Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gav_LCFC14

European premier league

32 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Not to mention the fact that the money they make from this new league will completely end any sense of competitiveness in the PL. The relatively egalitarian sharing of resources across the PL is what currently makes it more competitive. If huge amounts of money are concentrated into the hands of the few teams in this Euro league the PL will be like La Liga where the same 3 teams finish in the top 3 virtually every season. I am starting to wonder whether our title win in 2016, followed by our near miss CL qualification last season has prompted these big clubs to act to guarantee their snouts are never again removed from the trough by an upstart like us. 

Probably not far from the truth. We look like we're going to be up that way for a few seasons and nowadays, more than ever before, it's acceptable to be self - serving, greedy, and open about it. 

In all honesty this reeks of Messi’s I’m leaving every time he has to pay taxes. 

Probably just a ploy to get what they want. I really hope they chuff off. 

I cant be the only one who would completely boycott those games. I think their numbers would be lower than they think 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

I see your point but why would FIFA get involved in those shenanigans if they ultimately don't benefit from them.

Depends how heavily you believe that FIFA are involved. Don’t see it personally. 

FIFA won’t ever want to create a competition which could potentially receive more money than the World Cup. 

The story rather than coming from a source based in the sports media as instead come from the finance world which makes me doubt some of the details 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Two seasons in, Spurs and Arsenal would be the Fulham and West Brom of it. 

They’d be a new big six and they’d want more money than the rest. 

Rinse and repeat 

For me it’s a smoke screen to shoehorn in some league phase to the CL or even this final 8 format.

Only 5 teams per country, which almost certainly means Spurs miss out.

18 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I could be wrong but what are the players going to think about this? It’s basically saying goodbye to your family for the entirety of your career

Doesn't seem to bother the elite cricket players.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

In the franchise model the fans from the location are a footnote. Location is fluid. Look at the movement of American basketball clubs. 

Its all American sports. Baseball, Basketball, Football and Hockey(Canadian) think nothing of changing cities and stadiums when ever they see fit. Money is all that matters.

Just now, SO1 said:

Its all American sports. Baseball, Basketball, Football and Hockey(Canadian) think nothing of changing cities and stadiums when ever they see fit. Money is all that matters.

I've been banging the drum about the steady Americanisation of football for a few years now. 

I cautioned it started with things like language and half time displays. I didn't anticipate this quick a turn over, though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SO1 said:

Change is inevitable. Let them go and let it be.......... But tax the living sxxt out of them. Make the foreigners pay for the privilege of playing in England and stealing the reputations of the once honorable clubs. Its your society, government, and legal system. Or is it just bought and paid for like mine. The choice is yours.

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I've been banging the drum about the steady Americanisation of football for a few years now. 

I cautioned it started with things like language and half time displays. I didn't anticipate this quick a turn over, though. 

They won't stop now until there is a fan revolt, especially from the big clubs. The smell of huge profits is just too enticing. FIFA and UEFA are small potatoes and will be quickly swept aside. The recommendations I made in my comment this morning still stand. Its going to happen unless they are in danger of losing their "Brand". If English Football goes I'm done watching televised sports.

56 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Maybe if this lot disappear then football will return to its roots. 

Tbf I don't think we'll ever get back to that point, but it's still pertinent.

No one is suggesting if these clubs piss off that the financial muscle of the PL will be anywhere near as big as it is now. But do we need it to be?

Could we be in a position where finances return from being extraordinarily doped, to a game that's more sustainable, where agents don't take hundreds of millions out, where billionaires aren't pumping money in to try and compete with these top teams.

It's probably be an opportunity for us to reset, to recalibrate how realistic finances are at the "top" level of football. Heck, it might even return a modicum of power and voice to us match going fans.

There's plenty of positive and opportunity for us and our ilk if they set off into the sunset, don't let the desperate elite fans tell you otherwise.

• Like 1

I'd argue that a lot of the supposed glamour games in this league have lost their appeal. Does Man United v Arsenal really get the biggest billing now? A few years ago Neville was playing down Liverpool v Man United when it was 6th v 4th. Man City v Arsenal is almost a routine Man City win now, same with Arsenal at Anfield.

Liverpool v Man City is the big game now, the Manchester derby still has an appeal, the North London derby is usually a good match but even in the top six games you get one-sided, routine wins or unexciting contests between a pair of former heavyweights.

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'd argue that a lot of the supposed glamour games in this league have lost their appeal. Does Man United v Arsenal really get the biggest billing now? A few years ago Neville was playing down Liverpool v Man United when it was 6th v 4th. Man City v Arsenal is almost a routine Man City win now, same with Arsenal at Anfield.

Liverpool v Man City is the big game now, the Manchester derby still has an appeal, the North London derby is usually a good match but even in the top six games you get one-sided, routine wins or unexciting contests between a pair of former heavyweights.

I don't see any of them as glamour games since Covid football started. I only watch City games now. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m confused why people think the big clubs will want to ditch the prem. they’re not interested in swapping the prem money for  european league income. They want both ! 

Two squads of 25 for each competition or one massively increased squad? I wonder which one they'll push for?

1 minute ago, twister said:

tell them to close the door on the way our, ban them from the premier league

uefa should kick any players involved out of international football, and fifa should be broken off if they are involved in this

Thing is FIFA regulate International football and are backing this aren't they? 

21 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Thing is FIFA regulate International football and are backing this aren't they? 

They do but have no say in how national teams select their squads. If the FA, either openly or otherwise, decide that players not playing in their national leagues cannot be selected there is nothing FIFA can do about it. If they try to sanction nations for not fielding their strongest players that will end badly for them. If the UEFA teams decided to boycott the World Cup they would be stuffed.

Edited by urban fox

Most points of view I've read are feature our the fans opinions, but Utd and Liverpool only care about worldwide TV rights, and they'll pay the top dollar for a super league, it will attract the best players and the prem will lose revenue to it and English football will suffer, its bad news all round

9 hours ago, Sly said:

This would replace the Champions League and play out of the course of a season; whilst also playing in the domestic league. 

What I don’t understand, is how they plan on taking part in another 17 (once) to 34 games (twice). 

These teams already complain about fixture congestion etc. 

With the International Nations League, International Friendlies, FA Cup, League Cup etc, that’s a lot of football.  

This could just be a baby step to them braking away altogether, however it’s not that simple. We’ll end up with an inferior Premier League for those left behind, with reduced money and the top talent wanting to move to the big league with the big money. The FA may need to take a stance here if that’s the case and make a stand that anyone playing in this, doesn’t ply for the national team. 

My concern is that they will be given special rights to have larger squads.. thereby stealing even more of the best players and sitting them on the bench for half a season