Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

19 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

Every one says there was no one worthwhile to bring in , but how did west ham get Jesse lingdard , arsenal got oddagard , I just think we were not serious about bringing anyone in . And now it will bit us on the arse , think we will miss the top four again

There is no way in a million years Manchester United would have loaned us any player in January. 
Oddagard with everyone fit as they were in January, wouldn’t be in our starting XI why would he leave Real Madrid’s bench to sit on ours?

Other than Willock going Newcastle and King to Everton - there was no other serious business in the league.

• Like 2

It's fine to say we need to bounce back and strengthen our mentality, but the injury list and lethargy currently dictates everything.

Win, lose or draw, I find it really hard to be in the position of claiming we have to win this.

Under normal circumstances, of course we could demand that, but with the team in its current position, I think we have to be realistic.

At least we may get to see if Under can deliver some potential within a run games. 

For me it's the Vardy conundrum again, does he play or doesn't he? 

He's clearly not full bar, so let's help him, give him some recoup and have him firing for the seasons showdown. 

If he does play, him and Nacho have to sit down and work out their space and roles better. 

I'm all for seeing an overhaul in this game to reset for the Brighton and Sheffield games. 

Edited by Danny Clender

5 hours ago, onekeithweller said:

We put 4 past these in September but unfortunately of the scorers that day, Justin, Maddison and Barnes are all definitely out and as if our luck wasn't bad enough Erik Pieters is only rated 50/50 to be fit.

They had about half of their starters missing that day as well

given that we failed to stop arsenal scoring from a set play, I’m not hopeful that we manage to keep them down to better than two. 

can you see us scoring three ?

their tactics won’t be complicated- get it out wide and cross it in. consequential corners are are positive. Any free kicks within 60 yards of our goal are a positive for them. 

watching this will be like my childhood, watching a seventies episode of dr who from behind the sofa ......

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Maybe we couldn't afford new players or there weren't any available that would be worth signing? It might not have been as easy as you think.

Ahhhh behave with that nonsense ffs.

We have money to spend we was just being over cautious. Look at Lingard for 1, yes not a signing that every one would of wanted but would of helped us.

Plenty of deals could of been done but we gambled on the fact we would be in a better position at the end of season not taking all the potential injuries into account.

• Like 1

Have to make wholesale changes for this one, if we persist with picking players who are knackered both physically and mentally then we run the risk of picking up more serious injuries and fatigue. Rest the players who need it, bring in players who can provide energy and aggression and hopefully we can grind out a couple of results and give the players a much needed rest in advance of the run in, I would go with and hope we can nick a point or even a win - 

Schmichael

Amartey

Soyuncu

Fuchs

Daley-Campbell

Mendy

Choudhury

Tavares

Albrighton

Under

Kelechi 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

We have money to spend we was just being over cautious. Look at Lingard for 1, yes not a signing that every one would of wanted but would of helped us.

Plenty of deals could of been done but we gambled on the fact we would be in a better position at the end of season not taking all the potential injuries into account.

Do you honestly believe Manchester United would loan a player to a direct rival for a Champions League place?

37 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Do you work for the recruitment team or the clubs financial team? If not how could you possibly comment on whether we has the funds in place or not? 

• Like 1

Cant believe the amount of people wanting to drop/rest Ndidi. Of all our remaining best players he has had the most off time this season and even more than that he, assuming Evan's doesnt play, is the only guy alongside amartey who will be able to deal with Burnley at corners. They are gonna score at least one as it stands anyway as we are genuinely so so poor at defending them but without him they could quite easily take the game beyond us with corners alone.

1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

Does vardy really need a rest when he hasn't broken a sweat for over a month?

There is clearly a reason he is playing within himself he is clearly not fit, so rather than risk him suffering a reoccurance let’s rest him get him fit and then hopefully he comes back firing on all cylinders ....a half fit Vardy does not offer enough to justify taking the risk 

• Like 1

I think the luxury is Burnley are absolute dog shit. So we can afford to tinker with the side I think. I think we have to focus our attack to the flanks. Ideally I would suggest a back 3 with Timmy and Riccy as wing backs, the only conundrum with this is if we don't have Madder or Perez available, who plays in midfield in an advanced central role? Or we could try this. 

Kasper 

Amartey      Evans       Cags

Ricardo                                                       Castagne 

Youri                    Ndidi      

Under                                                        Albrighton

Vardy 

I am thinking with Ricardo as a wing back, it would take the pressure off Under a little, so he won't have to focus so much on his defending, plus the added protection from the back three. Burnley will just look to lob balls into Chris Wood so keeping Under pushed higher up may help us. Sometimes a wounded animal are the worst teams to play, I think we're exactly that at the moment so I am thinking go strong to start with, try and get a few goals and then potentially change Youri for Mendy and Vardy for Kelch at half time. 

• Like 1

We should be able to field a fairly strong defensive team.  Cags, Amartey, Castagne, Thomas, Ricardo, Ndidi, Hamza, Mendy, Fuchs all fit and a question mark over Evans. 

Attack wise, it's a different story.  Nacho and Under are where the goals will come from unless Vardy can find some form, but he hasn't looked right for a while.  Big responsibility and huge opportunity for both.  I hope they deliver.

1 minute ago, OrielCaziado said:

I am feeling a Brendan masterclass coming.  This will be considered his greatest achievement when he manages to totally bore Burnley for 94min and then nick a late late winner.

With our injuries I'd definitely take that if it also meant no other injuries.

Given the injuries, and the players who are out of form, I would be inclined to go three at the back, despite the fact that I'm not the biggest fan. The only issue however is the Maddison injury leaving a huge creative whole in the middle, but that would be the case in practically any formation at the moment, so it is somewhat reliant on Perez being fit. 

Schmeichel

Amartey

Soyuncu

Fuchs

Ricardo

Ndidi

Tielemans 

Perez 

Castagne

Iheanacho

Vardy

Not particularly a team that I'd like to put out, but needs must. If Evans is out then I wouldn't trust a back two of Amartey and Soyuncu, and it negates the need to play the out of form Under and or Albrighton. Those two, plus the injured Barnes, somewhat limits the wide options. I also don't get the impression that Perez is fit, so it's perhaps immaterial in any event.  

I think we are effectively looking at what are two line ups will be v Burnley and v Brighton together  I'd go for the below v Burnley:

Kasper

Thomas

Soyuncu 

Amartey

Castagne 

Youri

Mendy

Under

Taveres

Ricardo Pereira

Iheanacho

Vs Brighton

Kasper

Ricardo Pereira

Soyuncu 

Evans (if fit)

Castagne 

Ndidi

Choudhury

Under

Iheanacho 

Albrighton

Vardy

Being realistic, 4pts from the 6 would be a good return with our injuries and form.

7 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Given the injuries, and the players who are out of form, I would be inclined to go three at the back, despite the fact that I'm not the biggest fan. The only issue however is the Maddison injury leaving a huge creative whole in the middle, but that would be the case in practically any formation at the moment, so it is somewhat reliant on Perez being fit. 

Schmeichel

Amartey

Soyuncu

Fuchs

Ricardo

Ndidi

Tielemans 

Perez 

Castagne

Iheanacho

Vardy

Not particularly a team that I'd like to put out, but needs must. If Evans is out then I wouldn't trust a back two of Amartey and Soyuncu, and it negates the need to play the out of form Under and or Albrighton. Those two, plus the injured Barnes, somewhat limits the wide options. I also don't get the impression that Perez is fit, so it's perhaps immaterial in any event.  

Will Perez be back? I'm not his biggest fan but he contributes more than Under so it would be good if he was an option.

Edit - realised you addressed my point already. Guess we'll have to find out by Wednesday.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

Had a deep delve on FM21 for this one lol my brother in law raised a good point yesterday about how we’ve only really rotated due to injuries - not to manage legs as much, thus players like Wilf, Youri and Vardy are starting to look pretty wreaked after always being called upon game after game and this probably hasn’t helped at all. These lads need to sit a game out, I can understand Brendan wanting to play the best team possible all the time where he can, but for example we could have rested Youri once or twice more recently for Mendy or Hamza. Hands are tied now or else it’s looking like we will lose yet more players to injury. Is Big Wes actually out injured? Seems to be listed as that but if he’s available he’d be in today for me.

(5-3-2)

Schmeichel

Albrighton - Amartey - Söyüncü - Fuchs - Thomas

Mendy - Choudhury

Hulme 

Under - Iheanacho 

Bench: Ward / DVC / Taveres / Leshabala / Ricardo / Castagne / Wilf / Pennant

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Will Perez be back? I'm not his biggest fan but he contributes more than Under so it would be good if he was an option.

Not heard any indication he is likely to be fit for this match. He has one of our "two week injuries" which could mean that or could mean two months. Anyone thinking he will be the saviour is likely to be disappointed but yes probably more effective than Under.

11 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

No, I don't think you can afford to keep two players who offered very little for us for ~£130k (?) a week when you likely won't need them anyway. Let's not forget how ineffective they looked the last time they played for us. For all we know, they may have been unhappy here, anyway. I'd say it's likely, considering how little they played.

2x strikers, 2x ACMs and 4x wingers is two players for each position. I do agree that that is bare minimum, but then Ricardo can also play on the wing. I'd certainly rather him play there than Gray.

I don't really know exactly how much our injuries are down to luck, but I wouldn't have predicted a crisis anything like this bad. I don't really see how injuries earlier in the season have any bearing on how bad they are now. I wouldn't have predicted it would be as bad as earlier in the season, just because it's not normal for it to be like that. I'd have thought the chances were that things would improve.

Ideally, we'd have signed one or two attacking players in January, but I think it's clear that we did try. I'm guessing it was just too difficult. I guess the players we wanted were unavailable, or we'd have had to pay way over the odds for players who either wouldn't make much difference or who we could get on the cheap in the summer.

Not aimed at you at all, but it just annoys me when people imply the club were sitting on their hands through January instead of making signings. Maybe they were, but we don't know that and it seems very unlikely to me.

" wouldn't have predicted a crisis as bad " but we'd already paid the price of not freshening things up in Jan 2020 and we juggled the entire 1st half of this season with injuries and there was enough evidence there that it was more likely our players would buckle than it were they'd all get fit and stay fit. We've not had a fully fit squad for the best part of 14-15 months. 

I know it's hindsight but we never take the January transfer market seriously enough, it's a rough window to recruit but needs must when you put yourself in the position we have 2 seasons on the spin with a squad that doesn't have the luxury of much depth of quality. Whats the point of waiting until the summer each season to recruit to improve and progress over 38 games and then get to half way in a great position only to be blighted by injuries and and fall short. Repeat repeat.

• Like 1

Really weird feeling around this match, we have so many injuries, and it appears confidence and fitness is low around the entire squad. 

However Burnley looked awful yesterday, and if we are going to finish top 4 we have to have the mentality to dust ourselves off and grind out a result.

Kasper

Amartey Soyuncu Fuchs

Ricardo Choudhury Tielemans Ndidi Castagne

Iheanacho Vardy

Under to come off the bench if we are needing a goal, these next few games are his chance to show if he's ever going to be here long term.

If Evans is fit, I'd go 4-4-2 and bring Under, Evans & Albrighton in for Amartey, Fuchs and Choudhury.