Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ozan Kabak

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9106471/amp/Crystal-Palace-join-Manchester-United-Leicester-tussle-Schalkes-25m-rated-Ozan-Kabak.html

Crystal Palace join Manchester United, Leicester City and RB Leipzig in tussle for Schalke's £25m-rated centre back Ozan Kabak - with Roy Hodgson looking to offload defensive duo James Tomkins and Mamadou Sakho

Both Premier League and European sides have expressed interest in Ozan Kabak 

Liverpool were reportedly interested in signing the Turk as cover at centre back

Crystal Palace have now joined the race, with several defenders also set to leave 

The Eagles have only kept one clean sheet this season, the fewest in the league 

Crystal Palace have joined the clubs to have enquired about Schalke defender Ozan Kabak.

Manchester United, Leicester City and RB Leipzig are all monitoring developments with the Turk, who is available for around £25million.

Palace are looking to offload centre halves James Tomkins and Mamadou Sakho who are coming towards the end of their contracts and are evaluating targets across Europe. 

Palace also have Scott Dann, now 33, and Gary Cahill at 35 and want to reduce the average age of their playing squad.

The Eagles have only kept one clean sheet this season - the fewest in the Premier League - on the opening day against Southampton. 

Kabak, 20, has attracted attention from Liverpool also but they are concentrating on other options.

The seven-cap international has played eight games this season for the Bundesliga's bottom side Schalke.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don't see how our squad has room for another cb at that type of price now our injured players are coming back in. 

Fuchs and Morgan finished at the end of the season.

Just now, Sly said:

Fuchs and Morgan finished at the end of the season.

Precisely. 
We’ll have Fofana Soyuncu Evans Amartey & JJ (who’s also covering the FB positions). We’ll need one more, if as I suspect neither Knight nor Benkovic is seen as PL standard. 
If the timing’s right it could well be Tarkowski, but that’s so unlikely this window given Burnley’s situation.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You can't be expecting a player of Kabak's talent to come in and be 4th choice though, or any of Evans, Soyuncu and Fofana being 4th choice!!

Depends how many Rodgers is thinking of playing. He does like a 3 at the back. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You can't be expecting a player of Kabak's talent to come in and be 4th choice though, or any of Evans, Soyuncu and Fofana being 4th choice!!

He'd get plenty of game time based on this season's injury pile up, the clogged up fixture list, regular formation changes and rotation.

12 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Couldn't agree more, we'll need a cheaper option as back up who won't mind being back up. 

Knight has been doing well out on loan, no idea if he’d be content with that position in the squad

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He does  it as soon as you have 4 CB's of that quality it almost enforces you to play that way as the preferred system and i'm still not sure that's the future for us. Plus, we have deployed this system the best when the outside CB's are good at getting forward like Justin but that's not something Kabak, Soyuncu or Evans are renown for. Fofana and Justin do it well but I'm more comfortable with us having Amartey as 4th choice or picking up a bargain like Tarkowski if he'd be prepared to be a squad player and use the finances elsewhere. We still have weaknesses in attack when you consider the squad. Currently have 3 exceptional full backs and a very promising 4th in Thomas, our 3 centre halves are ridiculous as is our midfield bar maybe one more option instead of Choudhury as a box to box player. Out wide and up front we have nowhere near the same amount of quality alternatives to Vardy and Barnes. 

I agree with all of this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

He'd get plenty of game time based on this season's injury pile up, the clogged up fixture list, regular formation changes and rotation.

While that is true, it's not the norm to have so many injuries in one position, or for the fixture list to be quite so congested. With everyone fit, it could to be a struggle to give each defender enough games.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I think it seems like Amartey and Thomas are the guys being phased in to replace Wes and Fuchs.

Maybe there’s room for another centre back, but as @Ric Flairmentioned, no way it will be a player of the quality of Kabak when we can strengthen in other areas with that price tag. 

Our FB option is really strong with the obvious three and Thomas.

We also have three top quality CB's with Amartey and even JJ can play there in a three.

We really don't need a CB or a replacement for Morgan and Fuchs.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Precisely. 
We’ll have Fofana Soyuncu Evans Amartey & JJ (who’s also covering the FB positions). We’ll need one more, if as I suspect neither Knight nor Benkovic is seen as PL standard. 
If the timing’s right it could well be Tarkowski, but that’s so unlikely this window given Burnley’s situation.

But 25m for a cover player? Just can't see it happening, there's other priorities. 

Fofana and Soyuncu are the future centre back pairing in a back 4. Evans has just signed a new 2 year deal so he’s going nowhere and is still gonna play regularly/push Fofana and Soyuncu all the way.
Brendan rates Amartey and he will play enough games to keep him happy and JJ is also a very good option as a wide centre back against teams whose attack is based around pace such as Tottenham and Leeds. Add into the mix Ben Nelson who in 2 years time should hopefully be knocking on the first team door by all the reports I’ve heard on him so far and we are pretty set at centre back for the foreseeable future. 

Fofana

Soyuncu

Evans

Amartey

JJ

Nelson

Can’t see it myself. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm more comfortable with us having Amartey as 4th choice or picking up a bargain like Tarkowski if he'd be prepared to be a squad player and use the finances elsewhere. We still have weaknesses in attack when you consider the squad. Currently have 3 exceptional full backs and a very promising 4th in Thomas, our 3 centre halves are ridiculous as is our midfield bar maybe one more option instead of Choudhury as a box to box player. Out wide and up front we have nowhere near the same amount of quality alternatives to Vardy and Barnes. 

I don't see Burnley selling Tarkowski on the cheap somehow, as they were holding out for 50 mill in the Summer whenWest Ham were interested. I also understand that Tarkowski wants to move to a bigger club where he can force his way back into the England squad. I don't see being a squad player at Leicester will fulfill that dream.

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Evans is 34 next season, he should be expecting to slip down the order. 

8 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I don't see Burnley selling Tarkowski on the cheap somehow, as they were holding out for 50 mill in the Summer whenWest Ham were interested. I also understand that Tarkowski wants to move to a bigger club where he can force his way back into the England squad. I don't see being a squad player at Leicester will fulfill that dream.

He has 18 months left on his contract, will be sold in the summer for less than £20m.