Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Always Next Year

Not Fair We Should Be Top (return of 5 subs)

37 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I couldn't get my head around us playing Leeds on Monday then on Thursday. Surely we should have been Sat/Sun ko not Monday.

...not sure I understand this post, surely playing on the Monday gave us a extra day, having played on the previous Thursday!!!

If it was Saturday it would have been a day sooner as Sunday was the norm.The gap between Thursday - Sunday is the same as Monday - Thursday.

• Like 1

I actually see their point that in a congested schedule, more substitutions is probably beneficial.

But the clubs, not necessarily the managers, have done their best to alienate and marginalise the lesser clubs and they are probably asking "Why should we pander to your needs now?"

You can't attempt to distort it when you want and ask for parity when you want too.

It's pretty simple, if you want your players to be fresh and ready then you'll have to play a weakened team every so often, just like we've done. Swap 3 or 4 players to give the main players a rest.

5 subs would have hardly any effect on teams like Burnley or Fulham, because the first team is hardly great quality, so the subs aren't going to be any better, nor will good players go there to sit on the bench as they don't have European games every season.

It's just once again big clubs trying to gain even more of an advantage, it makes me sick.

• Like 1

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/leicester-good-place-physically-fixture-schedule-james-justin

Leicester defender James Justin is confident they can cope with the demanding fixture schedule after the international break.

The Foxes head into the two-week hiatus sitting pretty at the top of the Premier League table.

Sunday’s 1-0 victory over Wolves was their third straight league win and came courtesy of Jamie Vardy’s ninth goal this season. It sees the East Midlanders one point clear of the chasing pack, with six wins from eight games this term.

Brendan Rodgers’ men also have a perfect record in the Europa League. Victories over Zorya Luhansk, AEK Athens and Braga see them three points clear at the summit of Group G.

Leicester have won six consecutive games in all competitions although a few pundits do not believe they will win the title.

They are due to play nine games in 28 days after the resumption, with a trip to Liverpool on November 28 next. Justin admits it is a grueling schedule but says nobody at the club is looking for any sympathy.

“It does take a toll on you after a while, but we get what we signed up for, really, and we knew how hard it was going to be this season,” he told the club’s official site. “We’re using the squad to full effect. Physically, we’re in a good place.”

However, the former Luton defender acknowledged that the international break has probably come at just the right time.

“It’s an amazing run for us and hopefully we can rest and recover in this international break and come back fresh,” he added.

Rodgers’ side have already downed the likes of Manchester City and Arsenal this season. However, Wolves are now a force to be reckoned with in the top flight and were always going to be tough.

With that in mind, James felt taking all three points was the perfect way to sign off for 14 days.

“We had to try and get through that somehow, and it was just the runs in behind that we kept on pushing and pushing, and we got the two penalties,” he continued. “We converted one, and that was enough for the game.

“We’ve shown this season that we react well to adversity and we showed that in the second half, where we had to dig in.”

Following the Liverpool clash, James and his team-mates will face a trip to Portugal to face Braga on November 26.

• Like 1

Teams know their potential schedules including us and we all knew there would be a real squeeze with fixtures this year given covid. I get that it's hard to be competitive every 3/4 days if you're playing but it's all about managing your squad. Brendan has done it beautifully, resting players where needed and it's a large reason we are where we are right now. Man City, Liverpool have deep squads that they aren't managing properly imo. I think a lot is made of fatigue when you're losing but playing twice a week isn't excessive at all.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Glad our manager and club aren't as moany. Just get on with the job they're paid to do. 

Pep and Klopp just being sore losers.

Pep hasn't even used subs in 4 of their last 5 games! Klopp the same for 2 of their recent league games. It makes their logic and argument heavily flawed. 

They're just arsey cos they're not winning nearly every game like in previous seasons. Anything to deflect from their own team's shortcomings. 

Spot on.

3 hours ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

At the risk of blowing my own argument out of the water..........

Could one of our more savvy members tell us whether the European elite clubs are using the 5 subs they are allowed

I watched the Dortmund v Bayern game on Saturday - both used just three subs.

This is such a red herring

5 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

He was so likable in the past. He's just unbearable these days.

Selfish and expects to get his own way no matter what. Arrogant but has the skill to come across as likeable. I don't like him one bit. 

• Like 4

In the game at the weekend Liverpool made 2 subs and Man City 1.

Amazing given that it’s apparently a health and safety issue that means they now want 5.

Genuinely think in the unlikely event we or another team from outside the ‘big six’ win the league or upset the big boys, then they will all break away next season in another league. Bunch of babies throwing their toys out the pram. It’s pathetic. 

Klopp just wants to steamroller teams by playing his best 11 every game and then subbing them off once they go 3 or 4 up. Rotating his squad just means he'll be fielding a weaker team, which he doesn't want to do, no-body does, but they have to, that's what makes for a great manager. Tough titties, those are the rules so stop trying to use too many games as an excuse. No-one asked them the qualify for the champions league and play all those wacky fixtures, that's their problem. Why should other teams have to suffer just because they've taken on too much.

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

But this is where it comes down to the manager getting his tactics right and selecting the right players. He's not likely to use all 3 subs because if he's got it wrong, its unlikely to impact the game as much as he would like. Having 5 subs means you can change out half your 1st 11 and completely change your setup and style.

This stinks of "elite" managers of "elite" clubs spitting their dummy out because things aren't going their way. Ridiculous arguments too. 

Playing 2 games a week is nothing new to these teams, and while the schedule is slightly tighter this year, and I do think pointless international games could be done away with for the time being, it's not that much different to how things normally are this time of year. Its because they've had 5 subs and now they're using excuses to be allowed them again. 

The only difference this year to any other (and it's a topic for another discussion) is fans not being in the stadium, which I genuinely believe has had a huge impact on players, some negatively, but on the whole some more positively and that's skewed the results so far this season, meaning there appears to be a more level playing field and the "big boys" aren't having it all there own way 

Exactly this.    The perfect example of how the big teams with the bigger quality in depth from the bench have an unfair advantage was our FA Cup game with Chelsea.

I know it was 0-0 at half time but we had dominated the half, and Chelsea were offering nothing, and had been woefull..

Then at half time, knowing they had 5 subs they could use, Lampard brought on 3 subs in one go, Kovacic, Barkley and Azpilicueta, to replace Gilmour and Mount, who had been completely bossed in the first half, and Reese James who had been realy struggling to cope with Barnes.

Then right from the kick off in the second half, Kovacic and Barkley bossed the midfield, and Azpilicueta shut Barnes down.

It was a different game, all 3 of the subs made a huge difference to the game, but if it had only been 3 subs allowed, there is no way they would have used all 3 subs at half time, due to any possible injury that may occur in the second half.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Selfish and expects to get his own way no matter what. Arrogant but has the skill to come across as likeable. I don't like him one bit. 

That ‘skill to come across as likeable’ disappeared long ago. Of all the managers in the Premier League I find him by far the least likeable (and there is plenty of competition).

His vindictive, unjustified bad-mouthing of Choudhury for that tackle on Salah last season - which we all know was to deflect media attention away from Mane’s match-winning dive - was despicable. And, as he never apologised for it, unforgivable.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Exactly this.    The perfect example of how the big teams with the bigger quality in depth from the bench have an unfair advantage was our FA Cup game with Chelsea.

I know it was 0-0 at half time but we had dominated the half, and Chelsea were offering nothing, and had been woefull..

Then at half time, knowing they had 5 subs they could use, Lampard brought on 3 subs in one go, Kovacic, Barkley and Azpilicueta, to replace Gilmour and Mount, who had been completely bossed in the first half, and Reese James who had been realy struggling to cope with Barnes.

Then right from the kick off in the second half, Kovacic and Barkley bossed the midfield, and Azpilicueta shut Barnes down.

It was a different game, all 3 of the subs made a huge difference to the game, but if it had only been 3 subs allowed, there is no way they would have used all 3 subs at half time, due to any possible injury that may occur in the second half.

Exactly this  ............ it’s a nonsense argument based on there not being six subs yesterday when it was clear that both teams were struggling for fitness ..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

In the game at the weekend Liverpool made 2 subs and Man City 1.

Amazing given that it’s apparently a health and safety issue that means they now want 5.

I don't think either team bothered doing anything strenuous after the 50th minute.

7 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

He was so likable in the past. He's just unbearable these days.

He's charismatic when things are going well and the media lap that up. They convenient forget how much of a whinge he is when things go wrong.

• Like 1