Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Rodgers

27 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I don't always agree with @babylon but on this he's been the most measured of any poster and I wish more people would take note.

Finishing 7th-10th would not be a disaster this season.

Has anyone said finishing 7th-10th would be a disaster this season?

As others have pointed out, Rodgers will not change his philosophy. The passing game is fundamental to him. When the tempo is high, we rip teams apart and are capable of beating any team in the league, when it's slow we are vulnerable and can lose to any team in the league. To play this way effectively requires players that are technically gifted (see Man City). Unfortunately we don't have the financial resources to have 20 or so players who can play at that level. This is why our form is inconsistent. Our first eleven, god knows when we'll ever see them take the field, is a match for any team. What we must hope is that our strongest lineup is available for the key games coming up after Christmas. Maybe this season will be the reverse of last in that respect. With Rodgers I agree with those who argue that the pros outweigh the cons. But it is clear that he will not compromise his footballing principles no matter what the cost. Had he been prepared to do so last season, when the stakes were so incredibly high, we would surely have managed to qualify for the CL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

The fans attitude has nothing to do with promotion or relegation, that's down to the attitudes of the owners, management and players.

Too many people on here seem to think that the witterings of fans on a chat page directly affect the club.

We have some input when we're at the ground, that's it.

What are you doing on here then? 🤔

The fans attitude has nothing to do with promotion or relegation, that's down to the attitudes of the owners, management and players.

Too many people on here seem to think that the witterings of fans on a chat page directly affect the club.

We have some input when we're at the ground, that's it.

I'd go as far as to say that without the fans there would be no club. It's the fans anger and frustration within the ground as you put it that sways whether managers are fired. So yeah, I'd say that the witterings of fans directly influence the club for the majority of time and issues.

Who cares what you, me or others think about his approach, the point is whether the club were aware of it when they signed him.

Considering our recruitment team are renowned for the dossiers they compile on players stats and everything else before putting in bids it would be fair to assume that the same rigorous approach is taken when considering hiring a new first team head coach/ manager. I am pretty sure that Top, Rudkin and Whelan knew exactly what they were getting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UHDrive said:

The laungage and speeches of the owners and managers that come into this club is crystal clear - European Football is our ambition on a regular basis. How else to do imagine getting there? The owners know full well that to commit to that statement that funding from them is an absolute necessity.

Yeah I know, I'm not denying that, I just don't agree with your part of "or we will be back in League One". It's not just you I've seen say this, and my point was that we've only been a third tier club once. I don't know why people act as if without investment we'd be in the third tier. Because we wouldn't.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I'd go as far as to say that without the fans there would be no club. It's the fans anger and frustration within the ground as you put it that sways whether managers are fired. So yeah, I'd say that the witterings of fans directly influence the club for the majority of time and issues.

I was replying to your message ' Its fans like you with that attitude that will see us back in league 1 as quick as it took us to come up.'.

My point being that it doesn't matter what fans say on a chat board.

We're back to Father Ted and dreams/reality here, this is not the real world, being at the ground is.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Can some of the fans that are starting to seriously question Rodgers/already want him gone answer me a few things.

Do you think we should be a top 4 side with the squad we have and the injuries we have had in the last 10 months? If you don't then how can you be that unhappy with this regime? This was the game changer for me in my outlook on what happened last season. I am not happy with the overall points return in 2020 but I also don't think this team is good enough to be top 4 even if we hadn't had the injuries we've had its a huge ask for us to be up there but we are knocking on the door and the level of negativity is starting to baffle me.

If top 4 isn't a minimum requirement then please explain what Rodgers and the team should be doing differently to not necessarily be top 4 but also not piss you off as much as they seemingly are doing? What I'm reading is, they need to put up good performances vs the best sides, ideally getting results as well against them. Seldom losing or drawing at home vs anyone, especially any team outside the top 6. Don't concede goals early and consistently make the exact substitutions demanded and for those substitutions to more often than not have the required and expected impact. To be comfortable playing possession football with a strong pressing game led from the front, but flexible enough to disregard that style as soon as a game isn't going exactly how we want it. To have a plan B executed autonomously, but also be flexible moving through other plans back and forth if required. Whatever gets the results, but not to win every game or even half the games because none of our fans expect top 4.

This is the trap I think a lot of us (me included for large parts of the last 4-5 years) that we have experienced the real consistent feeling of what it takes to be a winning machine and both at Championship and then PL level once that starts to evaporate its very difficult to accept a watered down version where the experience of winning happens less than 1 in 2, even winning 1 in 2 games doesn't satisfy everyone because we have averaged that and yet there's signs of vitriol building as was saw under Puel. 

So please, someone stick their neck out and explain exactly what needs to happen under Rodgers to be happy with him and his regime? These injuries have fcuked it for me, I don't like excuses but its bordering on insane and we aren't as good a team as we often think. We are a work in progress and I want to see progression, difficult when you nearly land top 4 and blow it but I want an identity to be built and some mental strength and toughness added to this bunch which I think will come. Finances might be questioned, but we ought to still have the blueprint to be more efficient than a lot of those around us. Launch an onslaught on developing our academy and I'll be very content with what we are trying to achieve. 

Oh and focus on our attacking and creativity in the new few windows, all under Rodgers regime as he is the man for the job without question.

You are being over optimistic if you actually believe that most of the knockers here actually have a sensible alternative. They don’t, but of course feel entitled to keep telling everyone that’s it’s not good enough. I suspect that if we finished top 4 won the fa cup and got to the final/semi of the EL some would still moan that we should have done better, would have won everything if only BR had had a plan b.:tumbleweed:

for what it’s worth I totally agree with you. We are a decent side and still doing ok considering the situation we find ourselves in

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah I know, I'm not denying that, I just don't agree with your part of "or we will be back in League One". It's not just you I've seen say this, and my point was that we've only been a third tier club once. I don't know why people act as if without investment we'd be in the third tier. Because we wouldn't.

Referring back to the original comment it was effectively saying that we should rest on our laurels. Stagnation in business only goes one way and that is down. I am not a fan demanding our owners throw in hundreds of millions of pounds but I am a fan that expects the owners to pump in the cash that is needed to match the ambitions of the owners own quoted positions.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed, it astonishes me how little credit is given to the phenomenal results we have had under Rodgers. The times we've scored 4 or 5 in a game, all quickly forgotten and don't hold as much weight as a 3-0 defeat at home to West Ham, however poor that is as a result.

Those results mostly were a long time ago now. Not too many of them in 2020 was there?

22 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Those results mostly were a long time ago now. Not too many of them in 2020 was there?

For a team as awful as some of you make out we have still scored 3 goals 3 times, 4 goals 3 times and 5 goals once in 2020. 

3 of which came just a few games ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think that astonishing  2-5 win at Man City two-three weeks ago already raised expectation levels to silly levels, although nobody saw a 0-3 stuffing at home to West Ham coming straight after I guess! 

• Like 1

Just seems to me the ones who want Rodgers out probably only started supporting Leicester in 2016 the fans who don't want him out and have supported the club for years realize Rodgers is doing a good job under the circumstances remember we are not a top 4 side me personally are pleased with we're we are as a team 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Referring back to the original comment it was effectively saying that we should rest on our laurels. Stagnation in business only goes one way and that is down. I am not a fan demanding our owners throw in hundreds of millions of pounds but I am a fan that expects the owners to pump in the cash that is needed to match the ambitions of the owners own quoted positions.

How do the owners hedge that investment for their own protection ? 

They’ve already invested a significant sum to stabilise this club and then converted the debt into shares. By doing that, alongside the success in the league, they have acquired loans to improve infrastructure around the club. Something this club will benefit from for many years to come. 

This is an investment, part of a wider investment for the family ownership. They’re not and should not be expected to throw money at it after the initial significant investment. No one earns to lose it. The reason they made the initial investment and converted to shares is because they knew that the success of premiership promotion would effectively increase the value of the asset to level where they can recoup that initial investment without charges scattered all over. It’s all called sensible management. 

They’ve made a decision to investment significant loaned sums to improve the infrastructure because (and I’m making an educated guess) the club suffers on player targets at both first team and youth team because there is better out there. It also increases that sale value further - that increases the opportunity to recoup sums invested without leveraging the club assets. 

This is all simple and clever business without even taking into consideration the implications of FFP.

The club is growing organically, without severe dependency on one party. It’s basing its progress on matters which they can control. With the odd calculated risk at certain stages. It’s how a good business is run. Money recouped from the playing side, is immediately reimbursed into the playing side, no money is being lost in hefty dividends or elsewhere which doesn’t benefit Leicester City.

If it means that this club secured its future, improves its standing and is not dependant on one or two investors, I’m all for it. 

The final point is that even with a significant cash injection, does this club presently have the appeal to attract that calibre of player to take us to the next level ? If not, are we not throwing good money at mediocre assets without the potential to progress. In the same instance risking the club (not the owners) future. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think 7th minimum. Yes, we have injuries but according to the table recently reproduced on here, were no worse off than many of the others. 

Surely its 4th minimum for fans like you? There's absolutely no way you'll be happy with 7th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1