Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Strange dreams you’ve had

I woke up this morning from a weird dream - I was plodding around a fairly waterlogged field bare foot until I came to a mound of grass, started digging with my hands and unearthed a load of dead pink flamingos, about 4 or 5 in total. Most of them fell to mush in my hands but one of them came back to life and started pecking my face and then I woke up.

Isn't the brain such a weird thing when it comes to dreams - how does it make us dream of such things - it had no relevance to anything I'd seen, watched or discussed the days before either was just really odd. 

Edited by lcfc278

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

keep having dreams about getting attacked or murdered, but not actually dying in them or waking up thinking it's a nightmare. Anyone else experienced this? 

My father used to have a recurring dream where he was about to be executed by hanging; he always woke just before the trapdoor opened.

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

It's things that should kill me, like being stabbed multiple times, stuck in fires, getting shot, drowned, but I never get to the bit where I actually die, if that makes sense? It's more dreaming about being in these things as they're happening and the struggle rather than the events afterwards. 

Had a recurring dream/nightmare when I was about 10 - a mysterious hooded figure was stood at the bottom of my bed with a pack of crads, he used to hold the pack up, fan the cards and set them alight and then chuck them over me on the bed, I used to wake up just as I was incinerating. Ended up seeing a shrink to make it end, went on for months and months.

Edited by SecretPro

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yeah quite similar then, I'd be intrigued to know the science behind it and also any supposed meanings of dreams like this or the ones I've been having lately. 

These might be of interest to you:

http://www.mydreamvisions.com/dreamdictionary/analyzer/

http://www.thecuriousdreamer.com/dreamdictionary/analyzer/

https://living.alot.com/home/top-10-dream-interpretation-websites--10593

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Ouch, that must've been shit as a 10 year old seeing that in your dreams regularly. Not your stereotypical scary figure that you're told about as a child either with the cards.

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever get any insight into what might have been causing those dreams?

Nope - absolutely completely random. I hadn't been watching anything that could have triggered it, no childhood trauma relatable to it, just utterly out of the blue. I was basically put through a process of changing my sleeping patterns, being given things to do and think about before bed etc to try and break the cycle because the longer it went on the more I was triggering it myself with anxiety about having to go to bed and fall alseep knowing that I was going to have the dream and wake up screaming again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 14:24, pmcla26 said:

It's things that should kill me, like being stabbed multiple times, stuck in fires, getting shot, drowned, but I never get to the bit where I actually die, if that makes sense? It's more dreaming about being in these things as they're happening and the struggle rather than the events afterwards. 

I suspect it might be a representation of surviving despite your worst fears...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another football one last night. We lost to Kettering in the Cup, but I didn't have time to worry about that because I found myself watching Millwall play Reading all of a sudden. The Millwall fans were irate because their shirt/shorts/socks combination was blue/blue/white and they were all shouting "We look like fackin' Chelsea!"

Apparently I’ve always mumbled in my sleep but never have any recollection of what I was talking about. My partner is used to it and it’s never particularly bothered her but a couple of years ago she woke me up laughing - by all accounts, for the previous 5 minutes I had been softly singing the ‘ooh Bodyform’ advert song, would go silent for a few seconds and then sing it again. God knows what I was dreaming of.

• Haha 1

I have a weird recurring dream situation that I will attempt to describe. Probably quite badly as its really hard to explain.

I'm asleep, but I'm awake, and I'm seeing all kinds of weird shit around me in the room happening. Whilst this is going on, I've been known to speak, sit up, get out of bed, get dressed, reach out for stuff that isn't there and mistake things for other things. It's never the same stuff going on that I can "see". Last two times it happened, firstly I could see a shit load of baby ducks in my bedroom and I was scared that if I fall asleep (I'm already asleep!) they will all die by me rolling on them or something. The last one, a couple of days ago, the missus came into the bedroom and I thought it was police raiding my house (something I have been through) and lots of people in my room moving stuff around. But as I say every time is different, different shit going on  in different looking rooms (i cant always recognise my surroundings, but I'm always physically in my bedroom). Some times it's quite basic and I'm looking around and I don't recognise the room, everything looks different and I have no idea where I am (again, I'm in my own bed), and that's it; this tends to be the times I get up and get dressed. Other times all kind of shit is going on around me. It's weird because I kind of know its going on, eventually, after a little while it either stops on its own or I tell myself it's happening and then it stops and I continue with my sleep. These are pretty much the only "dreams" I have ever been able to remember the next day. 

I'd say I have them maybe once or twice a month. Sometimes they properly shit me up, but they aren't always scary. I haven't been able to correlate anything that triggers them. Booze, stress, day to day life doesn't seem to influence these dreams.

As I say I've probably explained this badly but anyone know what the **** is going on?

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 01:52, Kopic said:

I have a weird recurring dream situation that I will attempt to describe. Probably quite badly as its really hard to explain.

Sounds quite a bit like sleep paralysis, although you have noted being able to move occasionally during these episodes. I imagine there's a decent grey around around the condition and this is probably where you've been operating during those times.

There around around 4 stages of sleep which can occur repeatedly during the night. It is possible to become consciously aware as you move between them whilst your body remains asleep. This is why the hallucinations mostly occur along with a paralysis. 

I'm not too sure on the causes or remedies, but I am aware that it isn't extremely rare and occasionally experience it myself. Some utilise this stage of sleep to practice 'lucid dreaming', which you could possibly use yourself to remain more in control of the situation when it happens. It can be pretty horrific sometimes. I had the classic the other week, where I felt like I was trying to draw breth and just absolutely couldn't. Made for a pretty crappy night.

Edited by samlcfc
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

Sounds quite a bit like sleep paralysis, although you have noted being able to move occasionally during these episodes. I imagine there's a decent grey around around the condition and this is probably where you've been operating during those times.

There around around 4 stages of sleep which can occur repeatedly during the night. It is possible to become consciously aware as you move between them whilst your body remains asleep. This is why the hallucinations mostly occur along with a paralysis. 

I'm not too sure on the causes or remedies, but I am aware that it isn't extremely rare and occasionally experience it myself. Some utilise this stage of sleep to practice 'lucid dreaming', which you could possibly use yourself to remain more in control of the situation when it happens. It can be pretty horrific sometimes. I had the classic the other week, where I felt like I was trying to draw breth and just absolutely couldn't. Made for a pretty crappy night.

I've suffered with sleep paralysis regularly and can't really say there's any fixed solution. 

If you wake up and can't move it's the force of thought that gets me, eventually, to move. Failing that the mrs usually gives me a tap if I start groaning loudly and that wakes me up. 

Horrifying occurrence though.