Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

This is all so depressing.  With Fofana's injiury on top of this, it really threatens to derail our season before it has even properly begun.  I don't think we can cope long term with Amartey or Vestergaard alongside Cags.  That probably means going with both as 3atb to cover our weaknesses and maybe get another on loan and the right hand side will just have to wait for another year.

That Nino has a lot to answer for.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, murphy said:

This is all so depressing.  With Fofana's injiury on top of this, it really threatens to derail our season before it has even properly begun.  I don't think we can cope long term with Amartey or Vestergaard alongside Cags.  That probably means going with both as 3atb to cover our weaknesses and maybe get another on loan and the right hand side will just have to wait for another year.

That Nino has a lot to answer for.

It is depressing but, with a bit of luck, and the only slight upside, we're less likely to persist with the 3 at the back because we'll always want to keep 1 centre half in reserve in case of fatigue or injury. Who knows, by the end of season, with a run of games, Armarty might have come on leaps and bounds! 🤞

If his recovery goes OK and I know it's perhaps a waste, but I seem to remember JJ filling in as one of 3 centre halves. Could he be a short term back up if really needed? It would save putting Ndidi there and weakening our midfield? Would Nelson be ready for early round cup competitions to give others a rest, it would be great experience for him. I know very little about him to be honest. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

If Benko can avoid getting injured then he’ll get some time. I’m still

hopeful he can be of some use.

Soyuncu, Vesty, Amartey and Benko are not ideal but considering we’ve lost two of our main guys it’s not too bad.

Disagree. Playing two or three from the the four you've listed will not be good enough for the level we want to compete at. We need Evans back as soon as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

It is depressing but, with a bit of luck, and the only slight upside, we're less likely to persist with the 3 at the back because we'll always want to keep 1 centre half in reserve in case of fatigue or injury. Who knows, by the end of season, with a run of games, Armarty might have come on leaps and bounds! 🤞

If his recovery goes OK and I know it's perhaps a waste, but I seem to remember JJ filling in as one of 3 centre halves. Could he be a short term back up if really needed? It would save putting Ndidi there and weakening our midfield? Would Nelson be ready for early round cup competitions to give others a rest, it would be great experience for him. I know very little about him to be honest. 

24 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

If Benko can avoid getting injured then he’ll get some time. I’m still

hopeful he can be of some use.

Soyuncu, Vesty, Amartey and Benko are not ideal but considering we’ve lost two of our main guys it’s not too bad.

Castagne was the poor sod charged with filling in as third option back end last season.  Hence I expect him to do so again - assuming his injury doesn’t mean he can’t make continuous headed clearances in a game …….. (both physically and mentally) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Disagree. Playing two or three from the the four you've listed will not be good enough for the level we want to compete at. We need Evans back as soon as possible.

I can’t see us signing another CB, especially someone considered for the first team.

For a makeshift defence it could be a lot worse.

But fair play I take your point and agree we need Evans back soon as.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Castagne was the poor sod charged with filling in as third option back end last season.  Hence I expect him to do so again - assuming his injury doesn’t mean he can’t make continuous headed clearances in a game …….. (both physically and mentally) 

He was and although it wasn't his fault that he was thrust into an unfamiliar position, he was pretty useless in fairness. I remember that one match, the pundits even made comment about his poor stats they were that bad. Although he can do a job on the left, that too wasn't as good as expected perhaps. Would prefer Bertrand, JJ and Thomas their before him.

Excellent on the right though.

It is what it is, and we just need to cope with what we have. With what we have available now, Brendan needs to compromise on our style and let big Dan play like Huth, just no nonense defending and limited passing out from the back.

We could do with another decent CB with the Evans situation, as our options right now are not great and we know first time Caglar is with Turkey, they will break him as usual.

Its annoying that after a season of horrific injuries, we seem to be at it again, but it is, what is it and at least we have a decent manager, who will get the best out of the situation.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He was and although it wasn't his fault that he was thrust into an unfamiliar position, he was pretty useless in fairness. I remember that one match, the pundits even made comment about his poor stats they were that bad. Although he can do a job on the left, that too wasn't as good as expected perhaps. Would prefer Bertrand, JJ and Thomas their before him.

Excellent on the right though.

So he’s good enough for Belgium but not Lcfc ???

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

So he’s good enough for Belgium but not Lcfc ???

He doesn't play centre half for Belgium does he. In any case, just because a player plays for their national side does equate to them being good enough for their club sides. Check out the left and right backs of current Euro winners in the final. Neither were first choice for their club sides.

Edited by volpeazzurro

On 21/08/2021 at 14:43, oxford blue said:

It's reported this is a Plantar Fascitis injury; this will not be short term as explained in article below:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14709-plantar-fasciitis

Even allowing that he will be receiving professional treatment, I think we could be looking at Jan/Feb before he returns, on best case scenario. Totally speculative of course, but after recovery he has to get match fit. This is a difficult injury for a professional footballer; I hope the medical team can work out the specific cause otherwise this will be even more serious tas problem could easily be repeated.

I have it. I play three games a week by using a foot strap to lift the arch. I genuinely don’t understand how this prevents someone playing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Because not everyone experiences it the same…

Mine is a sharp stabbing pain that feels like the foot is tearing in two - the support eliminates this - I can’t imagine the pain being worse when untreated. Hence my confusion as to how it prevents anyone playing. 

I dont think its as simple as wearing insole supports, especially when you consider the impact it will have on the feel of kicking the ball and running.

Given the nature of the injury and his age I think he could be done as well. :( 

Not sure if the solution is to keep piling in CBs on the books though.  We have bigger problems in other areas of the pitch.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Been called up by NI… surely we have to stop him going?

They've been in contact with Brendan about this. Madness to think he could possible play within 2 weeks after 3 months out and still not back in full training. Surely it would be better to stay behind and train at seagrave even if he's recovered by then.

"Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers said last week that Evans is “not close to playing” and Baraclough had vowed not to risk the 33-year-old’s long-term fitness.

"Jonny is definitely going to be a doubt but I wasn't going to name the squad without him if there was a small chance he was going to be involved,” said the boss. "He hasn't started training with Leicester yet so it is a big ask for him to be involved but through conversations with him and Brendan, we all know the situation."

"Nobody is going to put him at risk when he's not quite ready and gamble on him. If he can play a small part in the 10 days that we have together, we'll give him every chance of that.

"We hope that we see him back fit and playing. We'd like to have him among our ranks, Leicester certainly would like him to be involved in their campaign so fingers crossed, but it is a doubt, I have to say.”

Also quoted on Skysports:

Discussing the latest on Evans' recovery from injury, Baraclough said: "He's taken advice from professionals. It's the type of injury that can go as quickly as it came but it's been worrying."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-squad-jonny-evans-risk-promise-made-to-leicesterwhilechallenge-set-for-disappointedkyle-lafferty-40782239.html

If Evans wants to prolong his career, he needs to bin off internationals but unfortunately he won't. If he continues to play regularly for them, even when he isn't fit, I fear his career here is finished. If we can't rely on him to be fit because he is choosing to continue to play internationals then I can see us getting Tarkowski next summer on a free as well as having Fofana, Vestergaard and Soyuncu. I don't want to lose Evans as he is our best cb when he is fit but sometimes you have to choose your club that pays your wages over a country that will hardly ever win a game! 

• Like 1