Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

19 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It's not an unreasonable way to refer to someone without specifying their gender. In Old English, the word 'them' was used both in the singular and plural dative form, and this usage is still okay today, according to the Shorter OED. This is what is says about 'them':- In relation to a singular noun or pronoun of undetermined gender: him or her. (Considered erroneous by some.)

👍Yes I do get that, what concerns me more is that by saying (for example) "they can get it themselves" or "he/she can get it him/herself" could both be applied singularly and most people wouldn't mind which was applied. But remembering to do it constantly,at the risk of offending someone, puts more pressure on.

19 minutes ago, Flamey said:

👍Yes I do get that, what concerns me more is that by saying (for example) "they can get it themselves" or "he/she can get it him/herself" could both be applied singularly and most people wouldn't mind which was applied. But remembering to do it constantly,at the risk of offending someone, puts more pressure on.

Indeed - correcting someone else's grammar is a great way to annoy him//her/them!

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

The use of 'guys' is frequently heard in YouTube videos of mathematicians doing algebraic manipulations. What they should say is 'terms'. It does my head in when they say things like 'these guys cancel out'.

Seriously, mate, that's what you fill your time with??!!  

:jawdrop:

On 31/05/2021 at 23:21, Izzy said:

I never said I had an issue receiving the e-mail.

I too received it as constructive feedback around a habit I was previously unconscious of.

My issue is my paranoia about other 'habits' and terminology I may use that I'm not aware of.

I have had this issue as well, as you say it is constructive criticism and is really helpful in ensuring i maintin my my clients support.

I initially introduced it as an attempt to be gender neutral, but have since been advised that it is not seen that way.

As i understand it, "guys" is based very much in the male past and is seen as carry over from old times when the usual enviroment was male based.

8 hours ago, Flamey said:

How would you cope with a 'singular' person wishing to be referred to as 'they'? It melts my brain tbh..😟

If you find a $50 note on the floor and cant see who dropped it, would you be happy to say... "oh i bet the person who dropped this will be upset when they realise theyve lost it"

Everyone is generally comfortable in using it as a singular when they dont know the gender/pronoun of someone and to be fair, we now must accept we dont know everyones gender.

6 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I'm noticing an increasing amount of folk signing their emails at work with their name , followed by; Him/He or She/Her. WTF is that all about?

Actually I can guess........

Its about trying to make everyones life easier.

Thanks.. Oz, (He/Him)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Everyone is generally comfortable in using it as a singular when they dont know the gender/pronoun of someone and to be fair, we now must accept we dont know everyones gender.

Its about trying to make everyones life easier.

Thanks.. Oz, (He/Him)

It doesn't make everyone's life easier though in my opinion. It is entirely natural to ask someone "how are you?"...wouldn't people now have to change this to "how are they?" In certain situations?. 

12 hours ago, Milo said:

Seriously, mate, that's what you fill your time with??!!  

:jawdrop:

Why not? Not only is maths a fascinating subject, which I studied at uni back in the day, but also when you have someone at hot as Dr. Holly Krieger presenting the video, what's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMRB4O922I&t=73s 

3 hours ago, Flamey said:

It doesn't make everyone's life easier though in my opinion. It is entirely natural to ask someone "how are you?"...wouldn't people now have to change this to "how are they?" In certain situations?. 

no one is asking you to say "how are they"... you is non gendered and i cant imagine it poses a problem. Stick with saying how are you :)

Also i missed out mentioning re the "guys" comment. It was originally Guys & Gals.

Im going to assume many people would not be happy if their teacher/presenter etc walked in and said, "ok gals' lets get started"?

Think I can actually get behind the whole him/her tag malarkey. Think 99% of us are of the ilk where if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck then we'll call it a duck and be done with it, so having tags around could help with those that need them. Not entirely sure why a duck that looks and quacks like a duck and is actually a duck would need to tell people though, just seems excessive. 

Think the only thing that bothers me on the road to "greater acceptance" is when the line gets a bit blurry. 

For an example, person born male, grows up and decides that's wrong, turns female, okay I'm on board we're all good, not long after that, they decide they are in fact, not human, they are now a deer-in-human form. 

There is a fine line between "mentally different" (not sure on the official term I'm sure someone will fill me in) and mentally coocoobananas. (definitely not the official term, but will suffice). I think it's important that whilst accepting difference, we don't start accepting batshit craziness. 

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

Why not? Not only is maths a fascinating subject, which I studied at uni back in the day, but also when you have someone at hot as Dr. Holly Krieger presenting the video, what's not to like?

Clearly we have different definitions of 'fascinating' and 'hot'! :P

Each to their own and all that. But, fair play, bud    :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

Clearly we have different definitions of 'fascinating' and 'hot'! :P

Each to their own and all that. But, fair play, bud    :thumbup:

Maths is objectively fascinating when is applied to how we view the universe. Imagine, a species of vaguely ascended chimpanzees in suits coming up with a language to analyse how everything from the tiniest subatomic particle to the entirety of the invisible universe (much bigger than the visible universe) operates and how it will operate in uncountable billions of years from now.

Can be very dry when it's explained, but that's a matter of communication, not the subject itself.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Maths is objectively fascinating when is applied to how we view the universe. Imagine, a species of vaguely ascended chimpanzees in suits coming up with a language to analyse how everything from the tiniest subatomic particle to the entirety of the invisible universe (much bigger than the visible universe) operates and how it will operate in uncountable billions of years from now.

Can be very dry when it's explained, but that's a matter of communication, not the subject itself.

Like I said - each to their own

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think the subject is interesting not only for its applications to astrophysics and various other scientific subjects, but also as a purely abstract discipline, such as in number theory. It seems surprising to me that we can now land robots on Mars and send rockets to fly past and photograph the surface of Pluto, but still can't prove something apparently as simple as the Goldbach conjecture that every even number greater than two is the sum of two primes. From a football perspective, the final PL table of 2015/16 was maths telling us that City were league champions, so don't knock it!  

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Think I can actually get behind the whole him/her tag malarkey. Think 99% of us are of the ilk where if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck then we'll call it a duck and be done with it, so having tags around could help with those that need them. Not entirely sure why a duck that looks and quacks like a duck and is actually a duck would need to tell people though, just seems excessive. 

Think the only thing that bothers me on the road to "greater acceptance" is when the line gets a bit blurry. 

For an example, person born male, grows up and decides that's wrong, turns female, okay I'm on board we're all good, not long after that, they decide they are in fact, not human, they are now a deer-in-human form. 

There is a fine line between "mentally different" (not sure on the official term I'm sure someone will fill me in) and mentally coocoobananas. (definitely not the official term, but will suffice). I think it's important that whilst accepting difference, we don't start accepting batshit craziness. 

Probably best not to use Southpark as your guidance system :) Dat Face by photoshoper - Meme Center

3 minutes ago, Rain King said:

And people are lining up to defend it on Facebook. 😔

Crap aint it. Lines like “price you pay to be a successful team”, “think of the free stuff we get” and “look at our season ticket prices” like any of those even remotely justify it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever ruptured their Achilles’ tendon before? Just done mine today, four weeks training left of my new job too…. I’ve not been given any info in terms of what to expect other than an appointment so any advice would be welcome.