Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mickyblueeyes

Ben Chilwell

43 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Not sure about the last bit.

Ben Chilwell is 4.5 years older than Luke Thomas.    They had both broken into the first team by the time they were 19.   Thomas has made 18 appearances to date, Chilwell had made 22 appearances by roughly the same age.

They both are showing (have shown) plenty of promise, but no way that Luke Thomas is "miles away" at the same age.

I don't want this to become about Thomas because he is a great prospect and I think he could become a really good LB soon. My point was more in regards to how people are saying Thomas is already going to be better than Chilwell based on maybe 10 or so starts from his 18 appearances.

I think in a couple of games, Thomas has been exposed due to his inexperience. Spurs away sticks out for me last season. It's naive to expect him to come in and get everything right straight away anyway but I think Chilwell was a lot better personally at his positioning at the same point in his career. 

53 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

It’s not that big a mystery.  I think he’s already said in another interview that he lost confidence for a while - and given some of the stick he got that was pretty much inevitable.

Obviously don’t know the guy but he seems like someone that a manager needs to to build up and praise rather than criticise to get the best out of them.

If that's the case he didn't have any confidence for the entire time he was in our first team as his end product was never consistent, he didn't ever look in control of where he was putting the ball in to. Thats why it is surprising he has improved so quickly.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

How footballers seemingly improve or regress so quickly fascinates me. It seems implausible that a player who found it nigh on impossible to pass or cross under numerous managers known for developing young players is mind boggling. It happens though and often quickly, which is what we are seemingly seeing with Chilwell. His final ball, the very thing I thought was a technical flaw that might not ever be improved is now pretty bloody good. I honestly thought he might have webbed feet, his passes and crosses would be like a magnet to empty space in any peculiar shape required not to reach any of our players, yet now he seems to be putting in some balls with accuracy and quality. It begs the question if he was deliberately playing badly for us but that's not really the best preparation for getting a move to a bigger club and going on to become their highest paid player so it must simply be a new challenge and new ideas thats got this missing piece of the puzzle for Chilwell.

That’s the thing, I don’t think he has improved as such.

He’s in good form, no doubt about that. But that probably comes from the confidence in having been bought for £50m and the novelty of playing in a new team. He’s also playing with slightly better players which no doubt helps.

Judge him across his first two seasons, not 12 games or so. We saw a pretty rough spell of form at Leicester from him and people can say “ah, but he lost his confidence” - if we’re being brutally honest, in an elite sportsman, that is a deficiency. I don’t think that goes away overnight.

We all saw him smiles and back-slapping in the tunnel prior to a semi-final at Villa Park. It’s not a huge deal but that, to me, is not the sign of an elite competitor with the focus and drive to be an undisputed winner. He’s now in an environment that will absolutely demand that mindset of him so let’s see how he copes when the novelty wears off and he hits his first bit of bad form.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shailen said:

Yeah because Chelsea paid £50m for an average full back. You don't pay that kind of money unless you think the player has substantial talent. 

He's England's no. 1 left back and I'd only go as far to say Robertson and Davies are better than him. Final crosses aside, he's got everything imo. I actually think he was one of our better defenders last season, his side overall was weak defensively as Barnes and Maddison on the left side of midfield weren't as good at getting back as Perez and Tielemans were so he was very exposed with Man City away being the prime example. 

I like Thomas but I can't get my head round why people think he's going to be way better than Chilwell. He's better at crossing granted, but his defensive positioning, aerial ability, etc. are miles away from where Chilwell was at the same age. 

What? They paid £70m for a keeper who can barely catch a ball. I suppose you could argue that Kepa has 'substantial talent' but that is not the same as being world class, far from it. 

How any Leicester fan can think that a transfer fee accurately determines a player's pedigree after we sold Harry Maguire for £80m+ is absolutely beyond me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

How footballers seemingly improve or regress so quickly fascinates me. It seems implausible that a player who found it nigh on impossible to pass or cross under numerous managers known for developing young players is mind boggling. It happens though and often quickly, which is what we are seemingly seeing with Chilwell. His final ball, the very thing I thought was a technical flaw that might not ever be improved is now pretty bloody good. I honestly thought he might have webbed feet, his passes and crosses would be like a magnet to empty space in any peculiar shape required not to reach any of our players, yet now he seems to be putting in some balls with accuracy and quality. It begs the question if he was deliberately playing badly for us but that's not really the best preparation for getting a move to a bigger club and going on to become their highest paid player so it must simply be a new challenge and new ideas thats got this missing piece of the puzzle for Chilwell.

Only Puzzle for me..was how this disdain & Contempt begann & continued...

Like Any FB he Made errors,but some  Posters refused to Notice & Comment on the good moments he had in the same Moments & game.

I for One always Believer he was better than some Posters in this forum would have....

And there is the Crux..!!  Some!!   Plus they just Shout Louder & repetitively, so even the dry Mud was sticking.....

Just look how players are analysed & Judged on here...its too profound,too deep,Too over the top ...Any plaudits or criticism lose Any Sound argument...

I was sad to see him go,he was & is one of the best International FBs, but I so believe in this period in time, we have a glut of them, an high % also capable of playing other rolls...in separate or within the same game,without the Teams Flow being compromised, & others who are simply  just Top FBs..

Funny Thing is...Leicester within a Short Time struggle to find the actual Cover for CB & FB..But always upped the Slot ins/ First name on the sheet quality...or were Top Cover replacements...

Morgan,Wasi,Huth,Maguire,Evans,Soyu, Now Fofana.. Then Simpson,Fuchs,Ricardo,Chilwell,Castagne,Justin,Thomas...

Over these years, we have had games where everyone of them struggled & it was the  fans who failed them.

Players who all have had their Stand out moments...,more better moments, than error-filled ones...

Proof.!!..Our improved status, better alround Quality , performance & presentation, League positions, since we have been promoted...

The biggest negative change...has been this forums mind-set, lack of ecouragement..

And how easy & long term the negative & entitlement  has slipped into

everyday,every game discussion & debate..!! Its lost its toxicity, because its become the norm..!!

Flavour of the month has now has seen a change of perspective....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Feed The Yak!! said:

What? They paid £70m for a keeper who can barely catch a ball. I suppose you could argue that Kepa has 'substantial talent' but that is not the same as being world class, far from it. 

How any Leicester fan can think that a transfer fee accurately determines a player's pedigree after we sold Harry Maguire for £80m+ is absolutely beyond me

I agree Kepa was a terrible signing and that transfer fees don't necessarily indicate value but the fact that Chelsea were linked with Chilwell for as long as they were and that they still paid a substantial fee shows they thought he was worth the risk in their opinion on past performances, whether it proves to be the case or not. 

Similarly Maguire was a better player for us then he has been for United and that's why they paid over the odds for him despite how its looking now. There's no way United paid £80m based on his performances in a Leicester shirt having question marks over him. 

On 13/12/2020 at 01:17, gurru991 said:

Kante but not Mahrez

Mahrez in my lifetime is the most talented player to play for us, although he eventually forced a move, he did sign a contract when we won the title, and was here much longer than Kante was.  The way Claudio looked stunned when finding out about Kante was leaving suggests Kante had previously told him he was staying.  As lazy as he was claimed to be, I feel its a winger trait, Barnes e.g. can completely go missing in games and not track back.  The winger problem may well be why Rodgers doesnt like the system, as wingers are luxury players.

• 4 months later...