Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gav_LCFC14

European premier league

18 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well LCFC got £73m that will never happen again with this set up.

Yes because you competed in the champions league that season and even at that, that scenario was a complete outlier as this season is your first season in European competition since, let alone the champions league.

I think three sides outside of the traditional "big 6" have ever made the champions league group stages so there's really not been much trickling down even in that sense.

Going back to the original point, next to nothing trickles down to the other domestic sides who don't compete in the competition so in that respect nothing will really change.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yes because you competed in the champions league that season and even at that, that scenario was a complete outlier as this season is your first season in European competition since.

Going back to the original point, next to nothing trickles down to the other domestic sides who don't compete in the competition so in that respect nothing will really change.

...and we only just missed out on another run in the CL again that will never happen under this scheme. Well £73m from one club one season suggests that it does because we spent a fair bit of that on players within the English Leagues.

Their timing is good as well just when there's a few sides challenging to break into that top 5.

Anyway any amount is better than none.

46 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The problem is Man United don't care what the local matchgoing Mancs think. There are millions of "fans" worldwide watching every game on TV that will love it. English supporters are a disorganised bunch and don't have the political will to fight these kind of monstrous developments together in the same way fans do in other countries, which is why we so often have the piss taken out of us by those in charge.

British fans stand up from kneeling at their clubs groin, wipe their mouths and reiterate their thanks for being so lucky to support their club.

You're also right that these clubs really don't care what the English fans think about this. If it keeps the rich fans paying the high tickets, and the worldwide fans watching on telly, losing some British "traditionalists" is a worthy sacrifice.

So basically a closed shop. No more champions league dreams for us. Wouldn't it be boring. 18 teams with no relegation. Top 4 or 8 in a playoff to see who wins it. Majority of the games will be pretty meaninless.  Yawn fest. Suppose they will all get even richer though which is nice for them. 

What happens to the FA Cup? Granted they'll Jack the league cup, but with the PL + 30 games in the new European format it sounds ridiculous. I'm beginning to think that they will have to shorten the PL number of teams from at least 20 to 18, maybe even less in the end to make it work for 'them' and to reduce games. 

Then factor in travelling and scheduling of games and I've no doubt that they'll want authority to do this as and when convenient even if it shunts our game scheduling around. Ridiculous.

The FA/UEFA/Government need to bog this down into as much legal wrangling as possible. Regardless of people saying 'bugger off' to these teams, I personally think they matter massively for the country and for all other teams regardless of league or non-league to be able to have their dream days out to them and as and when they happen.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo
  • Like 2

This effectively is an attempt to make the CL and it’s lucrative tv rights a closed shop. Th FA however sanctions the league positioning that qualifies for UCL so if this is effectively taken away then throw those who enter this league out of the PL, negotiate with EUFA to continue the UCL with teams from all those nations excluded from this super league and that will leave the whole idea high and dry.

also make it quite clear to the national manager that only players playing in national leagues are to be considered for selection. After a couple of years when Man Utd et al struggle for decent players and everyone gets bored of watching superficial games and sky pull their dosh out let them come back to the conference league.

personally I think it could actually make the PL far more competitive.

• Like 2

these clubs don't want to go - they still want to drink at the prem trough ……..midweek games are shite for everywhere east of Moscow.  there wont be as much money in the european super league as they think. 

this is where big picture comes in - they keep their monies by having a twenty year stay in this competition guaranteed. i expect they were concerned that they could possibly end up being relegated from the prem if they want to compete effectively in the prem and also in this euro league to get the biggest payout. big picture was to insure their payout from the prem - they don't give a sh*t about the pyramid and this news lays everything bare …….........…….  

See ya. Let them go play there friendlies together.

Don't get me wrong the players and teams in that group are ultimately great players and teams...but god it can be dull. 

I might be mad...but I'd rather have a bit of fun when watching the Villa game my mate turns to me and says...you know who we're missing today. Schlupp.

At least we can finally put to bed this notion that cutting domestic games is to help players with their fitness. It is to create space for more European games.

Amazingly, people were backing the reduction of 20 to 18 in that Big Picture bollocks. For ****s sake, if 38 matches in 40 weeks is too much, what do you want?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adam said:

So basically a closed shop. No more champions league dreams for us. Wouldn't it be boring. 18 teams with no relegation. Top 4 or 8 in a playoff to see who wins it. Majority of the games will be pretty meaninless.  Yawn fest. Suppose they will all get even richer though which is nice for them. 

The entitled few will earn the majority of the money, whereas the embittered majority earn the lower. It then becomes the task of the forgotten hordes  to eclipse the few, then Amazon can buy that league, and the dirty wheels rotate once more.

This is purely about greed and nothing more, Liverpool and Manure led the Project big picture and few days after rejection, they are at the front of the queue for the European super league.  I suspect Manure & L'pool leaked the project big picture proposals themeslves, it gets rejected and then this story pops up, quelle surprise!

I cant see the fans of any clubs being happy with this. They are clearly aiming the whole thing at a tourist market rather than thinking of actual fans from the clubs. As if people would want to travel abroad every other week to watch your team play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

I cant see the fans of any clubs being happy with this. They are clearly aiming the whole thing at a tourist market rather than thinking of actual fans from the clubs. As if people would want to travel abroad every other week to watch your team play. 

In the franchise model the fans from the location are a footnote. Location is fluid. Look at the movement of American basketball clubs.