Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackneyfox

Benkovic back and off again?

3 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Reminds me of the Kapustka deal. Bought with promise and turned out to be pretty pointless in the end.

What's bizarre is he was one of Rodgers' best players at Celtic while on loan there and now at Leicester, he doesn't rate him!

Fine lines.

Matty James, Josh knight , DOH are all Rolls Royces at their loan clubs.  The difference between  a prem player is everything and nothing.  

Benkovic and Kaputska are fine players.  So are Thomas, Chilwell, Choudhury,  Kamaric, Ienacho...

4 hours ago, TK95 said:

Reminds me of the Kapustka deal. Bought with promise and turned out to be pretty pointless in the end.

What's bizarre is he was one of Rodgers' best players at Celtic while on loan there and now at Leicester, he doesn't rate him!

Nothing like the Kaputska deal for me. Benkovic had played in the Champions League and Europa League.

Kaputska was at a club which do well to finish top half in the Polish league 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Cut our losses. Sell for £6-7m. 

No chance of that happening. He's young and talented there's no way we'd let him go for such a figure. 6-7 million barely buys you an average championship player these days let alone a prospect who has been hyped up for years. He's had a tough couple of seasons but that's no reason to bin someone off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

No chance of that happening. He's young and talented there's no way we'd let him go for such a figure. 6-7 million barely buys you an average championship player these days let alone a prospect who has been hyped up for years. He's had a tough couple of seasons but that's no reason to bin someone off.

Way to early to think about giving up on the lad ! He looked very good at times for Celtic & you can see the lad can play. Lets hope he can stay injury free thru the balance of the season & show up at training camp fit and confident.

When he first signed, around the same time as Soyuncu, it was 50/50 as to who would have the biggest or at least the first impact at the club of the two. I think most believed Benkovich would get the first shot because of his history with Rodgers. It’s weird, given how much Brendo knew of him that he has failed so spectacularly. 

14 minutes ago, Wizerud said:

When he first signed, around the same time as Soyuncu, it was 50/50 as to who would have the biggest or at least the first impact at the club of the two. I think most believed Benkovich would get the first shot because of his history with Rodgers. It’s weird, given how much Brendo knew of him that he has failed so spectacularly. 

Isn't particularly weird. Rodgers has said numerous times in interviews that Benkovic has been unable to recapture that form he showed during his time at Celtic through injury and lack of fitness. 

17 hours ago, Wizerud said:

...it would have been the injury suffered by Benkovic at Celtic that stalled his progress!!!

Rodgers would have had him at Celtic for a while but he also had Soyuncu in front of him day after day and when Maguire went Soyuncu was given the role. Benkovic would have been recovering and trying to get himself back to fitness at this time. 

Luckily for us Soyuncu took the opportunity and excelled in the role but for me I envisaged having seen both their show reels that Benkovic would have been first choice due to idiosyncrasies with Soyuncu's defending.

At this moment I would not say that he has failed, the injuries he has picked up have been at the wrong time and too frequent and this has, I believe, made him too fixated of the possibility of any further injury recurring, therefore playing within himself.

Until he can complete a good six months without injury he may never get the opportunity to be the player he should and could have been.

18 hours ago, Wizerud said:

Don't think it was ever 50/50 tbh. One had just joined off the back of being in the bundesliga team of the year and arsenal wanted to sign him all summer but were quoted 40m all summer long. The other was signed as a prospect on  a relatively low fee who they knew needed a good loan spell to see whether he'd make it. I don't think anyone at the club saw Benkovic as superior.

• Thanks 1

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1970884/loan-move-for-filip-benkovi-to-oh-leuven 

Good luck to him. Can hopefully stay fit and get some game time. Will either be in a better position to sell him in the summer or he can come back into the fold as our 4th choice CB. Decent size as well if the rumours about BR looking for a taller CB are true, and good with his feet so fits the bill. 

• Like 3