Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

Fact of the matter is if he wasn’t homegrown he would’ve been shipped out already. Has barely developed since his first appearance well over 3 years ago. 

Should’ve had a 6month-1 year loan spell in the championship at some point between 2020-2022. 

I still think he could have a future here though but the next 12 months are critical. 

• Like 2

Actually think he could be good in this system, was much better attacking force when he broke in compared to the last 12 months. Playing confident football he is one that I feel would thrive. 

I reckon he gets close to 10 assists this season if plays regularly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Fact of the matter is if he wasn’t homegrown he would’ve been shipped out already. Has barely developed since his first appearance well over 3 years ago. 

Should’ve had a 6month-1 year loan spell in the championship at some point between 2020-2022. 

I still think he could have a future here though but the next 12 months are critical. 

When could we have facilitated this loan spell, though? We’ve been lucky if half our full backs have been fit at any one time over the past few seasons. All well and good saying we should’ve shipped him out but ultimately it would have left us far too thin at full back. Castagne was appearing twice on team sheets at one stage.

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

He and his dad asked for 1 last summer but Breadan denied him the chance and then despite us losing jj and Ricky for large parts still hardly used him. 

That's been to the detriment of us and his career 

• Like 1

he could end up playing as a winger for us given our complete lack of them, Castagne has already been playing on the wing in pre season, with 2 attacking 8s in the middle him staying wide on the left could be a benefit

16 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Opinion  of the matter...,

I could really see Thomas being the full back who tucks into midfield when Ricardo isn't fit, always thought he copes with the ball in tight spaces really well.

With Ricardo:

Ricardo Faes Coady Doyle

Without Ricardo:

Justin Coady Doyle Thomas

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 17/04/2022 at 22:12, StanSP said:

So that's all it takes? That many games and he's totally written off? 

And some of those where he was thrown in due to lack of other options? 

You're utterly deluded to write him off so quickly. Pathetic. 

I was far from deluded. I just saw it much earlier than others 

Good luck to Luke wherever he may reside in the future 

6 minutes ago, happy85 said:

I was far from deluded. I just saw it much earlier than others 

Good luck to Luke wherever he may reside in the future 

This is such a funny thread bump haha. Have you been waiting to post that?

• Haha 3

The curious case of Luke Thomas.

I'm trying to just focus on his highlights and there has been with us under rogers where came alive in games. There were a few great assists and even a nice goal or two. If we can just isolate those and figure out how and why he played so well on those days. I do remember he was attacking and positive going forwards liking up with Barnes.

the reason I say all this is I’m hoping Enzo and his coaching staff will have one last look at him and see if he’s still got the potential to grow in this style.

Having witnessed the Vestergaard miracle means it's a clean slate for me. That said, the way we've been setting up means his chances as a classic full-back are going to be limited.

Could work in his favour - Ricardo has really grown into his more advanced role for example. But from everything I've seen it's pretty obvious Ricky's ceiling is far higher.

He was one of the main offenders in a poor squad with zero backbone and a clanger in the script each game, and I'm not sure being in a Sheffield United squad currently giving that legendary Derby points total a run for its money will have helped that. But there's been clear progress on the mentality front this season that I hope we carry forwards and hopefully impart on Luke while we're at it.

I trust Enzo's judgement. Let's see what happens.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

He never really got a chance to progress as footballer like many other youth players do. He was in line to go out on loan to the lower leagues and gain first team experience, but we were crocked with injury's and he got thrown in at the deep end playing prem football, lining up against the likes of Salah, which is a great credit to him. He isn't the finished article and deserves a chance to develop as footballer with us and fight for a spot in the 1st team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

He never really got a chance to progress as footballer like many other youth players do. He was in line to go out on loan to the lower leagues and gain first team experience, but we were crocked with injury's and he got thrown in at the deep end playing prem football, lining up against the likes of Salah, which is a great credit to him. He isn't the finished article and deserves a chance to develop as footballer with us and fight for a spot in the 1st team.

you watched him play for sheff utd? and the majority of games he played for us ... absolutely no thanks. we need to be looking for far better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1