Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

As others have said, here & on Twitter, we need to rest the few fit players we have. Big picture, it doesn’t really matter what happens at Burnley as long as we don’t lose another key player to injury. Give ourselves the best chance of fielding a fresh & winning team at the weekend.

Something like:

Ward

Castagne

Daley-Campbell

Amartey

Fuchs

Thomas

Mendy
Choudhury

Albrighton

Tavares

Iheanacho

IMO we simply can’t risk Soyuncu, Tielemans or Vardy for this one. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

As others have said, here & on Twitter, we need to rest the few fit players we have. Big picture, it doesn’t really matter what happens at Burnley as long as we don’t lose another key player to injury. Give ourselves the best chance of fielding a fresh & winning team at the weekend.

Something like:

Ward

Castagne

Daley-Campbell

Amartey

Fuchs

Thomas

Mendy
Choudhury

Albrighton

Tavares

Iheanacho

Chuck big Wes in there so he can bag a winner at turf moor again 😉

• Haha 2

I might give this one a miss.

Nothing against the lads who have done brilliantly to be in the top 4 but to suffer the same drop off as last season could be unbearable.

Beaten fair and square today but what miserable rotten luck we've had with injuries. 

Serious question, now we are out of the EL, can we ask for this to be rescheduled? There are loads of free midweek dates that could be used later in the season. And Burnley are also unhappy about the scheduling.

If not, perhaps we can do a Man City and claim we have a Covid outbreak to buy us some time?:brendan:

Edited by Sunbury Fox

10 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Something like:

Ward

Castagne

Daley-Campbell

Amartey

Fuchs

Thomas

Mendy
Choudhury

Albrighton

Tavares

Iheanacho

If we field that team, I genuinely don't think I could watch the game. It will be the most excruciating games in PL history, which we'll no doubt lose 1-0 to an 88th minute header off a corner. This is definitely a winnable game so we have to try to play some attacking players.

7 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Serious question, now we are out of the EL, can we ask for this to be rescheduled? There are loads of free midweek dates that could be used later in the season. And Burnley are also unhappy about the scheduling.

If not, perhaps we can do a Man City and claim we have a Covid outbreak to buy us some time?:brendan:

Nope.

Burnley said, before our EL game on Thursday, that they didn't want the game this week because even his players were feeling the effect of such a hectic period, and asked why it couldn't be played next week instead.

It still got moved to this week so I very much doubt they would move it again.

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

If we field that team, I genuinely don't think I could watch the game. It will be the most excruciating games in PL history, which we'll no doubt lose 1-0 to an 88th minute header off a corner. This is definitely a winnable game so we have to try to play some attacking players.

You’re kind of missing my point? Of course that team would lose, or at least very likely so. We need to recharge some important batteries for an important run in. IMO a rest for some key players is more important than the result of one game.

Just my opinion though.

I think we need to revert back to the 3 at the back and wing backs to try and just grind out some results. It’s not going to be pretty but needs must. Rely on Castagne & Ricardo to provide the width and just pack the midfield and have Iheanacho up front with Vardy to give him support. Something like :

Schmeichel

Amartey     Soyuncu   Fuchs 

Ricardo Choudhury Ndidi Tielemans  Castagne

Iheanacho     Vardy

The problem with going 3-5-2 at the moment is the load on the wing backs, and Ricardo + Castagne are only just back from muscle injuries and Thomas has had a lot of football recently.

On the flip side, without Maddison and Perez we haven't got a link between midfield and attack in the 4-2-3-1.

Really tricky to know what to do over the next 3 games. I guess just pick the fittest players and accommodate them into a system.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 3

Pains me to say it but I would rest Vardy all the way through to Sheffield United. The cliche every game in the Premier League is tough for varying reasons but these next three are somewhat winnable, even with a depleted squad.

They'll sit off the so the onus will be on us to create, admittedly I've never really watched Tavares beyond the obligatory highlight reel but if he isn't ready to play against Burnley then he'll never be ready. 

Looking at the fixture list we have got to win these next three games if top 4 is even in the vernacular of our minds come May.