Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Golden Fox

5 defeats attended

Five enjoyable defeats! What a fine idea. 

Here's some candidates from across the decades (can't say I was at all of them...):

1)  Mar 30th 1996  Leicester 0 Sheffield United 2.   Martin O'Neill kept all the hate mail he received from City fans calling for his head after the game and when we won promotion two months later gleefully telephoned those same fans to ask exactly how they felt about him now...

2) May 3rd 1924    Derby v Leicester.   Derby need a 5-0 win to pip Bury to the second promotion place on goal average. Leicester are safely in mid-table with nothing to play for, except maybe a little Ram-baiting. At half time Derby are 3-0 up and must be feeling confident, then in the second half they make it 4-0...but we decide enough is enough and that's how it ends, leaving them a single agonizing goal short of the top flight. The following season Derby again finish just short - in 3rd place behind Man United and Division 2 champions - Leicester City.

3) Feb 14th 2016    Arsenal 2 Leicester 1. Ranieri had promised the squad a week off if they could beat Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal. We managed the first two, then lost at Highbury to an injury time Wellbeck goal after Danny Simpson's red card, but Ranieri was so impressed by our performance that he still gave them the holiday, which they spent sharing messages on Whatsapp, ridiculing the Arsenal players' post-match celebrations and stiffening the sinews for the subsequent run of 1-0 victories that brought us to the verge of the title.

4)  April 21st  1909  Nottingham Forest 12 Leicester Fosse 0 .   Our record defeat -  so bad that the Football League held an inquiry, where City players explained that the result was due to them not having sobered up after getting completely tanked at Leggy Turner's wedding party the day before.

5)  Mar 15th 1997    Leicester 1 Middlesbrough 3.   Just made Boro' even more sure they were going to walk all over us at Wembley in the League Cup Final three weeks later, making it extra satisfying when Emile scored that late equalizer and Claridge got the winner in the replay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

The thread is about memorable games, which may well have included moments of enjoyment (or pride). Nobody mentioned coming away enjoying the loss - that would be weird! 

(although looking back at my 5, 3 were league games where our fate was basically sealed anyway so the result made next to no difference) 

Fair enough. 

Wycombe and the Ceefax striker. Fastest I've ever got out of Filbert Street and felt like never going back (until the next home game, as it turned out). Memorable as it was the start of 10 years decline and I think we all knew it. 

31 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

OP. Lucky bastard. Is that all?

No... I forgot maybe the best of the lot... living in London with Boro housemate, we drove all the way up to The Riverside to see a Frank Sinclair own goal from 30 yards out after 3 mins precede 87 awful minutes. Maybe I blacked a few out! 

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I took slightly perverse pleasure in the 7-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday in 1992...

And the quarter final at Atletico, simply for the occasion, the city, the weather, the friendliness of those I was with in the ground.

You took pleasure from a 7-1 defeat??!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mark_w said:

Leicester 1-4 Brighton is the only one I've actively enjoyed I think.

The only loss where I've been sat in the stands laughing. One of my mates was well pissed off for some reason, saying it was unprofessional and makes him worry for the following season but I think most saw it for what it was, 11 pissed up footballers trying not to throw up. Ulloa murdered us 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

With the other thread going on top 5 games attended, I couldn't figure out whether I should be putting defeats in. Some games are so memorable even if we ended up losing. Lets face it, we have always had our fair share of defeats, so we probably have as many stories!

So my top 5 defeats are:

5-2 Sheffield United - 1990 - Those shirts! - its always a strange feeling to watch another side get promoted & have pitch invasions, but an intense and cracking game

4-3 Swindon (Play-off final) - I couldn't make the Blackburn game, so this was my first time watching us at Wembley & from 3-0 to when that 3rd goal went in still gives me shivers...

2-0 Athletico - 1997 - just watching Leicester in Europe & the performance was there: shame about the refereeing

2-1 Leeds - 2004 - First game I took my wife to, driving up to Leeds for a massive relegation battle under the lights. Izzet cracker, Viduka sending off...

1-0 Man Utd - With relegation virtually confirmed and Filbert St soon to be demolished, how did the fans respond? Standing ovation from the whole ground.

Wasn't the Leeds defeat 3-2? They went 1-0 up and then we equalised and very quickly took the lead 2-1 with an Izzet screamer. They then managed to spawn 2 goals and beat us. I seem to recall Micky Adams played Peter Canero in the hole behind the strikers 😂

27 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Did you travel back on the same night of the game? That's what we did for Atleti and it was ****ing grim.

Yeah, from what I recall the player's walked across a gantry just above the gate where the fans were waiting to board the planes and got absolute pelters from a section of the crowd because of the result. It was quite embarrassing given what had happened the season before, the fact that we had topped the group prior to the game, and that it was a hugely weakened side. Pretty sure it was played out in front of the owners too. I can't imagine what they must have thought of the situation. 

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wasn't the Leeds defeat 3-2? They went 1-0 up and then we equalised and very quickly took the lead 2-1 with an Izzet screamer. They then managed to spawn 2 goals and beat us. I seem to recall Micky Adams played Peter Canero in the hole behind the strikers 😂

Just looked this up... 

Leeds went 2-0 up - we scored 2 in 3 mins and were all over them, which is why it felt like we were winning. They then spawned the winner at the end. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3572359.stm

The atmosphere and losing at the end were memorable... the exact details not so much! 

As above the Chelsea game in the cup was brill for how shit we were at the time, remember the scenes when Carl Cort put us 3-2 up I think. 

Cardiff away in the playoffs purely for Kingy’s goal to put us ahead on aggregate, never known such highs and lows in one game at the time. How far we’ve come...

1-4 v Brighton- the place was rocking for the last 10 minutes. It was actually those leaving early who prompted a backlash and the noise just grew.

0-1 v Man United- Just for the crowd reaction to relegation.

1-6 v Ipswich- Awful day but our fans just kept singing until the end which was great.

2-5 v Arsenal- Our only home defeat of the title winning season and actually a decent performance. Part of Vardy's run, too.

0-5 v Aston Villa- We can look back and laugh now. 20 minutes of utter carnage with goals flying in, fans invading and lads mags chucked onto the pitch.

21 minutes ago, Corky said:

2-5 v Arsenal- Our only home defeat of the title winning season and actually a decent performance. Part of Vardy's run, too.

It felt like whole crowd was buzzing that game, the football was tremendous and even though we conceded 5 the crowd never stopped backing the boys to go for it try and score. No heads dropped despite the fact we had conceded 5! There were 2 outcomes from that game. One was to shore up the defence, Simpson and Fuchs came in for De Laet and Schlupp, the other outcome was the players knew the fans would back them in defeat. If we took risks and played high tempo attacking football.

The rest is history, greatest 5-2 defeat ever.

Notable mentions go to Chelsea 4-3, and both Spurs games in the great escape season. We played so well in both games and came away with nothing points wise but a bit of belief that we could compete.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Portsmouth away 5-1.

Palace away 5-0.

Spurs away 4-3 (great escape year for the gutting feeling that we just weren't good enough).

Bournemouth away 4-2 (purely for the fact we were 4 down at half time and my phone was lighting up like a Christmas tree).

Arsenal 2-1 valentine's Day.

That Bournemouth game was a right laugh considering we were 4 down. Remember us scoring the 2 last goals within a minute or something and we’re gonna win 5-4 was belted out by the whole end lol 

1 hour ago, goody2028 said:

That Bournemouth game was a right laugh considering we were 4 down. Remember us scoring the 2 last goals within a minute or something and we’re gonna win 5-4 was belted out by the whole end lol 

Only just realised he wrote "best 5 defeats" rather than "worst 5 defeats" lol

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

You had to be there. Please note I said 'slightly perverse'. 

I was there but in the Wednesday end. My recollection of it, well what I can remember of it because I was pissed was it so shockingly bad it was kind of funny. I'm sure the beer helped though. 

Can't think of 5 I particularly enjoyed. 

One I can think of was our FA Cup replay away at Craven Cottage against Fulham in 2007.

Was a great away crowd and atmosphere. We were crap in the league but at half time led a Premier League side 3-1 on their own ground.

They brought on Vincenzo Montella at half time and the match swung back towards them and they quickly brought it back to 3-3. We played really well and had chances to win but conceded an injury time winner to Wayne Routledge just as it looked like we'd forced extra time. 

• Like 1

FA Cup 5th round replay v Chelsea in 1997. Lost 1-0 in extra time to a penalty in the 117th minute. We were newly promoted but had had a great season. The first match ended 2-2 after we came back from 2 down with an injury ravaged team. Ruud Gullit, the Chelsea manager, was less than magnanimous in his post match comments, prompting O'Neill to say sarcastically that he would bring the first team for the replay. 

So to that fateful night at Stamford Bridge. The boys put in an epic rearguard action whilst looking dangerous on the break but the ref was so clearly in their favour it was laughable.

Halfway through the second half my mate said to me, I guarantee that this guy will give them a penalty at some point if he can. Sadly that proved to be a very good prediction as in the 117th minute, Erland Johnsen through himself over in our box under no contact. It was the most blatant dive that I've ever seen but the ref pointed to the spot, prompting huge protests from City players and outrage in the away end. Chelsea scored the pen and went through.

When the final whistle blew O'Neill refused to shake hands with Gullit and ran on the pitch to confront the ref, having to be held back by his own players from doing something he'd regret. Afterwards the ref's decision was widely condemned by pundits and there were even questions asked in the House of Commons about it, with calls for video evidence being made.

Although we lost, I was immensely proud of our team who having started the season as relegation favourites went on to have a great season, finishing in the top half and winning the League Cup. That FA Cup defeat still rankles to this day, though, and I've been waiting to get revenge on Chelsea ever since. Maybe my time is about to come.....

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1