Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

36 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I really think this should be a serious consideration. If we go full strength in this, we'll be just as fatigued as today, but we'll also hurt our chances of a win on Saturday, plus risk even more injuries, which is something we've gone past the point of not being able to afford.

I think it might be best to just give the best players we have left a rest to try to get us going again against Brighton. Besides, the way things are going, some of these players will need to be match fit. You'd expect them to be a bit more energetic than the 1st XI right now, at least.

That's not a great team, to say the least, but It should be enough to get a point or shithouse a 1-0 if we're lucky.

I might even go a bit uglier!

Kasper

Amartey       Soyuncu      Fuchs

Daley-Campbell   Choudhury    Mendy     Thomas

Tavares

Under             Nacho

Subs: Ward, Flynn, Castagne, Ricardo, Ndidi, Tielemans, Leshabela, Albrighton, Vardy

It's pretty hideous, but I think it might be necessary.

Let's get through these next two games, because then it's only one game a week until May, and players should start coming back from injury.

I had the same line up - apart from Albrighton for Thomas. 
It isn’t pretty, but they need to rest a few. We looked battered after 25mins today. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We have stripped the squad down so much and didn't do enough to bring in players in January. Whether we tried or not is still a failure and if it costs us 2 seasons on the spin then it's pretty disgraceful.

Rodgers said we were after an attacking midfielder, I still cant believe that was Chalobah. More likely Maitland-Niles but there had to be someone else we could have called on from somewhere. 

You can't fill out the squad in case of injuries, I get that. If everyone was fit we'd have trouble keeping the players we have happy, let alone new ones but we always knew we were an attacking injury or two away from the bare bones. Especially with Maddison injury record. 

I would have kept Gray on until the summer and take the hit. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Don't let Slimani and Gray go then, could do with them now!

Maybe. Neither seemed much use the last time they played for us. Especially Slimani. Couldn't have foreseen the injury crisis at the time, and maybe we just had to get their wages off the bill.

I was one that wanted us to beat Brighton in the FA cup but we if we lose that, we now have a week off ahead of another game against Brighton. Now it's their luxury.

Only positive is Liverpool and Chelsea playing each other this midweek. The next 3 games will go along way to deciding if we're going to finish top 4. 

26 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Maybe. Neither seemed much use the last time they played for us. Especially Slimani. Couldn't have foreseen the injury crisis at the time, and maybe we just had to get their wages off the bill.

Couldn't have foreseen the injury crisis? It's been pretty bad all season and it was just as likely to get worse than it was get better so if you're going to cut more fringe players then you need to replace them and we haven't. We've 2 strikers, 2 ACM's and 4 wingers. That's bare minimum options, we now have 4 injuries to those and we are on our knees.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Couldn't have foreseen the injury crisis? It's been pretty bad all season and it was just as likely to get worse than it was get better so if you're going to cut more fringe players then you need to replace them and we haven't. We've 2 strikers, 2 ACM's and 4 wingers. That's bare minimum options, we now have 4 injuries to those and we are on our knees.

Can we stay off our knees .........might pick up a ligament strain .......... bit surprised none of our boys has got a hamstring strain in the BLM pre kick off gesture ......

• Haha 1

Kasper.

Castagne  Evans/Amartey  Cags.Fuchs 

.                          NDidi.

.                        Tielamans.

.                         Ricardo.

Sharky.               Vardy.               Under.

Something different and outside of the box thinking and knowing Ricardo's attacking skills and mindset why the bloody not ?

Yes, Under is left footed and can play on the left.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No, I don't think you can afford to keep two players who offered very little for us for ~£130k (?) a week when you likely won't need them anyway. Let's not forget how ineffective they looked the last time they played for us. For all we know, they may have been unhappy here, anyway. I'd say it's likely, considering how little they played.

2x strikers, 2x ACMs and 4x wingers is two players for each position. I do agree that that is bare minimum, but then Ricardo can also play on the wing. I'd certainly rather him play there than Gray.

I don't really know exactly how much our injuries are down to luck, but I wouldn't have predicted a crisis anything like this bad. I don't really see how injuries earlier in the season have any bearing on how bad they are now. I wouldn't have predicted it would be as bad as earlier in the season, just because it's not normal for it to be like that. I'd have thought the chances were that things would improve.

Ideally, we'd have signed one or two attacking players in January, but I think it's clear that we did try. I'm guessing it was just too difficult. I guess the players we wanted were unavailable, or we'd have had to pay way over the odds for players who either wouldn't make much difference or who we could get on the cheap in the summer.

Not aimed at you at all, but it just annoys me when people imply the club were sitting on their hands through January instead of making signings. Maybe they were, but we don't know that and it seems very unlikely to me.

• Like 2

So our squad will be that we know aren’t injured:

kasper

castagne

ricardo 

amartey

soyuncu

thomas (guessing his sub due to yellow card etc not injury)

ndidi

youri

albrighton 

kelechi

mendy 

hamza 

ward 

under

fuchs

then the 2 under 23 lads? Anyone I've obviously missed? 

not included vardy as Rogers said he had an accident first half?? Whatever that means.

based on above what team we going for on weds? 

kasper 

ricardo

amartey

soyuncu

castagne

ndidi

youri

albrighton

under

kechi
Who’s the 11th? Be vardy if he’s fit 

41 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

not included vardy as Rogers said he had an accident first half?? Whatever that means.

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

This is what he has apparently said about Vardy

Feb 28: "I think Jamie Vardy is okay. He felt his calf go making a pass but it was fine for the rest of the game."

--------------------Kasper------------------

Riccardo----Evans---Soy----Castagne

------------Tielemans---N'didi-----------

Under--------------------------Albrighton

------------Iheanacho---------------------

----------------------Vardy-----------------

Probably too attacking, considering our fatigue/injuries but I always think we are best when we play on the front foot. 

Imagine Rodgers will go to a back 3 with Amartey back in, to help deal with Burnley's threat from set pieces 

Barnes is a huge miss, as well as Maddison and might mean we struggle to create much, but hopefully we can get a goal and grind out a win

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

--------------------Kasper------------------

Riccardo----Evans---Soy----Castagne

------------Tielemans---N'didi-----------

Under--------------------------Albrighton

------------Iheanacho---------------------

----------------------Vardy-----------------

Probably too attacking, considering our fatigue/injuries but I always think we are best when we play on the front foot. 

Imagine Rodgers will go to a back 3 with Amartey back in, to help deal with Burnley's threat from set pieces 

Barnes is a huge miss, as well as Maddison and might mean we struggle to create much, but hopefully we can get a goal and grind out a win

I wonder if Rodgers kept Ricardo at LB in the second half (where he was uncomfortable today) to offer balance between each flank’s attacking and defending qualities (Castagne + Barnes/Ünder and Ricky + Albrighton). It never looked right today.

11 hours ago, Bert said:

Kasper 

Ricardo

Amartey

Soyuncu

Castagne

Tielemans

N’Didi

Under

Iheanacho

Albrighton

Vardy

People saying rest so and so. We don’t have the depth to rest players at the minute. 

We have 3 winnable games coming up. Time to turn the doom and gloom round. 

Agree...

No use running Away from maybes, our fears of losing more players...

Just a Duty to themselves as a squad, to Play & give their best...

Only questions...if any game-fitness doubts, like Evans or Vardy, dont play them..!!

If players are fit the best team plays... "Last man standing"....

We cant Chose when we might Pick up points, or poor/positive performances....

Every one says there was no one worthwhile to bring in , but how did west ham get Jesse lingdard , arsenal got oddagard , I just think we were not serious about bringing anyone in . And now it will bit us on the arse , think we will miss the top four again

• Like 1