Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Rodgers

I like what Rodgers is doing team wise and what he’s trying to build, but my gripe that won’t go away is his inability to change things when they ain’t going well, i rarely hear him come out and say we changed the formation as they was for example over- running us in midfield, getting to much joy down the left or right.

In recent times Brighton at home, West Ham at home, Villa at home, Spurs away, Bournemouth away, all games where he got it badly wrong even Man Utd game where we treated it like a training game rather than a cup final.

Yes he had a great start and maybe I have high expectations but when you kinda get sussed out and don’t change things, that’s when you go down a slippery slope.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

How do the owners hedge that investment for their own protection ? 

They’ve already invested a significant sum to stabilise this club and then converted the debt into shares. By doing that, alongside the success in the league, they have acquired loans to improve infrastructure around the club. Something this club will benefit from for many years to come. 

This is an investment, part of a wider investment for the family ownership. They’re not and should not be expected to throw money at it after the initial significant investment. No one earns to lose it. The reason they made the initial investment and converted to shares is because they knew that the success of premiership promotion would effectively increase the value of the asset to level where they can recoup that initial investment without charges scattered all over. It’s all called sensible management. 

They’ve made a decision to investment significant loaned sums to improve the infrastructure because (and I’m making an educated guess) the club suffers on player targets at both first team and youth team because there is better out there. It also increases that sale value further - that increases the opportunity to recoup sums invested without leveraging the club assets. 

This is all simple and clever business without even taking into consideration the implications of FFP.

The club is growing organically, without severe dependency on one party. It’s basing its progress on matters which they can control. With the odd calculated risk at certain stages. It’s how a good business is run. Money recouped from the playing side, is immediately reimbursed into the playing side, no money is being lost in hefty dividends or elsewhere which doesn’t benefit Leicester City.

If it means that this club secured its future, improves its standing and is not dependant on one or two investors, I’m all for it. 

The final point is that even with a significant cash injection, does this club presently have the appeal to attract that calibre of player to take us to the next level ? If not, are we not throwing good money at mediocre assets without the potential to progress. In the same instance risking the club (not the owners) future. 

I partly agree with you mentioning sustainability and organic growth and I am glad that we have been doing that for a number of years now.

My point is that this isn't about the infrastructure (as a fan I couldn't be happier about this) but it is about player investment and associated monies. Since the leugue win the club has had a negative cash input from the owners into the club as an average. If that is the case then it isn't a realistic attempt at matching their own ambitions. Id argue the sponsorship issue again for player funds and salaries.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Surely its 4th minimum for fans like you? There's absolutely no way you'll be happy with 7th.

Not at all. Had this season been normal with a proper pre-season with our full team and new additions available, notwithstanding that 2 teams are fairly untouchable and other have also strengthened considerably, I believe anything less than 6th would represent failure. With current injuries that are not that dissimilar to many other clubs, I think 7th is entirely reasonable. 

We can always look enviously at others but with what Rodgers has got compared with most other teams is considerable. 

Bearing in mind we played a not very good newly promoted side and one with more injuries than us, I would have reasonably expected a couple of wins to start the season off. I'd also reasonably expected to have lost to Man City but, due to spot on common sense  tactics by Rodgers we got an unexpected win. His comments afterwards, compared with his wildly overwhelming acknowledged poor tactics against them last year, gave great cause for optimism as he seemed to acknowledge that he may have made mistakes in the past and had to compromise sometimes the way in which he would ideally like to play. 

However, whilst I acknowledge our injuries,  his tactics in our last two matches have again been very poor with substitutions to match. It's not the losses, it's the manner of them. His team selection options are admittedly limited but, not playing players to their strengths, out of position, or, setting up with no apparent recognition of how the opposition have set up and how they are currently playing is strange. If I was the only one saying this then I'd acknowledge openly that the problem was me. However,  there are a growing number of supporters both on and off this forum that find much of what he's doing strange to say the least. When you match that with the comments of Celtic and Liverpool fans and take into account our huge collapse since around Christmas time and why it potentially happened, then Rodgers does appear to be in rinse and repeat mode and seemingly learns nothing new.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not at all. Had this season been normal with a proper pre-season with our full team and new additions available, notwithstanding that 2 teams are fairly untouchable and other have also strengthened considerably, I believe anything less than 6th would represent failure. With current injuries that are not that dissimilar to many other clubs, I think 7th is entirely reasonable. 

We can always look enviously at others but with what Rodgers has got compared with most other teams is considerable. 

Bearing in mind we played a not very good newly promoted side and one with more injuries than us, I would have reasonably expected a couple of wins to start the season off. I'd also reasonably expected to have lost to Man City but, due to spot on common sense  tactics by Rodgers we got an unexpected win. His comments afterwards, compared with his wildly overwhelming acknowledged poor tactics against them last year, gave great cause for optimism as he seemed to acknowledge that he may have made mistakes in the past and had to compromise sometimes the way in which he would ideally like to play. 

However, whilst I acknowledge our injuries,  his tactics in our last two matches have again been very poor with substitutions to match. It's not the losses, it's the manner of them. His team selection options are admittedly limited but, not playing players to their strengths, out of position, or, setting up with no apparent recognition of how the opposition have set up and how they are currently playing is strange. If I was the only one saying this then I'd acknowledge openly that the problem was me. However,  there are a growing number of supporters both on and off this forum that find much of what he's doing strange to say the least. When you match that with the comments of Celtic and Liverpool fans and take into account our huge collapse since around Christmas time and why it potentially happened, then Rodgers does appear to be in rinse and repeat mode and seemingly learns nothing new.

:dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Yes, I see what you mean but its the chicken and egg scenario. Man City right now are considered "elite". Essentially they have the profile and the cash to buy who they want. That wasn't always the case. Think of the early years under the Sheikhs ownership. Mark Hughes was regularly criticised for being in and around the top 6. However, even with all that money it took a few years for them to really progress to a level which made them appeal to the truly elite manager and players. You look at Hughes' first few signings and you have names like Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, Ben Haim, SWP and Given. Good players, not elite players. They then pulled off some very good youngish up and coming players like Kompany and to an extent Zabaleta. Tevez was the only ready made elite player they signed during his tenure. Wayne Bridge and Adebayor were convinced to join from rivals but were not really the Aguero's and David Silva level that they bought after. Also remember a lot of this was pre-FFP. 

My point is, that for the first time in my Leicester supporting life, we have a plan. A plan to upset the normality of the leagues top clubs. However, this plan takes time. If the owner tomorrow drops in £100m can Leicester buy or better put, attract players who genuinely take us to the next level ? I'd say no. I think we are an attractive club to some players but if you're be courted by say Arsenal or Chelsea, I still dont think we go toe to toe with those sorts of clubs. Its even harder given we are relatively small city. 

This is where investment in our infrastructure and potentially backroom contacts helps us. Telling players we have wealthy owners and ambition is one thing. Showing them around a training ground that you would expect to see in Barcelona rather then a Leicestershire countryside plays a part. We are doing the right thing. 

That then goes onto Brendan. Does he make mistakes - of course. Does he sometimes infuriate me - absolutely. However, is the job he is doing good for this next phase of the project - no doubt. His strength is improving footballers. He has proven that on a number of occasions. You look at our signings this summer, Under, Fofana and Castagne. Only Castagne is what you would class as "ready made". In Fofana and Under, the profile and potential is there for them to improve the club. If the coaching is right, if the facilities are right, these players have no excuse but to take their game and the same time our game to the next level. 

Sir Bobby Robson once said, moving from 17th to 15th in the Premier League is not a big jump. However, moving from 5th to 4th is massive progress. That's because progress at that level is far more competitive. We are progressing and continually do so by being reliant on a good backroom team and facilities to allow them to do their job. Dropping a significant sum and buying up Europe's nearly players would just hinder that. When we have the profile to attract that next level player, your previous point of further investment would be far more relevant. 

Great post. 

The reference to where the owners want to take us is spot on. Whether it will work long term is debatable but at worst I’d say it will cement us in the Premier League for years to come, as well as leaving us completely self-sufficient. 

Any club our size is susceptible to the one horrific season (just as we had the one unbelievable season). But should that happen we can be confident we’re in the best hands to deal with it. 

It’s great to have the feeling that we aren’t and hopefully never will be one of those ‘sh!t or bust’ clubs. Regardless of if a marquee signing doesn’t perform.

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Yes, I see what you mean but its the chicken and egg scenario. Man City right now are considered "elite". Essentially they have the profile and the cash to buy who they want. That wasn't always the case. Think of the early years under the Sheikhs ownership. Mark Hughes was regularly criticised for being in and around the top 6. However, even with all that money it took a few years for them to really progress to a level which made them appeal to the truly elite manager and players. You look at Hughes' first few signings and you have names like Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, Ben Haim, SWP and Given. Good players, not elite players. They then pulled off some very good youngish up and coming players like Kompany and to an extent Zabaleta. Tevez was the only ready made elite player they signed during his tenure. Wayne Bridge and Adebayor were convinced to join from rivals but were not really the Aguero's and David Silva level that they bought after. Also remember a lot of this was pre-FFP. 

My point is, that for the first time in my Leicester supporting life, we have a plan. A plan to upset the normality of the leagues top clubs. However, this plan takes time. If the owner tomorrow drops in £100m can Leicester buy or better put, attract players who genuinely take us to the next level ? I'd say no. I think we are an attractive club to some players but if you're be courted by say Arsenal or Chelsea, I still dont think we go toe to toe with those sorts of clubs. Its even harder given we are relatively small city. 

This is where investment in our infrastructure and potentially backroom contacts helps us. Telling players we have wealthy owners and ambition is one thing. Showing them around a training ground that you would expect to see in Barcelona rather then a Leicestershire countryside plays a part. We are doing the right thing. 

That then goes onto Brendan. Does he make mistakes - of course. Does he sometimes infuriate me - absolutely. However, is the job he is doing good for this next phase of the project - no doubt. His strength is improving footballers. He has proven that on a number of occasions. You look at our signings this summer, Under, Fofana and Castagne. Only Castagne is what you would class as "ready made". In Fofana and Under, the profile and potential is there for them to improve the club. If the coaching is right, if the facilities are right, these players have no excuse but to take their game and the same time our game to the next level. 

Sir Bobby Robson once said, moving from 17th to 15th in the Premier League is not a big jump. However, moving from 5th to 4th is massive progress. That's because progress at that level is far more competitive. We are progressing and continually do so by being reliant on a good backroom team and facilities to allow them to do their job. Dropping a significant sum and buying up Europe's nearly players would just hinder that. When we have the profile to attract that next level player, your previous point of further investment would be far more relevant. 

Great post 

:frusty: infinity infinity. People hear what they want to hear and only what they what to hear. This place a hall of mirrors like the rest of the world. Perhaps that's what football forums are supposed to be. Because its sure as hell not Knowledge that resides here. Opinion is interesting the first time I hear it but after that its just well.....boring. Endless bickering........ Back to Football.

Sorry if I offended anyone personally.

It's not necessarily about where we finish, I'm fed up of the lifeless displays we are showing on a regular basis. I fully accept we'll lose but we lose in the limpest way possible. I'm delighted we smack teams and entertain at times but we've really got to cut out the turgid football.

• Like 1

Cant wait for people to claim it was a lucky win as opposed to soaking up the pressure and pushing forward more as the game went on.

Obv needs to find a way past the likes of West Ham when they have one of their games of the season but tactics worked well today.

• Like 2

Just now, Nalis said:

Cant wait for people to claim it was a lucky win as opposed to soaking up the pressure and pushing forward more as the game went on.

Obv needs to find a way past the likes of West Ham when they have one of their games of the season but tactics worked well today.

The second half and especially when Vardy came on we looked the better team 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2020 at 17:47, Corky said:

It's not necessarily about where we finish, I'm fed up of the lifeless displays we are showing on a regular basis. I fully accept we'll lose but we lose in the limpest way possible. I'm delighted we smack teams and entertain at times but we've really got to cut out the turgid football.

I agree with all of this. On the face of things finishing 5th last season was fantastic however the way we surrendered a 15 point lead over 5th place without putting up much of a fight was hideous. 

I expect us to finish between 10th - 6th and I agree with the fact that we will lose a fair few games but its the way we are losing with limp passive performances.

• Like 1

This was no more a tactical masterclass than last week was a tactical disaster.

On both occasions Rodgers did the best with what he had available, on both occasions he erred on the side of caution. Last week he was unlucky, this week he was lucky - this is the nature of a low-scoring game like football, sometimes you win close games 1-0, sometimes you lose them 1-0.

That we lost last week doesn’t make him useless, that we won this week doesn’t make today a masterclass. Manchester City was a masterclass. Today I think we made the best of a bad job and the last half an hour was the best we’ve played in months.