Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

2021 Deathlist

29 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, aged 80.

Thought the lot of them would outlive us all.

Genuinely gutted about this. Love The Stones and with their US tour coming up, I was hoping they'd do some dates over here soon and I'd finally get the chance to go.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Managed to see them at the Cov Ricoh. So glad I went. I did say to my mate we should go as it might be the last time we'll get to see them all together. Brilliant band live, as many here will attest to. True legends of rock. Watts was just as "on it" with his drumming as he ever was. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

The Stones weren't really the Stones without Bill Wyman. Now, not only is their rhythm section gone, this has ripped the heart and soul out of the band. 

Due to his illness - they were preparing to tour without him anyway which is farcical...but not surprising. Out of respect, self-respect and their own dignity they need to call it a day. 

RIP

"Charlie's good tonight in'ee?"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I think that ship sailed at least thirty years ago, no?

Ha! - yeah. Longer if anything. The Stones had become a pantomime parody of themselves and ceased to be artistically relevant by the late 70s. Some Girls was the last great album they made which was '78. Saying that, 81's Tattoo You was decent - largely because it was old material. 

British institution aren't they? Bit like the Royal Family coming out on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to wave at the crowd. Last time I saw them was Hyde Park 2013 and it was just as staid. 

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

How true it is, I don't know, but a great story...

One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Never call me your drummer again."

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Line-X said:

The Stones weren't really the Stones without Bill Wyman. Now, not only is their rhythm section gone, this has ripped the heart and soul out of the band. 

Due to his illness - they were preparing to tour without him anyway which is farcical...but not surprising. Out of respect, self-respect and their own dignity they need to call it a day. 

RIP

"Charlie's good tonight in'ee?"

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Ha! - yeah. Longer if anything. The Stones had become a pantomime parody of themselves and ceased to be artistically relevant by the late 70s. Some Girls was the last great album they made which was '78. Saying that, 81's Tattoo You was decent - largely because it was old material. 

British institution aren't they? Bit like the Royal Family coming out on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to wave at the crowd. Last time I saw them was Hyde Park 2013 and it was just as staid. 

As always, a matter of choice and subjectivity. I suspect you're not much of a fan of them anyway. That's fine. Artistic relevancy is time limited. In music as in other forms of art, things move on. However artistically and musically, they also leave their mark in history. The Beatles IMO are a good example of this. Not current now but they have certainly influenced the history and direction of popular music as have The Stones, among others.

I'm not a huge fan of any particular "iconic" band but it's always a thrill for me to see high profile, legendary bands perform live. Having seen the Stones live, I wouldn't describe their show as "staid".

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

As always, a matter of choice and subjectivity. I suspect you're not much of a fan of them anyway. T

Wrong - I regard Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street as being the best rock n' roll albums ever made. 

However artistically and musically, they also leave their mark in history.

Disagree. Their peak legacy and influence endures, but as contemporary artists, they are little more than one of the world's most lucrative nostalgia trips.

The Beatles IMO are a good example of this. Not current now but they have certainly influenced the history and direction of popular music as have The Stones, among others.

Absolutely agree - but that wasn't my point.

I'm not a huge fan of any particular "iconic" band but it's always a thrill for me to see high profile, legendary bands perform live. Having seen the Stones live, I wouldn't describe their show as "staid".

I have to disagree there I'm afraid. I've seen the Rolling Stones on seven different occasions, six tours and in four different countries - the first time was in 1982. The Hyde Park performance that I'm referring to was precisely that - staid. Through no fault of their own, the sound level was very low, you could comfortably converse with the person next to you. The atmosphere was flat and the crowd almost nonplussed. The best thing about it was the appearance of Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler or Keef's rendition of You Got the Silver. Ronnie Wood was dreadful as ever. 

They have evolved into something little more than a pub tribute band, (but then I don't like those either) - the tours becoming increasingly farcical. 

I loved the economic modest style of Charlie's playing, but his distinctly idiosyncratic rhythmic approach - his inimitable use of the hi-hat, pulling his right hand away on the upbeat, giving his left better access to the snare to obtain a stronger backbeat. And the fact that he played off Keith meant that no one could imitate their sound. Unfortunately, increasingly, neither could they and some of the later tours massacre the back catalogue largely due to Keef and Ronnie's shoddy playing. 

In his 2010 memoire, Life, which is a great read. Keef said the following - “To me, Charlie Watts was the secret essence of the whole thing,” The fact then that they were prepared to go out on the road without him tells you all you need to know. I was equally sceptical about Led Zeppelin touring without Bonham despite Jason taking his place. 

You will never see Rush perform again as a band, far less tour - because we lost Neil Peart and the music is impossible to reproduce without him. 

Preserving the legacy is more important than flogging it. 

RIP Charlie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

You will never see Rush perform again as a band, far less tour - because we lost Neil Peart and the music is impossible to reproduce without him. 

Peart was and still is a massive loss. In my view the best drummer of all time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Costello said:

Peart was and still is a massive loss. In my view the best drummer of all time. 

As a compositional rock drummer - very possibly. Technically though Neil was well aware of his limitations, was dedicated to continual and ongoing improvement and broadening his style which is why he studied jazz under Freddie Gruber and always referred to himself as a student - you really could see and hear the difference in those later tours, although the pain from chronic arthritis became increasingly evident. 

Best drummer of all time? - Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich would get my vote, but in rock, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell or Stewart Copeland - all of whom were inspirational to and greatly admired by Peart. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

How true it is, I don't know, but a great story...

One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Never call me your drummer again."

lol

That was in Richards' book. Something about the only time they saw him lose his temper.

7 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

image.jpeg.933135e6cfa568109762308fb5257023.jpeg

Ted Dexter, England batsman averaging just under 48 in 62 Test matches, captain for seven series and later Chairman of Selectors.

I don't remember him as a player (he was clearly a very good one) but remember him as a frightfully posh pundit on BBC Test Match coverage (late 70s?).

Some amusing items in his Wikipedia entry....

"Dexter declared himself unavailable for the 1964-65 South Africa tour as he contested Jim Callaghan's seat for the Conservatives in the 1964 General Election. Finding himself free to tour after his defeat he was made vice-captain".

"He carried a then rare portable television to watch horse races in cricket dressing rooms and once declared a Sussex innings from Brighton Racecourse".

"His cricket career was virtually ended by an accident in 1965. His Jaguar car ran out of petrol in west London, and he was pushing it to safety when it pinned him to a warehouse door, breaking his leg".

"In the late 1980s he joined Bob Willis to find new fast bowlers for English cricket. Sponsored by a brewery, application forms were sent to pubs to encourage young men, but most were filled in by jokers and drunks and only a few potential candidates were discovered. These were trained with javelin throwing and other exercises to strengthen their back and arm muscles, but the only bowler in the scheme who played first-class cricket had been signed up by Warwickshire before its inception".

"For the Second Ashes Test of 1989 he wrote an inspirational hymn for the England cricketers to sing called "Onward Gower's Soldiers" and appointed a team chaplain. At the end of the summer he told the press that he couldn't think of any mistakes he had made and joked that the "lines of Venus were in the wrong juxtaposition", which was incorrectly interpreted by the press as a genuine belief in New Age mysticism.".

"In 1970 he piloted his Aztec BPA-23 Pommies Progress to Australia with his family to cover the Ashes as a journalist, covering 12,000 miles and making 24 stops".

"He co-wrote with Clifford Makins the crime novel Testkill (1976) where an Australian bowler is murdered during play at a Test match against England at Lord's".

• Haha 1

On 22/08/2021 at 22:42, fuchsntf said:

Lucille,   cathy's clown, All you have to do is dream, Ebony eyes...

Their music ,Was the joy of my young & older childhood...I suppose then it was a  natural step, to then take on Simon & Garfunkel...I

Late nights, I still Enjoy meloncholy  moments, listening to these 2 seperate duo acts...

All you have to do is dream, i mean does it get any better than that?  Is like musical magic.

On 25/08/2021 at 09:45, Line-X said:

As a compositional rock drummer - very possibly. Technically though Neil was well aware of his limitations, was dedicated to continual and ongoing improvement and broadening his style which is why he studied jazz under Freddie Gruber and always referred to himself as a student - you really could see and hear the difference in those later tours, although the pain from chronic arthritis became increasingly evident. 

Best drummer of all time? - Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich would get my vote, but in rock, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell or Stewart Copeland - all of whom were inspirational to and greatly admired by Peart. 

Always amazes me that drummers like Ian Paice and Carmine Appice get overlooked in these lists.... not accusing you of doing this, but it becomes fashionable to fetishise certain drummers from certain bands but not others. I agree, at least, that all the drummers you mention are/were fantastic.

Edited by HighPeakFox

11 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Always amazes me that drummers like Ian Paice and Carmine Appice get overlooked in these lists.... not accusing you of doing this, but it becomes fashionable to fetishise certain drummers from certain bands but not others. I agree, at least, that all the drummers you mention are/were fantastic.

Paice - absolutely, and actually Vinny Appice too. Ian Paice was hugely influential drummer and a left handed set up which is why he sounded so unique. His use of triplets, syncopation, single hand rolls were extremely advanced at the time for a rock drummer and like Watts, very unassuming - preferring his playing to do the talking.  

These lists are meaningless because there are many that defined their genre. Saying that I'd have so many more to add - Hal Blaine, Elvin Jones, Billy Cobham, Topper Headon, Max Roach and Bill Bruford all immediately spring to mind.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Paice - absolutely, and actually Vinny Appice too. Ian Paice was hugely influential drummer and a left handed set up which is why he sounded so unique. His use of triplets, syncopation, single hand rolls were extremely advanced at the time for a rock drummer and like Watts, very unassuming - preferring his playing to do the talking.  

These lists are meaningless because there are many that defined their genre. Saying that I'd have so many more to add - Hal Blaine, Elvin Jones, Billy Cobham, Topper Headon, Max Roach and Bill Bruford all immediately spring to mind.

I love reading your posts; even though I'm too dumb to understand them, I always come away thinking I've learned something.

Have you ever considered selling used cars?

• Like 1