Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Some players make an impact in January. Realistically he isn’t going to start when Vardy is fit, so it’s a better conversation in the summer, 

....there is half a season to go...there are games to be played and do not expect Vardy to be available for all the games, for the rest of this season!!!

What is the difference in signing him in the summer as opposed to signing him now. If you believe he will be on the bench now then the same has to apply next summer. It will be an incredibly foolish decision to forego bringing him in now, only to make the deal in the summer.

I can see that the other alternative is that we never wanted him in the first place and this was just a red herring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....if we use Edouard as an example, Celtic are out of the running for the league, he will not be at the club next season, why not instigate a loan at this moment for him!!!

There is a great deal of difference in achieving a top four finish (in the Premiership) compared to the fruitless pursuit by Celtic, in their domestic season as I would surmise the supporters and many of their players cannot wait for the season to be over.

We pay his wages for 6 months and we have someone who can help us to get over the line in so many areas. If we really want him, we make it happen, there is no point in bringing him in the summer, it makes no sense.

They might not want to loan him to us. Why is there no point in signing him in the summer?

46 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....there is half a season to go...there are games to be played and do not expect Vardy to be available for all the games, for the rest of this season!!!

What is the difference in signing him in the summer as opposed to signing him now. If you believe he will be on the bench now then the same has to apply next summer. It will be an incredibly foolish decision to forego bringing him in now, only to make the deal in the summer.

I can see that the other alternative is that we never wanted him in the first place and this was just a red herring.

Or maybe Celtic would ask for a high price now but he would be significantly cheaper in the summer.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Guest said:

They might not want to loan him to us. Why is there no point in signing him in the summer?

....if we really wanted him we would bring him in now, to wait until the summer would be madness!!!

He would have a greater influence on our club in the next six months than he would for the whole of next season. There is too much to lose right now through not bringing someone in.

Finishing second would open the avenue to Champions League, even with Edouard still there, it is not a dead cert.

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...£15-20m would be the price, I can't see it being different in the summer!!!

How do you know that's the price? Have Celtic come out and said that? Brendan said there are no strikers available good enough for what we need in this window. So either we dont rate Edouard or Celtic are asking too much for him. 

14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....if we really wanted him we would bring him in now, to wait until the summer would be madness!!!

He would have a greater influence on our club in the next six months than he would for the whole of next season. There is too much to lose right now through not bringing someone in.

Finishing second would open the avenue to Champions League, even with Edouard still there, it is not a dead cert.

What if we wanted him but they weren't willing to let him go midway through the season and/or we weren't happy with the price they quoted us? Teams aren't typically in the business of loaning out their best players in January and I'm not sure why they would decide to make an exception for us.

There is of course the possiblity that Brendan and the gang, having worked with and watched him for years, don't rate him anywhere near as highly as you seem to based on YouTube videos of his highlights. Like I said, I'm sure that if there was a suitable option available for a suitable price (bearing in mind of course that January is a seller's market and we're in the midst of a viral pandemic), we'd pay it and bring him in. We haven't put ourselves in this position by panicking and paying over the odds for players who aren't good enough or don't fit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Maybe next season is the one we're going to really focus on

But if that were the case, you might think that the club would look to adjust that strategy to take advantage of the opportunity presented this season by the way the league has turned out to be much more open than expected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Lad said:

Don’t think we need a centre forward at the moment. We already have 3.

if Tielemans or Maddison get crocked we have a problem 

...I  know Vardy is one and I surmise Nacho is the second...but who is the third!!!

I would think that a striker would be the most relevant as we can readjust to accommodate in the midfield. 

19 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  know Vardy is one and I surmise Nacho is the second...but who is the third!!!

I would think that a striker would be the most relevant as we can readjust to accommodate in the midfield. 

Well as Perez played there last week, I assume that's who is the third striker?

15 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....there was a time the problem was said to be, the way Vardy played made it difficult and forced us to play in a way which catered only to his style of play!!!

The next striker won't be like Vardy, there needs to be a flexibility in the way we spearhead our attack and it will be a player with a diverse skillset who will take up this position. Vardy is the the number #1 player of all time for the club, we should not attempt to replace like for like, Giroud has been suggested as a player who could do this role, we need to start looking in that direction, we hold ourselves back if we try to go like for like to replace Vardy.

Ah, I never saw it like that at all. I do like Giroud as hes a complete all rounder, athletic, quick and good in the air with that extra but of height. That said I'm still not sold on Edouard but if he he comes here then prove me wrong. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

Well as Perez played there last week, I assume that's who is the third striker?

Totally, a false 9 can still be considered a striker, but the term is very outdated in reference to contemporary tactics generally anyway

Agree with above posts, we have got huge cash assets in our squad, the owners have done an incredible job with us, but sometimes you have to speculate to move forward and if we are needing to buy a striker and a midfielder in the summer anyway, get it done now. Worst case gives them time to bed in. Best case we are stronger and so less risk of slipping away. It’s such a crazy season any of the top 10 could end up in europe next season and if we missed out due to these injuries and lack of strength again we would hugely regret it and be worse off next year. 

The annoying thing is, if Vardy was put for just a few weeks more we probably would but as he is back after next week then we will wait until the summer, even though theres no guarantee he remains fit until the end of the season with potentially still 25+ games left if we want to go far in one of the cups.