Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Always Next Year

Not Fair We Should Be Top (return of 5 subs)

The 5 subs benefits these teams in two ways. First they can play their best 11, injuries aside, at full tilt to try and establish a decent lead, then rest half the team for the next game and so on. Secondly it allows them to make big changes at half time, like Chelsea against us last season, with the back up of of still having subs left in case of injuries etc.

strange how it is those with the strongest squads in depth are those that want this back.

if we bring back this rule then it should be evened out by applying a fixed salary cap so that these sides cannot simply outbid everyone else in terms of wages

11 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Yeh but for the 4th sub you can only bring on a goalkeeper 😂

You just know Pep would bring on Ederson as CB if Laporte got injured, just to make a point  lol

As this seems to gathering more momentum, especially as both Pep and Klopp seem to never miss an opportunity to play some baffling pity card, suspect the return of 5 substitutes will happen before the end of this current season.

Is it sensible due to this wonky season? Does it really just benefit the fat clubs? Would be field 3 substitute goalkeepers? Is it remotely practical to change a whole system/formation without 5 subs?

Discuss

I am personally undecided.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Open to way too much abuse

i am totally against relaxation of 3 subs but have no problem allowing a fourth sub to be a change of keeper 

It is but how many players are going to abuse it? And what you don't want is a player who is feeling something in their hamstring or knee to keep going because they don't want to let their team down by coming off and them not being able to replace them. As they'll end up being injured for even longer. 

I don't see the big issue with the subs. I don't think it made that much difference last season other then the amount of time added at the end of games. 

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

As this seems to gathering more momentum, especially as both Pep and Klopp seem to never miss an opportunity to play some baffling pity card, suspect the return of 5 substitutes will happen before the end of this current season.

Is it sensible due to this wonky season? Does it really just benefit the fat clubs? Would be field 3 substitute goalkeepers? Is it remotely practical to change a whole system/formation without 5 subs?

Discuss

I am personally undecided.

The can moan all they want however when they make one sub and Liverpool two off the top of my head the argument becomes invalid  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I don't see the big issue with the subs. I don't think it made that much difference last season other then the amount of time added at the end of games. 

Then you weren’t watching closely enough 

It only applied after the restart 

it made many of the games like an international friendly second half - completely destroyed any rhythm in those games 

it was abused on many occasions to waste time by managers who were leading although the removal of the drinks break will relax that a little. 

and being able to play a weakened side and then change it up completely if things aren’t going for you is so supportive of the top clubs with their deep squads. 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The can moan all they want however when they make one sub and Liverpool two off the top of my head the argument becomes invalid  

Yes, this is the argument in The Athletic today. I see the argument and would agree, I do however accept that 3 subs may not let you change a whole system. On the flip side, if you need to change the whole system in the middle of a game, then you are not the manager you were cracked up to be.

12 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Troy Deeny on talk sport this morning said he thinks Champions League teams need to play on a Sunday. Bout spat my coffee out

Logistically this wouldn't have worked this season given CL teams alternate between Tuesday and Wednesday matches :dunno:. It would totally mess up TV coverage as well. Lesser teams constantly playing on a Saturday (bad for TV companies), but Sunday's would just become ridiculously clogged up too. 

• Like 1

It's dummy spitting 101 from the likes of Pep and Klopp because it's not going their way. This is the first time in about 2 years I can remember Liverpool having any major injury gripes - even then they got Alisson back way earlier than predicted, and have Thiago, Keita and Fabinho all back after the break. They have never been any worse off than ourselves and other clubs, but because it's Van Dijk we have to have it rammed down our throats every day. Man City will shell out whatever Pep needs to address the problems and ensure teams can't play a style of football that Rodri doesn't like against them. 

Consistently use all of your designated substitutes and come back to us with evidence of an injury list that is substantially worse than any other club - then it's worth a conversation. I'd imagine the issue will mysteriously disappear if these clubs hit a run of form though.

20 hours ago, The boy Linacre said:

I also think Brendan has absolutely done an amazing job over the last 6 games managing the squad and more than bought us time till the cavalry arrives next month, whats amazing is that over the last 6 games which players have performed badly, they are all playing well at the same time repeatedly.  Might not win the title as its very competitive with Liverpool & Man C but again top 4 is a massive shout and I think the players and Brendan have all learnt how to manage the situation, an exciting 30 games beckons.  We have a very very very good squad, lets hope they all stay happy, motivated and confident.

Just to Show the Cavalry, might Not be the right tactic...

Be carefull what you wish for..!!!