Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

2021 Deathlist

10 hours ago, String fellow said:

Leeds United's Peter Lorimer was famous for the power of his long-range shooting, a bit like Alan Hinton was for Derby County. At one time, Lorimer practised his art during the warm-ups to matches. I can't imagine this happening nowadays. 

Truely One of all time legends, Lorimer & Giles, Cooper, the only reasons I had a Soft Spot for Leeds...

Lorimer had One of the best Shots on him I have ever seen in the game....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Truely One of all time legends, Lorimer & Giles, Cooper, the only reasons I had a Soft Spot for Leeds...

Lorimer had One of the best Shots on him I have ever seen in the game....

1.Sprake, 2.Reaney, 3.Cooper, 4.Bremner, 5.Charlton, 6.Hunter, 7.Lorimer, 8.Clarke, 9.Jones, 10.Giles, 11.Gray, Sub.Madeley.

Some famous teams from the past have been etched into my memory! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

1.Sprake, 2.Reaney, 3.Cooper, 4.Bremner, 5.Charlton, 6.Hunter, 7.Lorimer, 8.Clarke, 9.Jones, 10.Giles, 11.Gray, Sub.Madeley.

Some famous teams from the past have been etched into my memory! 

Precisely half of them gone now, isn't it? 

Sprake, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer & Madeley...

22 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Precisely half of them gone now, isn't it? 

Sprake, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer & Madeley...

Tbh, I'm not entirely sure. One thing I do know - shirts numbered 1 to 11 and having only one sub beats what we have nowadays by miles. (None of this current nonsense of bringing on 3 subs with half a minute of injury time to go.) In those days, if the goalkeeper went off injured, an outfield player would go in goal. Great fun! At that time, Graham Cross was City's emergency 'keeper, if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Tbh, I'm not entirely sure. One thing I do know - shirts numbered 1 to 11 and having only one sub beats what we have nowadays by miles. (None of this current nonsense of bringing on 3 subs with half a minute of injury time to go.) In those days, if the goalkeeper went off injured, an outfield player would go in goal. Great fun! At that time, Graham Cross was City's emergency 'keeper, if I remember correctly.

It certainly added some amusing anarchy to proceedings when an outfield player had to go in goal - though that can still happen (though much more rarely) if 2 keepers get injured in a match.

I wouldn't like to return to just 1 sub, though. Allowing 3 subs gives a manager/team more options to change the game by altering team formation/tactics, introducing a player with a different skill set etc. That enriches the game for me.

I do agree about late subs, though. I reckon it would be good to have a rule whereby no subs were permitted after, say, the 80th minute, except if a player was injured.

You could cater for the potential abuse of faked injuries by having a rule that any player substituted after the 80th minute due to an "injury" could not play in the next match. 

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What had he done to get 'cancelled'? 

On one of AFTV's live watchalongs he apparently called Son something that was allegedly racist. I'd never heard the term before but AFTV originally backed him but then turned their backs on him when sponsor piped up. Not excusing any racist behaviour but just seemed all about the money

• Thanks 2

Paul Ritter. Probably best known as Martin Goodman from Friday Night Dinner but also had a major part in Chernobyl and has been in many films and TV shows. Apparently he was quite the stage performer too.

A phenomenal actor and far too young to go at 54.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Paul Ritter. Probably best known as Martin Goodman from Friday Night Dinner but also had a major part in Chernobyl and has been in many films and TV shows. Apparently he was quite the stage performer too.

A phenomenal actor and far too young to go at 54.

Wow that is terribly sad. Didn't know he was ill. As you say a fantastic actor and 54 is no age.

• Like 1