Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Slavia Prague (H) - 8pm - Thursday 25th Feb - BT Sport / ESPN - Pre Match Thread

2 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

We need to start getting over our lacking Jamie phobia...his goal previous to the Liverpool tap in was a penalty against Spurs December 20th....in that time we have lost one match, playing Man U, Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool....Barnes and Maddison main suppliers of goals if needed then Kelechi and Perez......

Perez has scored 1 meaningful goal for us in 1.5 seasons. I'd rather a 14 year old budgie up front than Ayoze.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Iheanacho

Albrighton             Under

Hamza  Tielemans Mendy

Thomas Amartey Soyuncu Timmy

Schmeichel

Should focus on top 4 imo. Europa league is going to hurt us later on. If we do win this game fair enough but I really don't care to much.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sheffield Utd away this season, every other goal he's scored for us you could argue had no effect on the final result. Well on his way to proving to be a worse £30m signing than Islam Slimani.

This. He’s very flat-track bully like.
Look at the breakdown of his 8 goals in 19/20

Three at Southampton (0-9)

One at Brighton (0-2)

One at Newcastle (0-3) 

Two against West Ham (4-1)

One against Sheffield United (2-0)

I really want him to do well, but players should be judged on goals that they score in key games, not in those where the outcome is already sealed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

This. He’s very flat-track bully like.
Look at the breakdown of his 8 goals in 19/20

Three at Southampton (0-9)

One at Brighton (0-2)

One at Newcastle (0-3) 

Two against West Ham (4-1)

One against Sheffield United (2-0)

I really want him to do well, but players should be judged on goals that they score in key games, not in those where the outcome is already sealed.

He hasn’t played in many key games.....has he?
my original point was we have one of the very best strikers in our history, but he hasn’t scored any in the last 9 weeks...yet we are still winning and scoring.....the reliance on Jamie isn’t as great as it was a year ago, as Maddison and Barnes mature, their goal scoring has gone up with it.......JV one goal since December 21st....team one defeat.....fairly logical to me....

Perez’ flexibility doesn’t help him in some ways. He’s an incredibly average winger and centre forward but that’s mainly where’s he’s been used during his time here (obviously mainly right wing) 

Compare him to big Dan, he was being used as a right back, centre mid and I think right midfield a few times. That was stunting his performance. Soon as he found his best position as a centre half and now he’s a really useful member of the squad. 

I really wish Brendan would just keep him as a central attacking midfielder and let him + Maddison compete for that position. Perez is a really good attacking midfielder, that’s where he’s performed best for us (barring Soton game) and that’s where he needs to be kept. Maybe our lack of depth/quality on the right wing is why he’s played there so often, and maybe also his price tag.

Edited by TJB-fox

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Perez’ flexibility doesn’t help him in some ways. He’s an incredibly average winger and centre forward but that’s mainly where’s he’s been used during his time here (obviously mainly right wing) 

Compare him to big Dan, he was being used as a right back, centre mid and I think right midfield a few times. That was stunting his performance. Soon as he found his best position as a centre half and now he’s a really useful member of the squad. 

I really wish Brendan would just keep him as a central attacking midfielder and let him + Maddison compete for that position. Perez is a really good attacking midfielder, that’s where he’s performed best for us (barring Soton game) and that’s where he needs to be kept. Maybe our lack of depth/quality on the right wing is why he’s played there so often, and maybe also his price tag.

Valid point.....so just what is Perez position? Brendan will know he rarely plays him in the same position twice.....and as a consequence that needs factoring in to any critique of the player....took a good while for Barnes to really shine....Amartey is an international footballer....and gets similar flak for the reasons you highlight....he is no Jonny Evans.....but he is a different type of player to every other centre back in the club....interestingly....who did Rogers turn to when he was looking to shut up shop?

Just now, Reg Vardy said:

Valid point.....so just what is Perez position? Brendan will know he rarely plays him in the same position twice.....and as a consequence that needs factoring in to any critique of the player....took a good while for Barnes to really shine....Amartey is an international footballer....and gets similar flak for the reasons you highlight....he is no Jonny Evans.....but he is a different type of player to every other centre back in the club....interestingly....who did Rogers turn to when he was looking to shut up shop?

His best performances have come just behind the striker. He hasn’t got the pace to be a truly effective right winger in the prem. His ability to receive the ball well in tight areas make him perfect for that position. Decent on the half turn and a half decent goal threat. 

Re Amartey the fact he slots in nicely as the right sided centre half In a 5 means he’s valuable. Rodgers loves switching to a 5 to see games out so Amartey is a great option to have. Good in the air too for the inevitable aerial bombardment that normally comes when defending a lead.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

We need to start getting over our lacking Jamie phobia...his goal previous to the Liverpool tap in was a penalty against Spurs December 20th....in that time we have lost one match, playing Man U, Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool....Barnes and Maddison main suppliers of goals if needed then Kelechi and Perez......

I actually agree. We are far less reliant on Vardy thanks to Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans.

Problem is Ayoze Perez is a mid table player. He doesn't cut it starting for a top 4 chasing team. Iheanacho has his qualities but not up to the level required. 

I'm not as worried about moving on from Vardy as many pundits/journalists seemingly are on our behalf. There are many good strikers out there in the world. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

Hopefully we win comfortably, Sima looked dangerous for them.

Decent line up to get the job done in my view.

Possibly the most comprehensive and tidy pre match thread title ever.

Full date (including week day)

Location (in brackets)

Kick off time

Broadcaster

4 x little (-) to separate information

Marvelous stuff Nalis :thumbup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fightforever said:

Iheanacho

Albrighton             Under

Hamza  Tielemans Mendy

Thomas Amartey Soyuncu Timmy

Schmeichel

Should focus on top 4 imo. Europa league is going to hurt us later on. If we do win this game fair enough but I really don't care to much.

Look ,Nacho is suspended. I don't usually comment on these guess teams but imo we should throw nothing . It sounds sensible but life does n't work that way. Even thinking of partially conceding can generate wrong thoughts.You should know that with a moniker like Fightforever.  Ndidi is needed for his defensive heading skills, in addition to Amartey and Cags, and the front line has to include Barnes. He'll be disappointed to miss it and probably think "i can rest if and when I get injured. Why do i need to be given rest."

We have to find a way of utilising Ünder. He's chunky and compact and should n't be easily injured. He also looks easily the best footballer of our attacking options,on the bench.. I don't see why if given effective support on the right, something he's never had yet , and playing him as a reflection of H. Barnes would n't work but I must admit  I have a hunch it might not. But we still have to use him somehow, preferably in a way that rests Maddison. A real puzzler for BR. There's no need to use Hamza first half. They will remember the hair and If he just sits on the bench making a pencil note every time there is a bad tackle from them, he'll have had a most useful 45 minutes and could come on fresh at HT.

Edited by Alan Frost

30 minutes ago, Nick said:

So, we’ve got this on Thursday followed by games on Sunday, Weds & Saturday. That’s a right mare.

Thomas, Hamza, Mendy, Albrighton, Cengis and Amartey should all get good game time to ease the burden. I really want to beat Slavia but I'm worried about fatigue, fitness and injuries when we compete in three competitions. We're lucky that Cags, Timmy and Ricardo should be fairly fresh.

What’s best here ?

glorious failure in two cup semis and fading to 7th in the league or hanging onto a CL place ??  Of course isn’t that binary but it could turn out like that ! 

that’s sort of what the manager has to think about?  He surely can’t just take it one game at a time and hope it all works out with the crazy workload on a stretched squad ...

Please kill this off by half time and give some players a rest ... Tielmanns looks battered, Even Barnes was smashed by 70mins... that being said, I think we'll have to go with something along these lines

Schmeichel

Amartey  Soyuncu Evans Thomas

Wilf Tielmanns

Albrighton  Ayoze   Barnes

Vardy

Kelechi sitting in the naughty corner.... no extra suspensions for the next round..... looking at the teams in the Europa, some huge names, not an easy tie to be had

Get through to half time 2 or 3 up and haul off Youri and Vardy at Half time, then take off Wilf, Harvey and Evans on about 60 - I'm right in thinking the Europa you get 5 subs don't you?