Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 0-2 Man City - Post-Match Thread

14 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Woof.

Losing to Man City is not a catastrophe, but you do worry that being reminded how much better someone else is than you can impact the psyche.  That was a thorough pantsing from whistle to whistle.  Abandon the back five, no more Amartey and Perez in the starting 11 please.

...it was necessary, we were limited to personnel!!!

This talk of how brilliant a team is should not be a way of demotivating a team. We keep on saying this team or that team are the best we have ever seen,  it was Liverpool last season ,Manchester City the season before and Man. City again. They are vulnerable to sitting and being countered, United turned them over, they are not that great.

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Playing Man City is a bit like when you were in the playground at school and the kid with the ball picked all the best players for his side and then complained when the shit kids tried to stop them scoring 

The perfect analogy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, don_danbury said:

what was that weird stat about us having 0 percent possession over a 5 min period? pretty sure 4 minutes of that was taken up on that free kick. pointless stat

I think there was far too much made out of that phase of play.

Did Man City even create any chances in that period? 

Did they knock it around and not get through us because of our defensive shape? Admittedly our retention of the ball and inability to complete one pass was quite poor but if Man City are doing fvck all with the ball when they have it, it becomes pretty pointless.

Compare it to the 28-pass move we did a couple of weeks ago against Utd which actually did result in a goal by Youri and I know which one I'd rather have, even if I wasn't a Leicester fan. Possession doesn't win you games, scoring goals does.

Edited by StanSP

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Did Man Utd even create any chances in that period? 

Did they knock it around and not get through us because of our defensive shape? Admittedly our retention of the ball and inability to complete one pass was quite poor but if Man City are doing fvck all with the ball when they have it, it becomes pretty pointless.

Compare it to the 28-pass move we did a couple of weeks ago against Utd which actually did result in a goal by Youri and I know which one I'd rather have, even if I wasn't a Leicester fan. Possession doesn't win you games, scoring goals does.

Spot on Stan 👍

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Did Man Utd even create any chances in that period? 

Lucky for man city, they did both :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

I think we should take it as a massive compliment that they felt they had to literally hack down our players with a range of dangerous tackles throughout the match to get something, they were remarkably heavy handed. Fernandinho could have got done for GBH over the course of the match - how Wilf got a yellow and he didn’t get one for a good 80 mins I’ll never know. 

Glad no one got injured because It’s not how we do football but they obviously view us as a threat to their quadrupole - otherwise why did they literally target Maddison with a range of heavy handed tackles when they were already 0-2 up? 

Will be a spicy match now if we do end up getting this lot in the FA Cup final, the boys will remember this, perhaps it’s time to offer Wasilewski a new deal so we can bring him off the bench to fight fire with fire if they want to go down that route 😂 would love him to get defending with his elbows against some of their lot 😆 

They know we're a bit soft when things get physical so kept battering us. Sound tactical play IMO.

• Like 1

This was arguably the dullest game of the season. It just wasn't a contest - this Man City are not the exciting, attacking team of 2/3 years ago who always gave you half a chance because their defence was iffy. This version just kill you slowly with their stultifying and endless recycling of possession, gradually wearing you down both mentally and physically. It's absolute torture watching it, so imagine continually shuttling sideways and backwards as an opposition player trying to block their passing lanes, etc. And if things aren't going well they just bring on subs from a bench of players worth £500m+. Not sure how you counter all that to be honest.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

This was arguably the dullest game of the season. It just wasn't a contest - this Man City are not the exciting, attacking team of 2/3 years ago who always gave you half a chance because their defence was iffy. This version just kill you slowly with their stultifying and endless recycling of possession, gradually wearing you down both mentally and physically. It's absolute torture watching it, so imagine continually shuttling sideways and backwards as an opposition player trying to block their passing lanes, etc. And if things aren't going well they just bring on subs from a bench of players worth £500m+. Not sure how you counter all that to be honest.

All v true and a big danger that the premier league will simply become who is going to get top 4 as Man City will win the league whilst pep remains there.

i dont think Liverpool are now prepared to invest what it would take to compete with them 

the advent of the new CL set up will just make things worse aswell ...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Until a strict transfer and salary limit is introduced then it will remain this way. The dice are loaded against any team that hasn't got millions of pounds flooding from these immensely wealthy entrepreneurs.

4 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Until a strict transfer and salary limit is introduced then it will remain this way. The dice are loaded against any team that hasn't got millions of pounds flooding from these immensely wealthy entrepreneurs.

...FFP was brought in to protect clubs from themselves!!!

Clubs found a way around it, take a look at Saracens (Rugby Union) they got away with it by not so creative accountancy ie setting up companies and their owners investing regularly in them.

They were demoted to the second tier as they refused to open their books to auditors but are now going to be playing in the Premier League again next season. They should have received a punishment which demoted them to the backwaters of the game but with their pull and marketable presence it was felt that Rugby and other clubs survival, needed them more than the game needed cleaning up.

It is very much a corrupt business which goes all the way up the chain,  where  the people in charge turn a blind eye, it is naive to believe any laws, brought in to limit the spending by the big clubs, would stop them doing what they are doing now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

The gameplan just wasn't executed well enough. For it to work, we'd need to beat Man City's press with slick passing and cut out errors. 

We never got going and I think if we were open, we would've been hammered. I do understand the frustration though.

To beat man City you require two things: to be at your absolute best and for them to be off their game. They were on it and we weren't. The same tactics worked in the reverse so I'm not sure how people can complain about Rodgers being bold enough - we're one of only 3 sides to beat man City this year and they're in my opinion the best side on the world.

• Like 2

After watching the Man City match, can't see Leicester scoring again if they keep playing around their own goal area when the goal they need to score is at the other end of the pitch. It seemed as if Leicester were scared of going forward and all I saw was Leicester playing from side to side and back to goalkeeper - how are they going to score if they don't venture forward?

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, jws0209 said:

After watching the Man City match, can't see Leicester scoring again if they keep playing around their own goal area when the goal they need to score is at the other end of the pitch. It seemed as if Leicester were scared of going forward and all I saw was Leicester playing from side to side and back to goalkeeper - how are they going to score if they don't venture forward?

Welcome to FFS

To save you asking... you can't. You have to click the three dots in the top right corner of your post and hit 'Edit'

On 05/04/2021 at 10:48, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Worth remembering MCFC had won 25 games out of 26 before playing us. That's an insane record.

Regardless of Manchester City's undeniably good record, I think deanolegend1989 and gerblod make some very good and salient points about Rodgers. He has some excellent qualities in his overall role as a manager but also some glaring flaws at times. You take the package for what it is because not everyone can be an elite manager like Pep or Klopp. The odds of winning against Manchester City were absolutely stacked against us from the start but Rodgers flaws did come to the fore again as outlined by these two posters.

Does it mean people want Rodgers out? No, I don't think so for a minute because he's the best we could possibly ask for at this moment in time by far. I think sometimes people just get a little frustrated at times an air their views. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, jws0209 said:

Playing out from the back is a sure way to lose against them , Kasper should have booted it as far as he could and waited for a mistake . Rodgers always wants to win pretty . It never worked against Barca and it doesn't work against Man.City.

• Like 2