Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

Kasper

Ndidi Cags Fuchs

Ricardo Mendy Tielemans Castagne

Tavares 

Vardy Iheanacho

**** me we're knackered aren't we. What I would give just to have Praet and Perez fit let alone Maddison, Barnes, Fofana and Justin.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

" wouldn't have predicted a crisis as bad " but we'd already paid the price of not freshening things up in Jan 2020 and we juggled the entire 1st half of this season with injuries and there was enough evidence there that it was more likely our players would buckle than it were they'd all get fit and stay fit. We've not had a fully fit squad for the best part of 14-15 months. 

I know it's hindsight but we never take the January transfer market seriously enough, it's a rough window to recruit but needs must when you put yourself in the position we have 2 seasons on the spin with a squad that doesn't have the luxury of much depth of quality. Whats the point of waiting until the summer each season to recruit to improve and progress over 38 games and then get to half way in a great position only to be blighted by injuries and and fall short. Repeat repeat.

We did pay the price last season, you are right about that, but I don't agree that there was evidence our players would buckle. We may not have had a fully fit squad, but we got bloody close not so long ago. I'm pretty sure there was a point shortly before JJ's injury when Praet was the only absentee. At that point, it looked to me like we'd put the bad luck with injuries behind us. I would have forgiven the club for thinking the same thing. Perhaps there's more to it than luck, though, and there is more that could have been done.

You're saying we don't take the January window seriously enough. I'm just suggesting there may be more to it than that. Without the full facts, how can we really form an opinion? It could be the case that anyone good enough to improve the squad who also was willing to join us was far too expensive. It could be that anyone we could have realistically signed we deemed barely good enough, and it's those sorts of signings that are likely to become expensive deadwood. Maybe the best affordable players didn't fancy coming here. It seems like we tried loans, but understandably, our rivals didn't want to strengthen us while we threaten their place in Europe.

It is frustrating to be in a similar position to last year after doing nothing in the January window. I'm just trying to look at it from the club's position. Maybe long term, they've decided it serves us better to not make signings in Jan, because of how much you have to overpay, even if that means missing out on top 4. I don't know. Perhaps we'll do a bit more in the summer from now on, instead, and go into next season with a slightly bigger squad, even if that means holding back the better academy players like KDH.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

We did pay the price last season, you are right about that, but I don't agree that there was evidence our players would buckle. We may not have had a fully fit squad, but we got bloody close not so long ago. I'm pretty sure there was a point shortly before JJ's injury when Praet was the only absentee. At that point, it looked to me like we'd put the bad luck with injuries behind us. I would have forgiven the club for thinking the same thing. Perhaps there's more to it than luck, though, and there is more that could have been done.

You're saying we don't take the January window seriously enough. I'm just suggesting there may be more to it than that. Without the full facts, how can we really form an opinion? It could be the case that anyone good enough to improve the squad who also was willing to join us was far too expensive. It could be that anyone we could have realistically signed we deemed barely good enough, and it's those sorts of signings that are likely to become expensive deadwood. Maybe the best affordable players didn't fancy coming here. It seems like we tried loans, but understandably, our rivals didn't want to strengthen us while we threaten their place in Europe.

It is frustrating to be in a similar position to last year after doing nothing in the January window. I'm just trying to look at it from the club's position. Maybe long term, they've decided it serves us better to not make signings in Jan, because of how much you have to overpay, even if that means missing out on top 4. I don't know. Perhaps we'll do a bit more in the summer from now on, instead, and go into next season with a slightly bigger squad, even if that means holding back the better academy players like KDH.

I'd just add to this that (especially in the January window) we are trying to not lose all our chips in a very financially rigged game of poker. When you hear comments like 'we don't want too many Leicester Citys', it's an indicator that those with the most clout will do whatever they can to make life as impossible as they can for anyone else to compete - because it is simply not in their best interests to have us do so. Likewise, the long term health of football is not in their best interests either - it's all about power and consolidating a monopoly. So again, I have every sympathy and admiration for our club consistently being a thorn in their collective wannabe-cartel side.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, StanSP said:

I'd genuinely change it up somewhat just to give some players a break. 

Some might be enforced - Evans and Barnes probably be put. 

Amartey and Soyuncu at the back. Castagne and Thomas full backs. 

Might not please some but save Youri and Vardy for Saturday - give them a rest. Not to go all @Ric Flair but stick Tavares in. Nothing to lose including him unless he gets injured. Iheanacho up top.

Ricardo and Under as some width. 

Running out of players though lol

...with our shortage of players !!!

Kasper 

Castagne  Amartey Soy  Ricardo

Wilf  Leshebela 

Ünder  Nacho   Thomas

Reghba 

Got to say this game is not something I a looking forward to. Vardy not fit to play, apart from Thomas the U23s are in their normal places, Reghba plays in the mould of  Vardy and Thomas good going forward. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Kasper 

Wilf  Leshebela 

Ünder  Nacho   Thomas

Reghba 

Got to say this game is not something I a looking forward to. Vardy not fit to play, apart from Thomas the U23s are in their normal places, Reghba plays in the mould of  Vardy and Thomas good going forward. 

There is absolutely no way Reghba is anywhere near starting for the first team!

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Not heard any indication he is likely to be fit for this match. He has one of our "two week injuries" which could mean that or could mean two months. Anyone thinking he will be the saviour is likely to be disappointed but yes probably more effective than Under.

Perez wasn't contributing much when he was match fit, Under is all we have, and hasn't had as much game time to be seen as worse than Perez, but again time will tell if indeed he gets the starts.

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Kasper 

Wilf  Leshebela 

Ünder  Nacho   Thomas

Reghba 

Reghba hasn't even been training with the first team, he is nowhere near even getting on the bench, let alone starting a game for us

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

There is absolutely no way Reghba is anywhere near starting for the first team!

...we could once again revert to Nacho upfront but that does not work!!!

I suspect it will be the go to move but I  can't see why we would keep doing something over and over that does not benefit the team.

47 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Kasper

Ndidi Cags Fuchs

Ricardo Mendy Tielemans Castagne

Tavares 

Vardy Iheanacho

**** me we're knackered aren't we. What I would give just to have Praet and Perez fit let alone Maddison, Barnes, Fofana and Justin.

Really can't afford to play Ndidi in a back three if he is fit. Has to play midfield. Amartey will have to start if Evans isn't fit.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we could once again revert to Nacho upfront but that does not work!!!

I suspect it will be the go to move but I  can't see why we would keep doing something over and over that does not benefit the team.

I see what you are saying, but anyone who not been involved in a match day squad this season, with all of the injuries we have had - hasn’t been involved for a reason.

I think if we are short we are more likely to recall Eppiah from OHL.

Anyway, Vardy will start this one and will score!

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

I see what you are saying, but anyone who not been involved in a match day squad this season, with all of the injuries we have had - hasn’t been involved for a reason.

I think if we are short we are more likely to recall Eppiah from OHL.

Anyway, Vardy will start this one and will score!

...would love to get Vardy back to scoring again!!!

I am sure there is a doubt in his ability to start this game,  apparently he felt something while playing yesterday and continued to play on. I would rather he was not risked and is allowed to recuperate properly than to see another one of our players carried off the pitch.

It was quite noticeably that he was under powered in his movements yesterday. 

We will line up

Kasper 
Castagne

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton

Nacho

Under

Vardy

Bench: Ward, Mendy, Choudhury, Fuchs, Daley-Campbell, Teveres,

Then maybe Ben Nelson, Leshabela and Wakeling 

Unless I have missed anyone that is 12 outfield first team squad members fit plus 2 goalkeepers.

The team picks itself really

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Amazing how many "experts" we have saying what the line-up will be and none agreeing!! Let Brendan decide, after all, he is the manager.

City to win ugly 1-0.

How dare people have differing opinions? For shame.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've now moved on to putting all my eggs in Terell Pennant's basket, get the lad in for Harvey Barnes and let's serve it up to Dyche. See what he's got to say about the many pound notes.

He’ll come on for Albrighton with 10 mins to go and bag the winner

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've now moved on to putting all my eggs in Terell Pennant's basket, get the lad in for Harvey Barnes and let's serve it up to Dyche. See what he's got to say about the many pound notes.

With us likely to have 6 or so U23s in the match day squad for this, who would you say are most likely?

Obviously Thomas, Daley-Campbell and Tavares appear to be in the squad - who else can you see coming in for this one? Both the likely options knowing the club and who you’d have line up

17 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

We will line up

Kasper 
Castagne

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton

Nacho

Under

Vardy

Bench: Ward, Mendy, Choudhury, Fuchs, Daley-Campbell, Teveres,

Then maybe Ben Nelson, Leshabela and Wakeling 

Unless I have missed anyone that is 12 outfield first team squad members fit plus 2 goalkeepers.

The team picks itself really

Ricardo?