? "He's not a winger" just like Okazaki wasn't a striker and yet Shinji was an irreplaceable part of title winning team, we suffered greatly trying to bench him the following season. 

Think you missed my point entirely which wasn't meant to have a go at Perez particularly, or play Maddison out wide. My point is that in football you don't have to play with traditional wingers as many teams have done. Maddison as you say is poor out wide and myself have made that point many many times when criticising Rodgers for doing so last season. I'm a great believer in round pegs in round holes unless unavoidable. Perez, not his fault, is also ineffective out there so why put either of them wide in the first place, it's the waste of a player.

19 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I don’t think a back three is right against these, you need to adapt to different opposition so go back to the setup in the first two games. Keep Praet and Tielemans together.

Praet will be missing . Twisted knee is not a quick recovery. 

Kasper

Amartey

Cags

Justin

Castagne

Mendy

Tielemans

Thomas

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

Evans is likely not fully fit so no need to take the risk - JJ is more than capable of filling in at CB (his pace will help against Antonio) meaning Thomas gets more game time (should be a nice one for him to be back in for). Praet, like Evans, won't be 100% so give Maddison 65/70 mins to keep building match fitness. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, foxpleasure said:

Is Under going to be available?

Also...

3 against West Brom

4 against Burnley

5 against Man City

6 against West Ham

7 against Villa...

I'd like to see this sequence being continued until the end of the season 

So 11 at Anfield then!

Happy for a break in sequence after that.

About time we gave them a spanking at their place. (20 years?)

23 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Winning the first 4 league games of the season sounds a bit too good to be true so I could definitely see a spanner in the works happening at some point, and they've just had a great result. But we are bang in form and playing great. Just note that West Ham literally beat Wolves 4-0 by doing what we did, sitting deep and hitting on the break. They had 33% possession against Wolves but Wolves only had 2 shots on target. But we now have a team who have the capabilities to beat teams like that. Our midfield has been purring and Maddison looks like he's ready to start if Praet is injured. If he's not, keep Praet in the team as he's been sensational. We've also got Under to come in if we need him!

I expect us to go 4141 with Amartey dropping out and Maddison starting RW if Praet isn't injured. Otherwise it will be Perez out wide and Under will probably come on at 60.

If we play anything like we have done in the first 3 games we'll win the game. Will go for a 2-0. I think Praet will be very important if he plays - West Ham signed Soucek who gives them plenty of legs in midfield with a really impressive engine. If Praet is out then his work rate could cause our 3 problems. If Praet is in, he will match him and Noble and Rice don't have the mobility or stamina that Soucek does.

...why would we entertain putting a player in an unsuitable position jut to accommodate them in the team!!!