Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mickyblueeyes

Ben Chilwell

29 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Well it was when I was doing work placement. I had this athlete who came in about their wellbeing, rehabilitation etc. To be honest half the time I would sit and just listen and feel sorry for them but I remember this one guy, He used tell me, stuff like how he enjoyed what he used to do but when he moved clubs for what would seem peanuts to some clubs was huge amount to him and it became horrible to him as everything was planed from what he had to eat, what he couldn't not eat, when he had to eat, times he would need to be at places, missed birthdays missed family holidays, even being home sick etc. This one time he was crying cos there was so much expected of him by fans, family and friends as everyone saw him as the next best athlete (comparing him to alot of different athletes etc) and he felt like he just couldn't live up to it all, didnt help that his manager was putting pressure on him to (not club manager or coach) and to be honest some of that pressure came from himself to be the best cos he read it on some paper or website. Anyways half the time you do hear it later on when they have left the game and Dont get me wrong some athletes enjoy all that pressure but it made me really appreciate all athletes and for some I always felt like they should be paid alot more cos half the journey that took to away games or even out the UK they had to pay themselves and it can be really had if your a young athlete with having family around. Any who I stop doing all that due to covid and it being workplacement also the course I was doing shut down. Did get asked if I wanted to continue working for this club but I said no just because I was going though some personal issues myself and I just couldn't hack it. As I would spend time with alot of these players/athletes on the road coming home from aways games and competition at 2am only to wake up next morning at 8/9am cos was doing a normal part time job at same time. But like I said their is hell of alot of things that go on behind close doors that fan hardly see and I guess I was lucky to be part of it for 6 month.

Ps. Sorry if this his hard to to read 

That was an excellent read, thanks. Hope it didn't stress you with the extra foot in mouth pressure from me 🤐😂

Sounds like you've had a rough ride too but again, a glimpse into a world I'll never see. 

Thanks for the info, appreciated. 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

All soft as fuch these days. Never have lasted in the trenches. Would have started making up shit like shell shock or some other weakass excuse. Shooting themselves in the foot. Real men back then - mental health my Aras. 

Or shot at dawn, which over 300 sadly were, all since pardoned.

On 30/10/2020 at 23:29, Hales said:

I'm not getting into a debate with you again about Chilwell after last time 😉😂😂

I do remember that and I wont do that again ;)

I didnt say emotionally attached even been aware of what I said last time.  I was even going to edit that post as I think it is a bit strong and now finding myself not fully agreeing some days later with my own post, but it got liked quickly so I left it.

I have tried to give players more leeway now though, I am far less active in the Barnes thread as an example.  It is also interesting to learn that for Chilwell it was confidence, before it was speculation, now it is confirmed.

Whatever the causes of it, I feel it is good for the player and the club that he moved, he is doing better at Chelsea, and we got some valuable funds.

Also given my own mental health issues, I probably should have been a bit more understanding how that can affect someone, the problem is, we just didnt know, but now I do, there is some sympathy.  If it was training ground related I hope that the coaching staff put it to bed.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

All soft as fuch these days. Never have lasted in the trenches. Would have started making up shit like shell shock or some other weakass excuse. Shooting themselves in the foot. Real men back then - mental health my Aras. 

Lolz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I understand you’re taking the piss, but...

The human brain deals well with life threatening situations - fights, wars, etc - because we use life-preserving instinct, fight-or-flight.

But less well with slow-to-build, non-life threatening yet still troubling situations, for which fight-or-flight is ill-equipt, and normally depression and more results.

People can deal with bullets flying at their head, or fists swinging for their face, and can feel the thrill of quick success. 

Yet less so with a long marriage breakdown, the slow passive-aggressiveness of a child, loneliness, the pressure of expectation.

One requires physical responses. The other, emotional. In modern times, there are many more problems in the second category.

Had to intervene but the term 'whataboutery' springs to mind

12 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Even without the War,the Peer Psychology syndrome platforms would have been different from the last 60 yrs A very macho, & man led society.

Majority of People in Physical hard work more hours in the day. Just getting your job done,Not much time to ponder on the finer things in life.

Keeping up to any expectations  from the intricities of life for the majority/masses was simply not on the table..

We didnt have a revolution,  but ...

Not putting up with ones lot,like your Mother & father, After the Wars/ Titanic etc, suddenly went off at a gallop instead of  a slow walk over generations.

Improved Education brought enlightenment & realisation of Social- normal-day  entitlement....

Probably also the growth of music, &  Theater from Jazz up to todays deliverances..

With hard Fought, or subtle changes within our society liberties, gave a more liberal peer groups, choice & responsibilities. Social & job spectrum have changed.

But shaming, Social criticism & hypocritical admiration  has Moved goal-posts ( sorry for the pun)...We have more Time on our hands...

100-60years ago, taking shit from bosses,outsiders,mates und Living with it , was more an accepted & expected occurence....

In our Social growth,evolvment  towards liberal,freedom.& More scope in our lives,

we have taken on more mental responsibilties & with that the accompanying pain & stress.

Not being heard ( no matter in what situation) or being constantly lambasted in your chosen path/what you do,

creates a  very low depressing esteem, in this now seemingly confusing liberal world...!!!

It seems every Tom,Dick & Mary ( since Womens lib), can be a Bloody pundits & Take Pot shots,without retribution....

Strange....wasn it right of  free Speech & thought, ( buggar the consequences) the Quiet Revolution & movements the generations Partly Fought for...

I wonder when the day will come when we can actually say  "We the modern man/woman"  has evolved in understanding & acceptance..!!..:dunno:

14 hours ago, Foxxed said:

The human brain deals well with life threatening situations - fights, wars, etc - because we use life-preserving instinct, fight-or-flight.

But less well with slow-to-build, non-life threatening yet still troubling situations, for which fight-or-flight is ill-equipt, and normally depression and more results.

People can deal with bullets flying at their head, or fists swinging for their face, and can feel the thrill of quick success. 

Yet less so with a long marriage breakdown, the slow passive-aggressiveness of a child, loneliness, the pressure of expectation.

One requires physical responses. The other, emotional. In modern times, there are many more problems in the second category.

Read it again. I was not taking the piss - well, not in the way I think you infer. Rather I was making a point about people generally harking back to a time when men were men and women knew their place.  This has always been with us, it likely always  will. There will always be those who fail to understand or find comfort in ridicule, but as long as more of us do get it, then we move together in the right direction. 

Anyway, my Last Post on this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 31/10/2020 at 22:31, gw_leics772 said:

That was an excellent read, thanks. Hope it didn't stress you with the extra foot in mouth pressure from me 🤐😂

Sounds like you've had a rough ride too but again, a glimpse into a world I'll never see. 

Thanks for the info, appreciated. 👍

Nah no stress in some ways it helps talk about it :)

• Like 1

On 01/11/2020 at 08:24, Foxxed said:

Nailed this, well said.

• Like 2

I'm glad he's spoken out.

He got unwarranted criticism at times last season and was singled out a lot.

This must have effected confidence because you could hear it from the stands. Remeber when Rodgers was pointing at Chilwell in front of the fans as if to say "get behind him".

He'll have a decent career.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Random, but I'm nosey'ing chelskis salary bills and it has Chilwell on £190'000 p/w and the the top paid player at the club!! Considering some of their other incomings over the summer I'm surprised that hes £20'000 p/w above Timo Werner on £170'000 p/w.

3 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Random, but I'm nosey'ing chelskis salary bills and it has Chilwell on £190'000 p/w and the the top paid player at the club!! Considering some of their other incomings over the summer I'm surprised that hes £20'000 p/w above Timo Werner on £170'000 p/w.

Surely someone like Kante or Kovacic or Silva would be on more?

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I find it hard to believe he is the top paid player, however I think he was a great player for us and been very solid for Chelsea. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Could well be the fact that we accepted less than the fee the deal was likely to go through at had we not needed the money to buy players ourself. 

Chelsea seeing a saving of say £10-15m could well have added £20k (for example) onto Chilwell’s wages.