Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Respecting players through using their preferred names

17 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

lol

I must be more careful with spelling in a post about spelling.

You have to be of a certain age? 😁

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, majaco said:

Evans was an auto correct  thing

Sorry. I should have made it clear that only the first line was aimed at you. The rest was just a response to the forum and beyond in general. I don't think you mentioned any of the other players' names I see misspelt all the time.

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Sorry. I should have made it clear that only the first line was aimed at you. The rest was just a response to the forum and beyond in general. I don't think you mentioned any of the other players' names I see misspelt all the time.

I am right behind players kneeling before mathches.

The fact that I have mis-spelt names in this thread is embarrassing. We should aim, as a forum, to respect names

11 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

You've thrown me there. One is spelt right and one isn't.

Very hard writing that with spell check it wouldn’t let me spell Ricardo with a k. lol Rikardo oh now it does.

• Haha 1

As a broadcaster, I call him Ricardo or Ricardo Pereira but never just Pereira, although some broadcasters do.

I generally use 'Cengiz Under' in full rather than just 'Under' but that's just a personal preference really.

It's all a grey area as many people in football have varying views on this and foreign pronunciations etc.

22 minutes ago, Guest said:

What's the problem? Someone admitting ignorance and trying to learn something is pretty out there for this section of the forum I suppose

Indeed. It's knot like we have too players with such similar names that a minor mispelling makes any difference to whether a post us understood.

57 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As a broadcaster, I call him Ricardo or Ricardo Pereira but never just Pereira, although some broadcasters do.

I generally use 'Cengiz Under' in full rather than just 'Under' but that's just a personal preference really.

It's all a grey area as many people in football have varying views on this and foreign pronunciations etc.

I'd noticed every commentator seems to do this for Ünder, they don't for Soyuncu though. Or any of our other players. 

I'd always use whatever is on the shirt, apart from Kevin.

An obvious thing to do is to refer to a player based on what he uses on the back of his shirt. And most clubs respect how their players prefer to be called, so club social media and press releases are two other guides. We can also add that pretty much every club does an intro video with any new foreign player so supporters can here how he prefers to be called. 

After we clear this up can we start pronouncing names the way the players themselves prefer? There are still Leicester fans who still insist N’Golo Kanté pronounces his own surname incorrectly. 

Edited by The_77

I’m sure I saw a thread title deliberately calling our manager Brendan   B r e n d a  not so long ago. 

Up there with chris woods

edit: why does the forum keep correcting b r e n d a   To Brendan  When I spell it normally with no spaces inbetween? 

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Haha 1