Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

Surely Fuchs has to start for this. Possibly Mendy as well. We look absolutely wrecked right now. Vardy clearly not fit. Ricardo and Castagne unlikely to be able to cope with 90 minutes so soon. Albrighton has to start too I would have thought and Kelechi. Not sure how many of the U23s are anywhere near ready to step up.

I think we just have to close our eyes and swallow the medicine.  Vardy Ndidi Tielemans Evans all need rested.  Leaves us with very little options

Kasper

Ricardo Amartey Soyuncu Castagne

Mendy  Hamza

Under       Tavares      Albrighton

Nacho

Yes you could put Thomas in and move Ric back to RW but I'm not really seeing that work very well - I just think from a team perspective we'd be better off with them playing their natural positions.  I also think that this as good a game for Under as any.  We need some kind of attacking intent - and whatever his faults he at least has that.  

If you do 3 at back

Amartey Soyuncu Fuchs

Ricardo Mendy  Hamza  Castagne

Under  Nacho   Albrighton

It really is predictably ironic how much we could use Slim & Gray right now.  Any insight as to way Ricardo is playing on left even when he's in a back 4?  I don't think it's working.  Looking at both of these I think I'd prefer the 4231 over 3 atb

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Kasper

Castagne - Amartey - Soyuncu - Thomas

Ricardo - Ndidi - Tielemans - Albrighton

Iheanacho - Vardy

Iheanacho to stub his toe and will miss the rest of the season. 

The reality would be Iheanacho missing his toe and accidentally clearing up Vardy, taking him out for the rest of the season!

Apart from the obvious absentees through injury I would go as far as taking some others out of the limelight for this. Thought Matt Piper made some good points on Radio Leicester post match that there just isn't the energy levels left needed to play how the manager wants. 

We will need to be up for a scrap. I would try and be nice and solid and look to come away without defeat and stop the rot. 

Kasper

Castagne Amartey Cags Fuchs                      

Under Mendy Hamza Albrighton 

Tavares

Iheanacho 

3 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Apart from the obvious absentees through injury I would go as far as taking some others out of the limelight for this. Thought Matt Piper made some good points on Radio Leicester post match that there just isn't the energy levels left needed to play how the manager wants. 

We will need to be up for a scrap. I would try and be nice and solid and look to come away without defeat and stop the rot. 

Kasper

Castagne Amartey Cags Fuchs                      

Under Mendy Hamza Albrighton 

Tavares

Iheanacho 

I think we could replace Under with a traffic cone in all honesty. Not the sort of player who will be "up for it" on a cold night in Burnley.

Edited by reynard

2 hours ago, nnfox said:

Burnley game was always more important than the Arsenal game.

Our players are running on empty but we need a big pysh from them against Burnley and the Brighton next weekend.  After those two games we only have 1 Premier League fixture in the rest of March.  So, massive effort, then rest up and be as fresh as possible for the business end of the season starting in April.

Why’s that exactly? Lose to Arsenal. Get 0 points. Lose to Burnley. Get 0 points. Beat Arsenal. Get 3 points. Beat Burnley get 3 points. 

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Kasper 

Ricardo

Amartey

Soyuncu

Castagne

Tielemans

N’Didi

Under

Iheanacho

Albrighton

Vardy

People saying rest so and so. We don’t have the depth to rest players at the minute. 

We have 3 winnable games coming up. Time to turn the doom and gloom round. 

This but with Tavares or Mendy instead of Vardy and Iheanacho moving forwards.

Think we need fresh legs and impetus as much as anything else. But more than anything we need no new injuries!

Personally would rest Vardy, and Evans even if they are fit as we can’t risk losing them. Also think Ndidi could use a rest as well and went for Hamza over Mendy as he has a bit more physicality and height to counter the Burnley set pieces. Just need to scrap our way through the next few matches through to the international break and then reset once we get a few of the injured players back for what’s sure to be a tense final run in.

Schmeichel  

Amartey - Söyüncü - Fuchs 

Castagne - Choudhury - Tielemans - Thomas 

Tavares 

Ünder - Iheanacho 

2 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

As others have said, here & on Twitter, we need to rest the few fit players we have. Big picture, it doesn’t really matter what happens at Burnley as long as we don’t lose another key player to injury. Give ourselves the best chance of fielding a fresh & winning team at the weekend.

Something like:

Ward

Castagne

Daley-Campbell

Amartey

Fuchs

Thomas

Mendy
Choudhury

Albrighton

Tavares

Iheanacho

IMO we simply can’t risk Soyuncu, Tielemans or Vardy for this one. 

I know why you’ve picked that team but 100% we lose with that

33 minutes ago, Bert said:

Why’s that exactly? Lose to Arsenal. Get 0 points. Lose to Burnley. Get 0 points. Beat Arsenal. Get 3 points. Beat Burnley get 3 points. 

I've said for a while that 73 points should the target for us and should be good enough for top 4.  We needed 8 wins from 13 games, meaning we can lose 5.

In that run of fixtures we had games against Arsenal, West Ham, Man City, Spurs, Utd and Chelsea.  All of them are big clubs, Spurs and West Ham are also very capable of turning in a very good performance.

On paper the rest should be winnable games.  Concentrate on those, win them and that would be 7 of the 8 wins, meaning we would need 3 points from those 'big club' games.

I always viewed the Arsenal game as a bit of a free hit, but those free hits are only free hits if we win against the lower teams.  Starting with Burnley.  We now need 8 wins from 12.

Kasper  

Amartey        Evans.        Cags 

Ndidi 

Ricardo.                                        Castagne 

Youri 

Kelch.                        Vardy 

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Kasper  

Amartey        Evans.        Cags 

Ndidi 

Ricardo.                                        Castagne 

Youri 

Kelch.                        Vardy 

You've done what I do all too regularly - starting with 10 won't help :P

27 minutes ago, FoxOnWheels said:

I know why you’ve picked that team but 100% we lose with that

Aren’t we lucky I don’t pick the actual team?!

I’m struggling, it seems, to express myself clearly enough, but what I’m advocating is looking at the big picture. This very well might be our last midweek game of the season. In other words, after this, managing players’ workloads becomes easier. If we avoid risking injury to Cags, Youri, Wilf & Vards on Wednesday, and they’re fit, fresh & available for the weekend, and hopefully the rest of the season, I’d take a loss to Burnley as the price, any time.

For me it’s about managing the squad the best we can to give us the best chance of a top 4/top 6 finish. 

Edited by Steve Earle
  • Like 1