Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

2021 Deathlist

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Was the beer 10/- (10 shillings) or 10d (10 old pence) per pint?

10 shillings (50p) would've been a third of your income, but you could have had a skinful if they were charging 10d (about 4p) per pint. :D

I was only aged 8-9 in 1971, so wasn't buying pints yet. But I do remember being outraged when the sweet shop raised the price of fruit salad chews from 8 for a penny to only 4 for a penny c.1970.

Cheapest I remember paying for a pint was 35p in a student union bar in 1980.

Yeah - missed out the p there. 

When I started drinking in pubs - just pre-decimal - bitter was 1/10d a pint; that's about 9p I guess. Went up (along with everything else) when the 'new' money came in (Feb 71) to 2 bob or 10 a pint.

Cue widespread outrage.

Seems quaint now, but I suppose it's more or less the same in terms of disposable income. Except there were a hell of a lot more pubs, so competition kept the prices low. 

Also booze culture was perhaps more pervasive then. 

• Like 1

Ian St, John R.I.P.

Half of the greatest double act of football punditry in the 1980's.

Due to pre match pub commitments, on Saturday mornings always set me state of the art video cassettte recorder to tape Saint & Greavesie as there was nothing funnier on the box.

Classic Straight man / Daft lad humour but both extremely knowledgeable & informed pundits. Unmissable.

I always thought he would outlive Greavesie but not to be.

Not too bad a player either!

• Like 3

Yeah. Really sad news about Ian St John. 

Without wishing to sound overly dramatic, saint and greavsie was a big part of the weekly routine when i was growing up. The dull 80s. A time when you had to search out football action and chat. (Even the absurdity of twisting the aerial on my house to pick up grainy pictures of Anglia showing highlights of us at Ipswich)

Too young to remember him.as a player but as said above, a great broadcaster, twinkle in his eye, huge sense of fun and as someone else said - a perfect straight man foil to greavsie 

RIP Saint.

• Like 4

Sad news about Ian St John. Very tidy player, and of course part of the fondly remembered Saint and Greavsie, which kind of changed the way football was approached by the media. 

Till them it veered between po-faced or condescending, often both at the same time. Difficult to overstate how much they changed punditry for the better. 

• Like 3

Many will remember Ian St John because of his after playing career ended...teaming up with Jimmy Greaves

to give a more Light-hearted view of early Football punditry

I remember him as a player....Yes he was a Top Play and 60s Football Legend & Not only for L'pool..

A period where L'pool came from nowhere & built up their Now Legendary History....Bit

Football wise, he Left Behind Great memories of the 60s, in England & for Scotland....

He scored Liverpool's first-half goal in City's 2-1 win at Filbert Street in October 1967. Mike Stringfellow (great player!) scored twice in the second-half. The following Saturday, we also won 5-1 at Southampton, which included Peter Shilton's famous goal.

Edited by String fellow

6 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Ian St John, aged 82

His playing days were a bit before my time, but I do remember Saint and Greavsie.

One of those who younger people of my age (30) never really saw on TV as a pundit as well as playing yet instantly recongise.

Sad loss to the game.

4 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Sad news about Ian St John. Very tidy player, and of course part of the fondly remembered Saint and Greavsie, which kind of changed the way football was approached by the media. 

Till them it veered between po-faced or condescending, often both at the same time. Difficult to overstate how much they changed punditry for the better. 

Can't show the whole song as (sadly)  ITV Copyright appear to have got all Spitting Image stuff removed.

But this is a reminder

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Was Jim Trott one of the greatest British sitcom characters of all time? No no no no no YES!

Iconic.

The one where he's trying to sing Abba's "Knowing Me Knowing You" is great timing.

RIP.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Was Jim Trott one of the greatest British sitcom characters of all time? No no no no no YES!

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Iconic.

The one where he's trying to sing Abba's "Knowing Me Knowing You" is great timing.

RIP.

"No no no no no no no no parking is allowed on the upper field"

'Sorry is that parking IS allowed on the upper field or NO parking is allowed on the upper field?'

"No no no no no no no no no parking is allowed on the upper field"

• Haha 3

Former heavyweight boxer Danny McAlinden, 73. He outpointed Ali's brother in New York in 1971 and was British and Commonwealth Champion when he knocked out Jack Bodell in the 'Thriller at Aston Villa' the following year. 

Edited by String fellow