Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manini

Who are your Role Models?

Having a discussion at work today about role models and I thought it might be a good topic of discussion on here. 

“Role Model” (in the true sense of the word) Is probably a dodgy term when I think about it as a lot of the people I look up to have colourful pasts to be honest when you scratch beneath the surface, but they’ve all gone on to achieve amazing things in their fields. 

For me I would say Tyson Fury is high up on my list. Somebody who hit rock bottom both physically and mentally but turned his life around to become the Heavyweight Champion of the World. An incredible story and very inspiring on a number of different levels. 

Ian Botham and Kevin Pietersen are another couple of sporting ones. Both devastating cricketers on their day who made you proud to be English watching them play. Also for the great work they’ve both done for charity and animal conservation respectively. 

Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys. Incredible lyricist and my first “idol” if you like when I was growing up. Some of my very best memories ever have been at AM concerts. 

I could be here all day listing people that inspire me and who I look to to to be honest but I’m interested to see what other people think.

Who would you say and why? 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Manini said:

Having a discussion at work today about role models and I thought it might be a good topic of discussion on here. 

“Role Model” (in the trust sense of the word) Is probably a dodgy term when I think about it as a lot of the people I look up to have colourful pasts to be honest when you scratch beneath the surface, but they’ve all gone on to achieve amazing things in their fields. 

For me I would say Tyson Fury is high up on my list. Somebody who hit rock bottom both physically and mentally but turned his life around to become the Heavyweight Champion of the World. An incredible story and very inspiring on a number of different levels. 

Ian Botham and Kevin Pietersen are another couple of sporting ones. Both devastating cricketers on their day who made you proud to be English watching them play. Also for the great work they’ve both done for charity and animal conservation respectively. 

Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys. Incredible lyricist and my first “idol” if you like when I was growing up. Some of my very best memories ever have been at AM concerts. 

I could be here all day listing people that inspire me and who I look to to to be honest but I’m interested to see what other people think.

Who would you say and why? 

English?! 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Paninistickers said:

English?! 😂

Yes he played for England. Come on mate half the ****ing team speak Afrikaans if you think I’m going to let place of birth take away from my patriotism you are sorely mistaken! An Irishman lifted the World Cup last year ffs lol 

• Like 1

For me a role model is someone who knows how to conduct themselves in public and who offer wisdom and inspiration to people.  Someone is is able to listen to another persons view without yelling or screaming or all the theatrics. Someone you can look up to and maybe they’ve made mistakes but they own and learn from their mistakes. Someone who is humble not “ hey everyone look at me”. Someone who enjoys helping others. And wants to make society better for everyone not just themselves.

• Like 1

As a kid Paul Merson he just looked like someone who enjoyed playing football and played it with alot of passion, never realised the problems he had off it though. David Beckham aswell I felt between 2001-2006 he was by miles England best player. Never should have been dropped by McClaren still had lot to offer and we just totally lacked them great set peices and free kicks after he left, mind Becks got the final laugh when McClaren recalled him for the final two qualifers. That moment against Greece must have inspired many kids growing up. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

I recently read Andrew Carnegie's autobiography - his philanthropic activities were pure class and clearly a super intelligent and thoughtful man.

Continuing on the business theme, an American guy who I hadn't heard of until recently is Marcus Lemonis.  He has a show on CNBC calle The Profit where he invests in small businesses in America.  The way he tackles problems and remains calm under pressure is an inspiration.

Closer to home, Jamie Vardy, of course is a classic rags to riches tale.  Kasper Schmeichel is clearly someone who takes his work very seriously and Marc Albrighton should be the role model for any aspiring young footballer.  He is the consumate pro.  Faultless in my eyes.

I'd like to say my dad. But he sexually abused me. A lifetime affected by that. Just gotta get on with it.

If anyone has been a role model it would be my step-mum. Tolerant, wise, emotionally generous, from a simple background but with a bottomless pit of love for me. (she never knew about what my dad did)

• Sad 4

Mine is a Californian friend of mine, an erstwhile hiking companion. She solo thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail earlier this year, and is about to solo hike the Florida Trail.

No great shakes you might think but she has just turned 74. I think of her every time I get depressed at my impending old age.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

Take every Person you Meet as your Role model, listen, relate, learn & be prepared to exchange or share your experiences,

with either the young or the ones where the Eyes. twinkle between a long life's fold of winkles...I

They all have something to offer or to express....