Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Poor tonight, but the lack of support Barnes gives doesn't help at all. Even when he does track back he just seems to get in the way and isn't sure what he's actually meant to do

Same could be said for Barnes at either end of the pitch tbf. Honking performance by both him and Thomas.

• Like 3

Obviously a Leicester lad through and through, but not premier league standard. Can’t defend, positionally poor and can’t kick a ball down the line to save his life. 

Every time Everton came down his side they cut through us. Not just his fault I agree, but when the team was announced you knew we were in for a torrid time defensively. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

First half he was really good. He made about 5 tackles and put in two good balls for Vardy.

Second half he was back to looking like a little boy, he has to do a lot more for their second goal.

He got ripped apart in the first half. They targeted him from the 1st minute. 

His performance last night was in line with what we've seen defensively all season. I'd hardly say he was particuarly worse than the dross we've seen all season. Our left hand side is our weakest area. It can't be no coinsidence that VK has struggled too, recently. Ultimately he's a young lad who receives very little defensive cover. Whether that's all on Barnes or our midfield, I am not too sure.

Personally I'd have VK in over him. I am not a massive fan of Thomas because I feel he's too weak, phycially and mentally. I do however think the criticism of him last night is a little harsh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Honestly thought he was fine. Led the team in tackles (5). Didn't give away a dumb penalty like our other fullback. Could probably have done better with Iwobi's goal, but then so could Faes and Soyuncu, who didn't deal with the cross into DCL well enough.

He was absolutely pathetic with Iwobi's goal. 

I like Luke and really want him to do well, and I could even see why he was picked ahead of Victor, but he's just so timid at times (the Iwobi goal a prime example - he looked petrified) and that's not good enough unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Permafrost said:

I like Luke and really want him to do well, and I could even see why he was picked ahead of Victor, but he's just so timid at times (the Iwobi goal a prime example - he looked petrified) and that's not good enough unfortunately.

Echo this.

His biggest problem is that he’s thick. Naturally and technically very gifted but his awareness is poor and common sense is very much in need of improvement. 

He really needs to hit the gym hard during the off season and build some muscle, half of his issues are him having to compensate for his lack of physicality. Looks like a 14 year old kid.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Permafrost said:

Watching that goal back - it simply isn't what you want from a player in this situation. Timid as anything. 

thought he had a decent game, not sure how much he could have done for the second goal, the way Faes' header looped up took him from a decent position to no mans land, maybe he could have got out to Iwobi a step quicker

4 hours ago, Will1981 said:

Played better than Castagne.

No way! Not in a million years - Thomas is just too lightweight (not in body mass and in terms of footballing intelligence) - he get's beaten way too easily and struggles when he has the ball at his feet. I am afraid he is not Premier League standard. 

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

thought he had a decent game, not sure how much he could have done for the second goal, the way Faes' header looped up took him from a decent position to no mans land, maybe he could have got out to Iwobi a step quicker

Once that ball looped over he had to turn and try and block and then that movement span him round and made it look like he turned his back. Not very graceful or effective and probably a more aggressive natural defender could have done better. I thought he had a decent game in large pets too. Was brave on the ball, won a fair few tackles and moved the ball effectively most of the time. That side was targeted and we do tend to focus on the negative. I can understand why he started instead of VK who seems to have gone backwards since his first few games. Neither would start if Justin was fit. Even still there would be some on here who would criticise james Justin and state that he is not championship standard. Honestly ..

• Like 1

To be fair the whole defence looks exposed right now. I wouldn't say his performance was any better or worse than most.

But im Struggling to see if the problem lies with the back 4 or if they are just exposed by our midfield right now who look jaded and tired. It's like all the energy has been drained or are we missing the energy of KDH? We just look so fatigued.  

So many unanswered questions for me and things to fix with such little time to sort it.

The management change should have happened long ago to give the new management team time to sort out the problems.

We have good players next to most teams man for man but at times we look so out of shape like nobody knows the plan.

Much of this must be down to confidence I suppose.  

I so like the passion of the new management team though who actually look and sound like the give a shit.

Give them the job whatever happens. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

To be fair the whole defence looks exposed right now. I wouldn't say his performance was any better or worse than most.

But im Struggling to see if the problem lies with the back 4 or if they are just exposed by our midfield right now who look jaded and tired. It's like all the energy has been drained or are we missing the energy of KDH? We just look so fatigued.  

Agreed. He had some fault in the goal but a) why were we not stopping the cross and b) why was Faes' (?) header looping up in the air instead of away from further danger.

Thomas lacks awareness on and off the ball and that's his major downfall. At least 3-4 times a game he loses his marker or doesn't have the pace/strength to hold off the winger/opponent.

And when on the ball, he seems to panic. A couple of times Soyuncu gave him the ball, then got it straight back off Thomas when he could have turned out and played the ball up the field. I think even Soyuncu had a word with him a couple of times questioning the decision.

Thomas (or any LB) isn't helped by Barnes ineffectiveness, even when Barnes has a good game. They're seriously exposed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Will1981 said:

Played better than Castagne.

Certainly wasn't much to choose between the two. Castagne was really poor last night. Gave away a needless penalty, what was he thinking! Also badly misjudged a few headers that let them in on his side of the pitch. 

35 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Agreed. He had some fault in the goal but a) why were we not stopping the cross and b) why was Faes' (?) header looping up in the air instead of away from further danger.

Thomas lacks awareness on and off the ball and that's his major downfall. At least 3-4 times a game he loses his marker or doesn't have the pace/strength to hold off the winger/opponent.

And when on the ball, he seems to panic. A couple of times Soyuncu gave him the ball, then got it straight back off Thomas when he could have turned out and played the ball up the field. I think even Soyuncu had a word with him a couple of times questioning the decision.

Thomas (or any LB) isn't helped by Barnes ineffectiveness, even when Barnes has a good game. They're seriously exposed.

Exactly. The balance isn’t right yet in midfield. I’m not sure we can tune it better at the moment given form and fitness. It would almost certainly look different from our tried and tested. I do think that either Mendy or KDH could be tried alongside soumare as Wilf and / or Tielemans does not give us either enough defensive cover or control in that crucial area at the moment.. I am a big Youri fan but he is not up to speed. You just know he can do something special at any moment though. 

He still knocked two superb balls bent round their defence that Castagne and VK can only dream about, he’s got a nice left foot.The best full backs at the club are currently injured or thanks to Rodgers not squad listed, until they are available the pair last night are the best we’ve got on current form IMO.

6 hours ago, Bert said:

His biggest problem is that he’s thick. Naturally and technically very gifted but his awareness is poor and common sense is very much in need of improvement. 

Heard that he spends too much time in snooker bars, particularly the one in Syston.