Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

Forgive me if I'm wrong,  but didn't Evans go off injured with blurred vision in an eye? I hope this was a one off and related to something that happened in the game but this can actually be a really serious occurance for footballers. It used to happen to be a bit and was a nightmare, couldn't play at all when it happened. 

1 minute ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Why is he always so far behind the rest of our defence? Always playing the opposition on side!

Our offside line has been horrible for a lot of this season. We seem to just rely on having very good defenders but they're not the most synchronised as a unit.

Would be interested to see how many goals we have conceded by Evans playing somebody onside. It's not the first time it's happened this season 

No player has ever missed as many good chances as he has either lol

Not gonna dig a CB out for being appalling infront of goal ghouvh haha

City supporters watching Sunday’s game may have feared for Jonny Evans, the centre-back grimacing as he left the pitch for half-time.

Although Evans had a painful toe injury, he was fine to continue in the West Midlands, and should be able to play on Wednesday.

“Jonny will be fine,” Rodgers said. “His actual toenail was coming off and I think in one of the challenges when he stepped in, it came off in the game.

“So he was able to get that sorted at half-time and was then better in the second half. Sorry about the full detail there, but that’s what happened.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/teenage-defender-rejected-leicester-city-4977637

Yes I love Jonny Evans, he's been great for us and our most important centre back, not least for his organisation and coaxing of the younger guns. Just one small criticism that applies to all our centre backs at set pieces and corners. ...put the chances away! I know they are rare because of our dubious delivery record, but if that opportunity comes your way and you get a foot or head on it...Stick it in the onion bag! 

On a serious note, what happened to Evan's when we picked him up on a free and he was released by WBA. Was it simply clubs not interested with him being associated with WBA? Or his decline from utd to WBA as a factor? Or his salary requirements? I dont seem to remember any competition at the time for his signature, which is shocking what happens when you sign him and play him in a quality team like ours and his talent shines through.

Just now, UHDrive said:

On a serious note, what happened to Evan's when we picked him up on a free and he was released by WBA. Was it simply clubs not interested with him being associated with WBA? Or his decline from utd to WBA as a factor? Or his salary requirements? I dont seem to remember any competition at the time for his signature, which is shocking what happens when you sign him and play him in a quality team like ours and his talent shines through.

I actually remember us being in for him a window or two earlier and both us and arsenal had bids of around 20 mil turned down. Also Man City were interested too. 

But I think the fact he was involved in that stolen taxi scandal and was Relegated with the baggies and a year older probably put them off and gave us a clear run for 3 million or whatever the clause was. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Think he's been brilliant for a while now but didn't he give away the peno against man u at home last year and head into his own net against Liverpool this year? Just interesting that they don't count as mistakes leading to opposition goals. 

I think they interview the player afterwards and ask them if they regret scoring an own goal. Evans said he meant it.

• Haha 2

Evans is a very good player for us. Yes he's had his brain fart moments in some key games no doubt but for the most part we can let those slide since his overall performance is pretty solid. His holding the ball for too long is symptomatic of his cautious style of play often a result of not finding players in good positions to release a pass to. This is something thats frustrating for the team as a whole. Does the defender start the attacking move or does the midfield? It should be both of course being fluid is the key. Against sticky opposition and a high press Evans can get himself in trouble. Anyway, I'd like Rogers to use Evans time at out club to groom his successor and that should be Fofana. No way we should let him leave for any amount this summer to liverpool or anyone else!