Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

18 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

If Evans wants to prolong his career, he needs to bin off internationals but unfortunately he won't. If he continues to play regularly for them, even when he isn't fit, I fear his career here is finished. If we can't rely on him to be fit because he is choosing to continue to play internationals then I can see us getting Tarkowski next summer on a free as well as having Fofana, Vestergaard and Soyuncu. I don't want to lose Evans as he is our best cb when he is fit but sometimes you have to choose your club that pays your wages over a country that will hardly ever win a game! 

Surely the club can’t stop him playing if he is not fit to play for his club side , they do pay his wages after all .

36 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

Sir Alex goes to United games all the time, he doesn’t manage the team mind….it’s called supporting everyone…Evans is easily the most experienced NI player…

While he’s probably disappointed not to be playing any football at the minute, maybe he wants to travel and see his compatriots. Likely Rodgers and Barraclough had a chat and agreed for him to go. Evans probably has as much experience as the coaches with regards defending and it could do him no harm (providing he doesn’t play obviously). 

if he's back in full training by then we should have him at Seagrave over the international break working with Cags, Big Dan, Bertrand, Ricardo & Thomas on our back line.(players from red list countries can't travel from the UK). After him being out for 3 months and our defence being in a mess, the international break would be the perfect opportunity to work on our defence in training

1 hour ago, Reg Vardy said:

Sir Alex goes to United games all the time, he doesn’t manage the team mind….it’s called supporting everyone…Evans is easily the most experienced NI player…

Sir Alex goes to United games because he is a club ambassador and director

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

If Evans wants to prolong his career, he needs to bin off internationals but unfortunately he won't. If he continues to play regularly for them, even when he isn't fit, I fear his career here is finished. If we can't rely on him to be fit because he is choosing to continue to play internationals then I can see us getting Tarkowski next summer on a free as well as having Fofana, Vestergaard and Soyuncu. I don't want to lose Evans as he is our best cb when he is fit but sometimes you have to choose your club that pays your wages over a country that will hardly ever win a game! 

What an absolute nonsense. For Johnny and many other Players, playing for your country is the absolute pinnacle of their careers. 

He doesn't have to choose to do anything, It's his career and life and he can do what he wants. More power to him. 

Also very arrogant to say northern Ireland hardly ever win, Johnny has played in 30 northern ireland wins including versus: Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic and Austria. He also took them to the first major tournament in 30 years, in fact its not too much of a jump to say taking them to a world cup next summer would mean as much as any of his league and Cup wins with us and United. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

What an absolute nonsense. For Johnny and many other Players, playing for your country is the absolute pinnacle of their careers. 

He doesn't have to choose to do anything, It's his career and life and he can do what he wants. More power to him. 

Also very arrogant to say northern Ireland hardly ever win, Johnny has played in 30 northern ireland wins including versus: Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic and Austria. He also took them to the first major tournament in 30 years, in fact its not too much of a jump to say taking them to a world cup next summer would mean as much as any of his league and Cup wins with us and United. 

Of course its his choice. Just like it would be the clubs choice not to renew his contract if he's never fit. Most players when they get older and struggle with fitness/injuries bin off international football to prolong their club career. Best decision Vardy ever made for example but I understand the differences that Vardy never really played much and Evans always plays (even when he's injured) and he is the captain. It wouldn't bother me if NI could be trusted to look out for his welfare but they never have and will continue not to do so. The talk from Barraclough is nonsense. I fully expect Evans to be picked for NI even if he hasn't kicked a ball for us and even if he's not even fit. And Rodgers won't say anything as he's also from NI. Any other club in the prem would 100% have stopped him being called up. 

On 24/08/2021 at 13:15, jayfox26 said:

Nah, to harsh, you can't just tell someone to stop playing for their Country. No doubt he'll be proud to represent them. Evans knows better than anyone, the bloke has won more than anybody else at the club.

As for Tarkowski, there's no way Burnley let him go for free. If he won't sign a new deal then he'll go for less but, Burnley aren't idiots, he'll go for a fee.

14 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Of course its his choice. Just like it would be the clubs choice not to renew his contract if he's never fit. Most players when they get older and struggle with fitness/injuries bin off international football to prolong their club career. Best decision Vardy ever made for example but I understand the differences that Vardy never really played much and Evans always plays (even when he's injured) and he is the captain. It wouldn't bother me if NI could be trusted to look out for his welfare but they never have and will continue not to do so. The talk from Barraclough is nonsense. I fully expect Evans to be picked for NI even if he hasn't kicked a ball for us and even if he's not even fit. And Rodgers won't say anything as he's also from NI. Any other club in the prem would 100% have stopped him being called up. 

Johnny Evans has been fit and available for 87 percent of Premier league games since he signed. Not bad considering we signed him in his 30s and NI "have never looked after his welfare". 

Also people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones wasn't it Leicester City that played him in the cup final despite it being plainly obvious to everyone watching that he was no where near fit and then surprise surprise he broke down injured after 30 mins and hasn't played since. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Nah, to harsh, you can't just tell someone to stop playing for their Country. No doubt he'll be proud to represent them. Evans knows better than anyone, the bloke has won more than anybody else at the club.

As for Tarkowski, there's no way Burnley let him go for free. If he won't sign a new deal then he'll go for less but, Burnley aren't idiots, he'll go for a fee.

I never said we should tell him to stop playing. He needs to make that decision on his own. Of course he Will continue playing for NI until the day he fully retires from football, but unfortunately for him, his retirement date may come sooner rather than later if he can't get fit and continues to be played by NI when he isn't even fit

Barraclough has come out and said that he's had a chat with Rodgers about this. 

Frankly, if he's fit enough for 30-40minutes for NI, then thats fine by me. He gets a slight preseason game, we get to see how rusty he is before we throw him in against a prem team.

You can't stop him wanting to play for his nation, or atleast be around the squad if he's invited. Some guys would do anything to represent for their country. Banning him would cause resentment.

4 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Johnny Evans has been fit and available for 87 percent of Premier league games since he signed. Not bad considering we signed him in his 30s and NI "have never looked after his welfare". 

Also people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones wasn't it Leicester City that played him in the cup final despite it being plainly obvious to everyone watching that he was no where near fit and then surprise surprise he broke down injured after 30 mins and hasn't played since. 

We pay his wages. NI don't. Not saying its right we played him in the final but if he said he was ready and wanted to play, would have been harsh to not pick him in what could be his last ever fa Cup final. Its totally his decision what he does and yes I'm biased as I couldn't give 2 hoots about NI but aside from the club vs country issue, he needs to consider how long he can continue his footballing career if he is going to play every single game for club and Country when he is available (or not available in the case of NI). 

10 minutes ago, ts_1010 said:

Barraclough has come out and said that he's had a chat with Rodgers about this. 

Frankly, if he's fit enough for 30-40minutes for NI, then thats fine by me. He gets a slight preseason game, we get to see how rusty he is before we throw him in against a prem team.

You can't stop him wanting to play for his nation, or atleast be around the squad if he's invited. Some guys would do anything to represent for their country. Banning him would cause resentment.

The club  would never ban him from playing. However they should have stopped him being called up this time. Imagine Kane had been injured and not played a game for Spurs and then England call him up, Spurs would be in uproar and would put a stop to it, as would any other prem club for that matter 

If Brendan says he's "not close to playing" that probably means he won't play before Christmas as Brendan's couple of weeks out usually equates to a couple of months.

This is starting to feel like what happened to Huth and he basically never played again.

10 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

what kind of madness is this?

Sir Alex Ferguson is not a professional footballer who has missed games for his club.

41 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

We pay his wages. NI don't. Not saying its right we played him in the final but if he said he was ready and wanted to play, would have been harsh to not pick him in what could be his last ever fa Cup final. Its totally his decision what he does and yes I'm biased as I couldn't give 2 hoots about NI but aside from the club vs country issue, he needs to consider how long he can continue his footballing career if he is going to play every single game for club and Country when he is available (or not available in the case of NI). 

But if you understand sportsman, Then you would give Two hoots...They are probably Not so Selfish as the fans following them..

its that Determination and choice in descisions,that makes Evans the man & character we want....Same as Vardy who decided otherwisees

2 strong willed men, who despite the noise, will make their own descisions....

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Tarkowski will almost certainly be leaving on a free next summer. He's in the last year of his contract and he's not signing a new one. I think it's very unlikely, but they could sell him in January, but I think they would have sold him by now if they wanted a fee for him.

10 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

He can support the team, in person, without being named in the playing squad.

49 minutes ago, MPH said:

what kind of madness is this?

Sir Alex Ferguson is not a professional footballer who has missed games for his club.

And you must be mad to think Evans will play for his country….he won’t, he is there for what he brings to the dressing room…..and the youthful squad NI have….called experience fella