Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Sheffield United 5-0 Post Match Thread

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

He's equal to or better than ANY other striker in this league when making assists - 

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Exactly. I recall in the title season he was pipped to the Golden Boot by Kane by one goal (and would have shared it but for his skied penalty on the last day!)

The difference is, across all competitions, Jamie got 12 assists to Harry's 3. It's possibly the difference as to why we succeeded in our title challenge while Spurs faded away - and why we continue to succeed - with him as our talisman. He's unselfish. Worth having in the first XI even during dry spells like this.

This season Kane has 13 assists.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Koke said:

It says that Sheffield United had 1 shot (off target) the whole game. Genuinely can't remember that at all. Does anyone know when that happened? 

Pretty sure the Sky stats at half time said they had one shot off target at half time, but their XG was 0.00 at half time. So who knows. There was a kind of shot from about 30 yards easily blocked.

Think the fact they got 0.07 on XG at full time was due to them getting a corner after Cags made a mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

I wanted four at the back, and after half an hour or so thought I’d be proved right.

And in fairness, I think the week’s rest, in combination with returning players (and Sheff Utd being in disarray) were the main factors in the win. 

But I’ll hold my hands up, I thought we were brilliant today and I’m very happy to be wrong! 

Yeh...even  Apprentice fans have to go through the mangle & understand, fans are usually crap at demanding they See the game better than the manager,

especially when your team is Running in the Top 3, und not yet had all their Top players together & available or fully match-fit..!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Pretty sure the Sky stats at half time said they had one shot off target at half time, but their XG was 0.00 at half time. So who knows. There was a kind of shot from about 30 yards easily blocked.

Think the fact they got 0.07 on XG at full time was due to them getting a corner after Cags made a mistake.

Yeah. Their xG was 0.7. Im trying to think when their one shot happened. Maybe it was a blocked shot that was going wide anyway, not even sure if that's counted as a shot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Iheanacho’s growing profile is starting to be a source of concern for his club boss. And with Manchester City preparing for life after Sergio Aguero, a return for Iheanacho to the Etihad is still feasible.

“I’m not totally sure, but these things usually last the course of the first deal he signs,” Rodgers admitted according to quotes from Leicestermercury.co.uk, via Punch Nigeria. 

“So, Iheanacho joined on a five-year contract in 2017, so leading to 2022.

‘’Even if he negotiates an extended deal in that time, I’d expect the buy-back clause to still be applicable until 2022. “After that, it may be void.

Iheanacho is in his third season at Leicester City and has two years left on his initial five-year contract.

Thanks for that. It’s as I suspected which is something to be mindful of but after thinking about it I would be surprised if Man City genuinely felt he was a 50mill replacement for Aguero. Historically they have spent a lot but never huge amounts on one player which doesn’t bode well. That said I think they’ll go big for Haaland or M’bappe such is the level they operate at and the name they are replacing.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Yeah. Their xG was 0.7. Im trying to think when their one shot happened. Maybe it was a blocked shot that was going wide anyway, not even sure if that's counted as a shot.

Pretty sure it was Burke’s toe poke just after half time. It’s the only thing that could resemble a shot and even then the balls come across, he’s stabbed at it and it just went across the face of goal.

I still hate the back 5. lol

Obviously a superb 2nd half but I don’t think one should ignore the level of competition - they were beaten dogs.  As dominant as we were Ricardo and Timmy were pretty anonymous for the most part - you can see they don’t thrive in the wing back role.  It’s a conundrum admittedly, because the easiest way to get Kelechi on the pitch with Vardy is using that formation.  But against a decent side I don’t think it’s a good option.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reynard said:

Yes. Exactly my thoughts though I think we did used to try more than they did today. Actually nearest Leicester performance might just be the first half when we were 5-0 down to Bolton under Peter Taylor. Hard to think that back then we could ever have imagined where we are now and even more so in the dismal 80s under Pleat.

Remember being 5 down at half time against Arsenal  under Martin   luckily they declared  and only got 6

Rolls Royce performance whilst barely getting out of second gear for most of the match. Iheanacho and Perez finally coming good and a great time to do so. Should give the team plenty of confidence. All the other results went our way though I would have preferred a draw in the Uniteds match. If we want to come second we’ll just need to beat MU at Old Trafford.

SU were awful, but it doesn’t detract from the liquid smooth performance. 5 goals could have easily been 10 and whilst Vardy’s goal drought continues, he still contributed hugely to the win.

That we’re in this position with all the injuries and the fixture pile up is quite astonishing really. If we can get top 4 it will rival the Great Escape and perhaps even the title win as an achievement.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Anyone else think Aaron Ramsdale is worth picking up for squad depth? We’ve been lucky in that position, but an injury to Kasper and we’d be down to Ward and Jakupovic. Ramsdale is still very young but wasn’t really at fault today (and pulled off some saves). He’s had a lot of game time and action in the last two seasons - would obviously not come in as first choice but we should be in Europe again next year so there will be games for any no.2. 

10 hours ago, StanSP said:

No need to add any more to the goals and dominant attacking play but I absolutely loved our desire all over the pitch to win the ball back and not just desire, but effectiveness and success rate in tackling. And more to the point, not even just Ndidi. It's like Ndidi had a few sessions with the team on learning how to tackle and win it back lol

Kelechi was even getting in on the act! Perez did it several times, too. Very good aspect of our game today to watch. 

I know you can't read too much into it against a team that are clearly on a similar decline to the Huddersfields and Hulls of this world, but yes, Perez' desire to get stuck in was great to see, even in a far more evenly-poised first half.

When we signed him, he was billed as being like Okazaki in his willingness to snap at heels and do a little bit of that Ndidi kind of work, while not necessarily being the main man but still chipping in up-front.

Today was him doing exactly that. You love to see it, and I think in a great attacking display he's been a little overlooked. Possibly his best performance of his Leicester career, let alone the season - and yes, I'm counting the 0-9 at St. Mary's in that. More of this Ayoze, please! :scarf:

1 hour ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

Anyone else think Aaron Ramsdale is worth picking up for squad depth? We’ve been lucky in that position, but an injury to Kasper and we’d be down to Ward and Jakupovic. Ramsdale is still very young but wasn’t really at fault today (and pulled off some saves). He’s had a lot of game time and action in the last two seasons - would obviously not come in as first choice but we should be in Europe again next year so there will be games for any no.2. 

I'd sooner give Iverson a look.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I'd sooner give Iverson a look.

Second this - we have a bit of an embarrassment of riches in the GK position. Besides, Kasper has years left in him yet, though there will come a time when we should probably ease Ward in to eventually become #1 when he hangs up the gloves in something stupid like 2027. :P

14 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

I missed it! My son came over with a Mothers Day present, and left at 4:30. I still can't quite believe it.

Does anyone know where I can see extended highlights? There's three minutes on You Tube, but I want more. And I want the PL not to show matches on Mothers Day. Five bastard nil and I missed the lot. Bollogs.

try lcfc tv in a few days, I have seen extended highlights on there in the past.  Is a shame sky no longer do 60 min reruns of games anymore.  No idea why they scrapped that, was the best part of their service imo.

13 hours ago, Tom's Pasta said:

Credit to Rogers for getting it right today, Perez plays SO much better in a central position and with Nacho in such good form we had enough on the pitch to break them down. The hardest goal was always going to be the first, after that we enjoyed ourselves and were very professional.

Huge contrast to Fulham at home where we never looked close to breaking them down. It's all about getting the right balance for me

Yep, I always said we was using him out of position before.

3 hours ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

he is pants; and iversen sounds like he is ripping up trees at preston

16 hours ago, Blueman1967 said:

Don't won't to start a argument, but l would have been happy still to be in Europe, but yes it was noticeably how fresh the players were, but you might have the same problem next season!  

...without the plethora of injuries, we will have a squad to legitimately rotate!!!

The injuries were the problem, not the run of games.

• Like 1