Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Rodgers

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I do wonder which manager REALISTICALLY they think we could get right now and who would be significantly better.

Geoff, you're so naive. You should know full well that it is the right of the gobby know it all to fire everyone and everything without any suggestion of a viable plan or alternative. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dames said:

I’m gunna be honest and say that i’m still not over last seasons capitulation. I think the short gap between seasons has left little time to come to terms with it. 

Early signs this season are positive but its hard not to be dragged to a negative headspace when you see baffling decisions because more often than not over the past 11 months they’ve lead to some of the most uninspired performances i’ve seen in the past 10 or so years. 

If things carry on as they are Rodgers will build that credit back up but for me he’s still got a little bit more work to do to banish what happened last season. 

Or an opportunity to get it out of the system and move on from it? 

Which it looks like we have done to be fair... 

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

We have some very strange fans, once they decide someone is shit, they will not let go.

Quite what Rodgers has done too earn this accolade I don’t know, the indignity of not making the champions league surely can’t have butthurt them that much?

Its not that he’s shit its actually more to do with the fact that he’s paid an elite level managers salary. One of the highest in the league and therefore probably the world and at times over the past 11 months we have not had an elite level manager. 

No elite level manager would have let a 15 point lead slip. He did fantastically well to get us into that position but someone earning as much as Rodgers should be doing a lot better in that situation. 

We aren’t minnows anymore and if we are big enough to have one of the highest paid managers in the league we should also judge that accordingly. Fans should not be constantly mocked for pointing this out either. 

Some fans are happy with their lot and whatever the club serves up and thats fine. Its also equally fine to be ambitious as a fan within reason and as we are paying Rodgers such a wack, he has to take flak as much as credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Dames said:

Its not that he’s shit its actually more to do with the fact that he’s paid an elite level managers salary. One of the highest in the league and therefore probably the world and at times over the past 11 months we have not had an elite level manager. 

No elite level manager would have let a 15 point lead slip. He did fantastically well to get us into that position but someone earning as much as Rodgers should be doing a lot better in that situation. 

We aren’t minnows anymore and if we are big enough to have one of the highest paid managers in the league we should also judge that accordingly. Fans should not be constantly mocked for pointing this out either. 

Some fans are happy with their lot and whatever the club serves up and thats fine. Its also equally fine to be ambitious as a fan within reason and as we are paying Rodgers such a wack, he has to take flak as much as credit.

You don't seem to be giving him any credit though? He's taken a shit load of flak. 

Wasn't the clubs ambition to get in Europe? I agree it wasn't the intention to be EL and it was sickening how we let such a lead slip but it's perhaps time to move on and embrace/enjoy where we are now? No point living in the past dwelling on what could have been. 

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

Apart from Kevin Keegan 15 point lead with Newcastle, Alex Ferguson 13 point lead with Man Utd with about 8 games remaining. Arsen Wenger 12 point lead with Arsenal and they’re just the Top of the league season off the top of my head.

• Like 2

I never said a bad word against him on this really but I don't understand the flip flopping between he's a genius and he's an idiot. Being honest the Man City and Arsenal results, great as they were, have only made up for two home games we should be winning. We are not in a position where most of us thought we wouldn't be when the fixtures were released.

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

D9A7E863-6CB6-4437-BBB5-1D5EA49622CD.thumb.png.1b750990902fab597db122f5436f7393.png
He is the 9th best payed manager in the league and he finished 5th, I’m not sure what all this elite wage nonsense is all about really but his wage in the world is irrelevant, when he is competing in the richest league in the world.

He doubled his wages and all the press was £10m a year. 

15 minutes ago, Dames said:

Elite managers usually have elite squads. 

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Fair enough, even if true that sits him at 5th.

Pep Guardiola and Jurgan Klopp would have a ceiling with this side and both have made tactical errors even this season. I just think our fans can be massively unrealistic. It’s ok to be pissed off about a game, even a run of games but where do we go to improve after Rodgers? This club has a glass ceiling and we pretty much have our noses pressed firmly against it. 

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

This is what i’ve seen as well as the figures being quoted to pay him off was at 40 million which fits in with this. If i’m wrong i’m wrong and happy to readjust my expectations but if this is true that takes him way to the top and expectations adjusted accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Elite managers usually have elite squads. 

This is also true, we don’t have an elite squad and as i’ve said we did fantastically well to get into that position in the first place. But once in that position we shouldn’t have surrendered it in the way that we did. How many times in that run in did you come away thinking the players ran through brick walls for Rodgers? Not many.  Rodgers should have been good enough to see us through but he wasn’t and he has to take the flak for that, just as much as the credit he gets for getting us into that position.

Elite managers can make all the difference look at Fergies last season they won the title. Same team 6 months later couldn’t perform for anything and the only difference was David Moyes was manager. We had a good enough team to hold onto that 15 point lead and the manager should have seen it through. 

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Fair enough, even if true that sits him at 5th.

Pep Guardiola and Jurgan Klopp would have a ceiling with this side and both have made tactical errors even this season. I just think our fans can be massively unrealistic. It’s ok to be pissed off about a game, even a run of games but where do we go to improve after Rodgers? This club has a glass ceiling and we pretty much have our noses pressed firmly against it. 

Its not unrealistic to expect us to fight tooth and nail to hold onto a 15 point lead over our rivals, at times last season when it was slipping away we were so passive and cautious it was unreal. Its unrealistic to expect us to get into the Champions League positions season after season and as i’ve said Rodgers deserves the credit for that. He also deserves the flak for an alarmingly poor 9 months where he could have done much much better than he did and he’s paid to do so. We probably can’t do better than Rodgers but we definitely pay a salary (if reports are to be believed) to expect a little more than we would under another manager. 

1 minute ago, Dames said:

This is what i’ve seen as well as the figures being quoted to pay him off was at 40 million which fits in with this. If i’m wrong i’m wrong and happy to readjust my expectations but if this is true that takes him way to the top and expectations adjusted accordingly.

This is also true, we don’t have an elite squad and as i’ve said we did fantastically well to get into that position in the first place. But once in that position we shouldn’t have surrendered it in the way that we did. How many times in that run in did you come away thinking the players ran through brick walls for Rodgers? Not many.  Rodgers should have been good enough to see us through but he wasn’t and he has to take the flak for that, just as much as the credit he gets for getting us into that position.

Elite managers can make all the difference look at Fergies last season they won the title. Same team 6 months later couldn’t perform for anything and the only difference was David Moyes was manager. We had a good enough team to hold onto that 15 point lead and the manager should have seen it through. 

Its not unrealistic to expect us to fight tooth and nail to hold onto a 15 point lead over our rivals, at times last season when it was slipping away we were so passive and cautious it was unreal. Its unrealistic to expect us to get into the Champions League positions season after season and as i’ve said Rodgers deserves the credit for that. He also deserves the flak for an alarmingly poor 9 months where he could have done much much better than he did and he’s paid to do so. We probably can’t do better than Rodgers but we definitely pay a salary (if reports are to be believed) to expect a little more than we would under another manager. 

Thing is, whilst you might argue he's paid elite manager levels, and that his performance might not be "elite" as you'd class it. We've still achieved what the owners would have targeted before he started, we've progressed under him. We aren't going to get an "elite" manager who is nigh on perfect, unless we get very very lucky and get him in early. 

• Like 1

Not taking anything away from Rodgers or the team. They got it right last night, worked hard and deserved that win.

But....

Sitting deep, frustrating teams and taking our chance when It comes is something we've been able to do well since 2015. We've always had that in our locker. 

To progress as a team, we need to get better at breaking down teams who play that way against us because we are going to come up against more of them than we are teams who have a go and I feel we struggle to do that sometimes. 

I agree that its difficult with so many injuries nut if Rodgers can get us doing that, we will progress massively as a team. 

• Like 1

Are we getting more than we would under any other manager though? Who can we attract than can even achieve similar? Puel wasn’t far away but he was hated by large parts of our fan base.

I just think this is it, these are the golden years. The best time ever to support this club and you’re wasting it feeling bitter about a little drop in form. Look at where we are and what we are achieving compared to our rivals and ourselves a decade ago and then pinch yourself.

• Like 2

Just now, Babylon said:

Thing is, whilst you might argue he's paid elite manager levels, and that his performance might not be "elite" as you'd class it. We've still achieved what the owners would have targeted before he started, we've progressed under him. We aren't going to get an "elite" manager who is nigh on perfect, unless we get very very lucky and get him in early. 

I agree for the most part and we definitely over achieved last season if you only take into account league position and points tally. 

Again, my point is that i’m not expecting him to have us challenging every season but at the same time its not too much out of the realms of possibility to have expected him to do much better than he did during the run in given the position we were in and the points lead we had. Claude Puel got sacked for an extremely similar run of form. 

I don’t expect him to be perfect but I expected him to do much better than he did at the back end of last season. It was not a horrific run in and at times the team was way too passive and cautious. I don’t think thats unreasonable.

I’ll admit some of my comments are jumping the gun a bit this season but thats borne out of the frustration of the past 9 months. If he keeps going as he has done so far this season he’ll build that confidence back up in me and the other fans that are critical. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Are we getting more than we would under any other manager though? Who can we attract than can even achieve similar? Puel wasn’t far away but he was hated by large parts of our fan base.

I just think this is it, these are the golden years. The best time ever to support this club and you’re wasting it feeling bitter about a little drop in form. Look at where we are and what we are achieving compared to our rivals and ourselves a decade ago and then pinch yourself.

It wasn’t a little drop in form, thats 4-5 games max. This was a sustained drop with no improvement. As I keep saying its not criminal to have expected Rodgers to have done a little better.

We are in a miles better position than we were 10 years ago and some of the money we are throwing around at the minute means expectations should be higher. I don’t expect we should be winning week in week out and i’m really happy on the face of things but it still doesnt make me blind or immune to some of the problems we have recently or even for years. Especially our dull passive style of play at times. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Tactically inflexible, stubborn, no plan B - that's FT for you.

I give you exhibit A - 5-2 at the Etihad.

I give you exhibit B - 1-0 at the Arsenal.

A very selective two exhibits in all honesty, there are plenty of other exhibits that don't stand up to such scrutiny. 

• Like 1

If Brendan hadn't had a payrise would you all be happy with mid table? If we give him another rise do you think we're certain to win the league? 

This judging people by their wage packets seems a bit ridiculous to me. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Dames said:

Didn't Fergie lose something like a 10 point lead in 11/12 when Man City ended up winning the league?

It wasn’t a little drop in form, thats 4-5 games max. This was a sustained drop with no improvement. As I keep saying its not criminal to have expected Rodgers to have done a little better.

We are in a miles better position than we were 10 years ago and some of the money we are throwing around at the minute means expectations should be higher. I don’t expect we should be winning week in week out and i’m really happy on the face of things but it still doesnt make me blind or immune to some of the problems we have recently or even for years. Especially our dull passive style of play at times. 

I’m really not sure what the crux of your complaint is, last season has gone now. You agree that despite the poor second half, we overachieved? You don’t expect us to win week in week out and are really happy overall but the occasional dull passive game annoys you at times? 
So where are we in your thinking, can you summarise your position on Rodgers? Sack, or keep and support?

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If Brendan hadn't had a payrise would you all be happy with mid table? If we give him another rise do you think we're certain to win the league? 

This judging people by their wage packets seems a bit ridiculous to me. 

If we had a player earning £200,000 a week and not putting a shift in I think you’d not be happy.

Its as simple as you pay for what you get. If he didn’t get his bumper new deal expectations would be a little lower but we are paying for a manager that should be doing better in some of the situations he found himself in last season. He’s done a lot better this season and is rightly taking the plaudits.