Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Why do people feel the need to do this? So what if a couple of posters are debating something? I'm pretty sure it'll run its natural course. 

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Can I suggest that you guys aren't going to resolve this?

Just a debate on different views of the incident. Nothing nasty. 

we’re all Leicester :thumbup: (except the bear, Henrick and maybe dangerous tiger lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

There was no review, the offside was called straight away, point is Evans wasn't aware Long was offside when making the challenge.

I dunno Long was a good few yards ahead of the defensive line. Given it was a direct opponent of Evans as well. I did think it was foolishly at the time but on the replay may be not so sure 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I dunno Long was a good few yards ahead of the defensive line. Given it was a direct opponent of Evans as well. I did think it was foolishly at the time but on the replay may be not so sure 

If he knew Long was offside, why made the challenge at all. VAR would rule him off even if the linesman missed it. Only reason Evans makes the challenge is because he thinks Long is onside, otherwise why the desperation?

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

If he knew Long was offside, why made the challenge at all. VAR would rule him off even if the linesman missed it. Only reason Evans makes the challenge is because he thinks Long is onside, otherwise why the desperation?

As a playing CB, it’s a naughty little thing called leaving one on someone - particularly given Long’s normally combative nature. 

JV did a corker on Thiago Silva last night 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

As a playing CB, it’s a naughty little thing called leaving one on someone - particularly given Long’s normally combative nature. 

JV did a corker on Thiago Silva last night 

Risky if he's not sure of hes onside or not. Evans is clearly after the ball, he's looking up before he shoves Long over. He panicked and was rash, simple as that.

8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I know Long stole an advantage, thats why it was offside and not a penalty. But Evans didn't know that, yet he felt that it was a good decision to barge into the back of what he assumed was a legally positioned player. Long being offside isn't relevant to Evans' decision making in that situation, as he clearly thought he was onside or he wouldn't have made such a desperate attempt to get to the ball before him.

Mm, a yard, a foot, whatever, far to close for comfort and he wouldn't have been fully aware that he was making contact in or out the area in that split second. It was a desperate lung when there were other players around that meant it wasn't needed.

It isn’t as clear cut as you’re making out. 

Whether he thought Long was offside or not, he hardly has time to check the line and then make his decision. It’s reactionary.

The only reason he had to make a challenge like he did was because Long WAS offside. That challenge doesn’t happen the same way if he’s onside.

Then there’s the gamble that he is onside and he needs to make a challenge regardless. He shouldn’t have been rash but again, it doesn’t happen how it did if Long is onside. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

It isn’t as clear cut as you’re making out. 

Whether he thought Long was offside or not, he hardly has time to check the line and then make his decision. It’s reactionary.

The only reason he had to make a challenge like he did was because Long WAS offside. That challenge doesn’t happen the same way if he’s onside.

Then there’s the gamble that he is onside and he needs to make a challenge regardless. He shouldn’t have been rash but again, it doesn’t happen how it did if Long is onside. 

I've already said I'm aware Long being offside got him into that position, what I'm criticising is how he dealt with it.

15 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I've already said I'm aware Long being offside got him into that position, what I'm criticising is how he dealt with it.

I know, however it seems redundant to analyse how he reacted to it due to the circumstances. 

I do see your point though. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

19 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Just a debate on different views of the incident. Nothing nasty. 

we’re all Leicester :thumbup: (except the bear, Henrick and maybe dangerous tiger lol

Henrik's as blue as the rest us.  The Bear is just taking a little longer.   :)

• Haha 3

With games coming thick and fast in the next few weeks, potentially longer if our Europa and FA Cup runs are good we'll hopefully rotate to have the best pairing for each match and afford one a few extra days rest. We have 3 quality defender who each have different strengths. 

It's a great problem to have considering we were contemplating Filbert Fox or Doris the Tea lady as CB at the start of the season :D

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

Absolutely and did the same for Maguire and Soyuncu. Fofana and Soyuncu may be the future but for now they both need an Evans. Some people criticised Armarty at the weekend but I think it may have been a slightly different performance with Evans alongside for confidence and instruction. Evans is worth his weight in gold.

Almost like it takes Evans a bit of time to learn about his defensive partner and then he can adapt his own game accordingly. Quality player. 

• Like 4