Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

1 minute ago, Ed 1 said:

3 years is long enough to form an opinion surely?! 

I’m not here as a fan of Luke Thomas, I’m here as a fan of LCFC. Good for him if he wishes to “find himself in a new environment at a lower level”, I just wish that weren’t with us having played his part in us being relegated to the aforementioned “lower level”.

Apologies if I’m coming across as abrasive by the way. I just get fed up of the hate spewed towards our young players constantly.

You say 3 years, but that’s in and out the side, not playing regularly, in a failing side, down on confidence, under the same manager with tired ideas. 

If you were a fan of LCFC, surely you’d get behind our players, back them to improve and take pride in young players breaking through?

Question, if he played 46 games for us this season, helped us get promoted, got double figures for goals and assists and was part of a really strong defensive performance, can you honestly say you’d change your opinion or would you say ‘he’s found his level’?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Apologies if I’m coming across as abrasive by the way. I just get fed up of the hate spewed towards our young players constantly.

You say 3 years, but that’s in and out the side, not playing regularly, in a failing side, down on confidence, under the same manager with tired ideas. 

If you were a fan of LCFC, surely you’d get behind our players, back them to improve and take pride in young players breaking through?

Question, if he played 46 games for us this season, helped us get promoted, got double figures for goals and assists and was part of a really strong defensive performance, can you honestly say you’d change your opinion or would you say ‘he’s found his level’?

Most on here are statistic obsessed , I wonder why?. Luke is a decent player who will never be a great player. For some that is not enough but for us , he is plenty good enough. As he would be for most teams in our position.

• Like 3

Having a reliable academy player is great. Honestly if KDH, Thomas, Hamza and Braybrooke all featured regularly this season and we had a good go, you can't say fairer than that.

Even Man City, with all their billions and so-called "pull" have only really given out Foden in the last 5+ years. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

No need to apologise mate. Believe me we share a desire in wanting our academy players to do well (I’m excited to see Braybrooke and Alves post injuries!) 

I get what you’re saying about the fact that Luke was in and out of the side over the three years, however there is good reason for that. As I previously mentioned I just don’t see the attributes that would make Luke successful at a higher level. He’s not particularly good at tackling, not imposing physically, doesn’t score often, not great at heading etc. 

Please don’t question my desire as you did when you said “if you were a fan of LCFC”; that’s unfair. As I say I’m not a fan of individual players, moreover I’m a fan of LCFC which shall remain long after Thomas et al have gone. I always “get behind” the players on match days and “take pride in our young players breaking through”. One thing I agree with you I don’t do is to back ALL OF THEM to improve. Some of them, yes. But if someone’s not good enough at their job, whatever it may be, and have been given adequate time to show their worth and improve, then they’re generally asked to leave?

I would be extremely happy to be proved wrong by Luke. If he does as you say he might I’ll eat humble pie and congratulate the lad, absolutely!! I may still remain reticent that he could cut it in the PL, but as I say my opinion would highly likely change if he does as you mention…  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Even Man City, with all their billions and so-called "pull" have only really given out Foden in the last 5+ years.

I get the idea, but this is a poor example. The standard of player needed to come through for the Man City side is levels above everyone else tbf so it's far harder to do. Academies at lower levels should always be producing more players for their own team because the standard required is far lower and the options in the market are narrower too.

Players coming through will have a base and a ceiling. There is no ceiling for any academy player (theoretically) but there is a base for all of them and the further up the ladder you go the higher that base will be. A club like Man City could have that base as world class status. Ours is now, what, promotion standard?

I know what you're saying though, but I just went OCD on the use of the Abu Dhabi Mancs as an example.

42 minutes ago, Ed 1 said:

No need to apologise mate. Believe me we share a desire in wanting our academy players to do well (I’m excited to see Braybrooke and Alves post injuries!) 

I get what you’re saying about the fact that Luke was in and out of the side over the three years, however there is good reason for that. As I previously mentioned I just don’t see the attributes that would make Luke successful at a higher level. He’s not particularly good at tackling, not imposing physically, doesn’t score often, not great at heading etc. 

Please don’t question my desire as you did when you said “if you were a fan of LCFC”; that’s unfair. As I say I’m not a fan of individual players, moreover I’m a fan of LCFC which shall remain long after Thomas et al have gone. I always “get behind” the players on match days and “take pride in our young players breaking through”. One thing I agree with you I don’t do is to back ALL OF THEM to improve. Some of them, yes. But if someone’s not good enough at their job, whatever it may be, and have been given adequate time to show their worth and improve, then they’re generally asked to leave?

I would be extremely happy to be proved wrong by Luke. If he does as you say he might I’ll eat humble pie and congratulate the lad, absolutely!! I may still remain reticent that he could cut it in the PL, but as I say my opinion would highly likely change if he does as you mention…  

See I worry for Alves and Braybrooke that they will soon be subject to the same treatment from some (not saying from yourself).

Fair enough if you’re basing your views of looking at his attributes and making an informed opinion, rather than just the lazy views that are elsewhere. 

My comment about being a fan of LCFC was meant more generally not an attempt to suggest you aren’t. I will definitely get to a point where I think players should go. There’s a number of them such as the likes of Ward, Vestergard, Castagne and Ndidi etc where I’ve seen enough and would like them to move on.

However, there’s a selection of the young players such as Thomas, KDH, Daka and Soumare to name a few that I feel have never had a change of scenery or environment since joining/breaking through. I’m not saying any of them will become quality for Premier League level but I am personally keen to see a bit more under the new manager and having dropped down a level. We use the term ‘needs a Championship loan’ a bit and I see this as that opportunity. If they do not impress given these new circumstances, I would be very willing to concede they have had enough chances. 

I suppose it is a case of when the bit I have bolded from your post gets to that stage for each individual. You’re obviously there with Thomas, I’m not yet but may well be as I say, if he doesn’t take the opportunity.

Fair enough on the last bit, there will definitely be people who won’t. I think if a player for another club hit the kind of example I suggested, we’d be hailing them as the next best thing so I guess where you have said you’d still be wary about whether he can step up if he did achieve that, shows that the grass is greener elsewhere! 

12 hours ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Last comment was 46 days ago!!!!!!

Our own city lad has played his part in getting to a final, be it U21 and because everything has been so fractious about our club we've forgotten he's away in a tournament. 

Good luck in the final Luke, (selected or not) we all know you're a genuine Leicester player through the ranks and congratulations mate for being part of a successful team.

:appl:

Credit to him, hopefully he comes back a better player.

52 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

38 games of dross last season from all,our so called star players….

And some insist on having a go at Thomas,Justin,Iversen,Kristiansen…

None who completed a fair set of games,most thrown in at the deep end because of failings or injuries,to others ,no natural step or leap…

And all have produced good performances,against games played in stuttering 2 seasons.with a manager who completely lost his sight on mojo,tactics and individuals….Plus now proven a poor coaching staff who they could turn to..

Too many posters love to massacre every single player,and pick faults, but the forum failed more miserably than those they judge,when you compare how many

players they wanted out,to how many that proved to be good investments…

Vardy,Maddison,Soyuncu,,Ricardo,Kante to name a few..

Good points!

5 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

First bit of second?

First but I hope it won’t be more than this year of course. But the point is we can’t just expect to be back this time next year. 

Second bit, a large number of our supporters are vile towards any academy graduates so I wouldn’t blamed them wanting to move on. 

You don't sound very optimistic that's all. I suppose you would like the academy graduates to have a safe place to get away from hurtful comments and other such real-life scenarios then. The first thing you learn if you are going to be a pro footballer is to take no notice of joe public.

4 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

You don't sound very optimistic that's all. I suppose you would like the academy graduates to have a safe place to get away from hurtful comments and other such real-life scenarios then. The first thing you learn if you are going to be a pro footballer is to take no notice of joe public.

Oh no, I am quite optimistic. I like the appointment of Enzo and like Coady and Winks as stand alone signings. Slightly less positive since last week given it’s been a quiet week on the incomings and we will need quite a few but still plenty of time so no point getting worried about it.

The comments about our return are purely factual. Last time we were relegated from the Premier League Id imagine we didn’t think it would be 10 years away. I don’t actually think that’ll be the case but I guess the point was (given this is the Thomas thread), let’s not be overly concerned about if he will or will not become a good Premier League level player until we get there. 

I get the mentality that players we bring in we want to have here and now and the future in mind as we are paying fees out. With a player such as Thomas who is already with us, unless we can get a decent fee, why not just give him a chance in the here and now and if he’s not good enough in the future, let him go.

Probably a really wordy explanation there from me lol

I imagine the players themselves are fine, I’m probably getting pissed off on their behalf when they don’t give a shit :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thegaffa said:

I think Luke Thomas is underrated and harshly judged by some of our fans.

If you can compare Chilwell and Thomas, at the age Thomas is now, Chilwell had played 36 premier league games (Luke has played 56).

Chilwell was fortunate to work with Fuchs, who was a class act on the pitch and a model professional, Luke has not really had that opportunity.

Chilwell had very similar weaknesses defensively to Luke in his game but was allowed to attack, we did see from earlier appearances from Luke that he was good going forward also.

he has had poor games and that hasn’t helped by being picked, dropped and rotated and also playing in a side devoid of confidence, additionally we know Barnes is poor at supporting his full back defensively.

we have seen Luke play very well against Salah which is no easy task.

I think he has a lot of room for growth in his development.

It's hard to judge any player from last season as Rodgers was out to get sacked.

Thomas will be good under the new manager, as other's have said he is still young and has the potential to be a good player.. I think at times he was played way to much under Rodgers and wasn't match fit which didn't do him any favours.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ed 1 said:

Congrats to Luke too.

No doubt he’s a “genuine Leicester player” as he’s paid (handsomely) to do so.

We want to be back in the premier league. Is he good enough to play at that level. I think the last THREE SEASONS have proved sadly not.  

Why are you acting like we signed a ready made first choice left back for £30mill? He was only brought in and continued to play due to the chronic injury crisis we had at full back.

He also gets serious mitigation given the shitshow of a football club he was supposed to be learning his trade at. Remember, the wheels were already falling off the back end of 19/20. I imagine the plan would have been to rotate between Chilwell, Castagne, Ricardo for a couple of years, as opposed to being literally the only option in his position at times.   

• Like 2

As much as I like Thomas, he needs to get a bit stronger - he was pretty lightweight at times last season. Actually think a season in the Championship is probably the best thing for him. He'll be on the bench tonight but hope he gets a runout at some point. 

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

3 years is long enough to form an opinion about a 21 year old with 50 odd games under his belt? 
Our 3rd choice left back was not the reason we got relegated last season - did he even play 10 full games for the season?

The reason we have the players who split opinions thread is for the people who cannot or refuse to see players grow and develop over time.

We all cry out for youngsters to come through, but then don’t want to accept that means they will be inconsistent whilst they develop. 
The fact that some are willing to right off a player completely after such a short period of time is beyond ridiculous.

Why didn’t he play more than 10 games mate? I’ll tell you why - he was out of his depth. Most people could see that.

We all as lcfc fans want our academy players to flourish and grow into a first team players but when they’re blatantly not good enough we have to acknowledge that. 

3 years is not a short period of time. I have seen very little from him to believe that he is anything above an average championship player. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

3 years is long enough to form an opinion about a 21 year old with 50 odd games under his belt? 
Our 3rd choice left back was not the reason we got relegated last season - did he even play 10 full games for the season?

The reason we have the players who split opinions thread is for the people who cannot or refuse to see players grow and develop over time.

We all cry out for youngsters to come through, but then don’t want to accept that means they will be inconsistent whilst they develop. 
The fact that some are willing to right off a player completely after such a short period of time is beyond ridiculous.

I’ll try and reply to this succinctly as I’ve written a few essays today 😂

There’s a reason he’s 3rd choice left back. He is simply not good enough for where we wish to be, has had long enough to prove this and is part of the reason we were relegated. You mention how players “grow and develop over time” - he’s had 3 YEARS and is worse than when he first came into the team. Answer me this: what are his strengths? 

Hypothetically if his name were Lukas Tomazski and he were Eastern European we would have binned him off ages ago. The reason so many give him a wide berth is (at least in part) because he’s from Syston! 

I disagree that he’s been inconsistent. I think he has been consistent. Consistently poor. Along with Ward and Amartey it was embarrassing watching him try to cope at PL level on a regular basis. 

Wake up people; we cannot be afforded the luxury of dilly dallying when it’s clear to see Luke’s not good enough. 

3 years is not a short period of time, keep playing Luke for another 3 years and let’s see where we are…. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1