Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 0-2 Man City - Post-Match Thread

They’re an incredible team, no doubt. They’re just so crisp and precise with their passing and so aggressive and energetic with their pressing. They denied us any time and space and it led to us resorting to hoof ball, or totally

inaccurate passing. I don’t mind losing to Man City, it’s expected. But we didn’t even lay a glove on them. And we didn’t even try to play. Brendan sent us out there like 2009 Stoke City. We looked to sit deep, deny them space and then counter. Except we didn’t counter with any precision of pace. We gave the ball away nearly every time we had it. In fact, we didn’t even counter attack. I mean not really. Did we ever look like scoring? Maybe once when Maddison should have done better. But that’s it. As I said, I don’t mind losing to the best team in Europe. But there is a way to lose, and that wasn’t it. If we are truly the 3rd best team in the league then my god, the league has a job to catch Man City up. 

Next week was already massive but now it’s gigantic. We can’t afford to lose two in a row. Especially if westham win on Monday night. We need to go to Stratford and get the 3 points and then we have 7 games left to get UCL. Come on you foxes!!

Just now, Col city fan said:

I’m the only person on here who will SAY that. That’s the difference.

And I’ve never blamed Amartey for the goal. You’ve assumed it. Due to your own bias. I asked the question wtf was he doing there? In my opinion, completely out of position.

The de bruyne through ball took Evans and Fofana out of the game mahrez was baring down on goal. (as a city fan I shouldn't have to tell you how deadly he is in those positions on his left foot off the right wing right?) so big Dan rightly shuffled across to stop the run/ block the angle for the shot. Looking back on the footage I actually think it's good defending as he stops mahrezs run and makes the shot harder whilst simultaneously stopping a square ball to jesus. Once he is in that position jesus is now his man he can't swap positions mid Man City attack so if its anybodys fault its one of the other defenders who were took out the game by the through ball but I don't think it's anyones fault just a great through ball and a lucky bounce of Tilemans. 

Throwing the question back to you watch it again. once the through ball is played and Evans and Fofana have been completely taken out the game what should he do? 

https://youtu.be/zHyg1esGMEM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

DeBruyne was incredibly embarrassing there

But fookin Hell, he’s a top player 

Hard to look past Belgium in the Euros with him and Youri in the middle 

Agree with you,DeBruyne really dosen't need to do things like that.Went down alot in my estimation today.....no David Silva(who begrudingly was the best player i have seen in the PL).

Edited by PAULCFC

Pep outdid Rodgers today picking Fernandinho and Rodri with KDB. He knew that’s our strong area in the middle with Youri and Wilf bossing most 2vs2s and nullifying that nullifys us. 2 v 3 in there made us pressed into submission and the sad thing is Wilf and Youri actually both played pretty well but got caught and pressed too much with nowhere to go, Pep bossed it and BR didn’t react.

Rodgers showed today why he’s got huge flaws. Nothing wrong with how he started the game but when it was clear we were being pressed so hard and he as usual doesn’t react until we concede the goal just shows why his bottle has to be questioned.

I had no problem with his starting line up as it’s been working and Soyuncu had to come out, but it was evidently not working and it was a pray to hold on till ht.

This is when he constantly does my head in. I even joked at the time ‘he just hasn’t got the bollocks to change anything, it’s like an auto button 65/70 mins subs come on so rather than reacting before it’s too late, we have to just pray to get through then change and it’ll be ok’.

This happened vs Burnley too, getting over run and I said the above statement again. Kasper makes a worldie from Wood, Lowton hits the post and we ‘get lucky’ when it was clearly a matter of time. So because that time we made it through to his customary 65/70 min slot, we didn’t suffer. He changed and the last 20 we should of beat Burnley.

As usual though no plan no adjusting and being bold, just ‘safe’ sticking to something that isn’t working.

Praet should of come on to help get a lot the middle. Anytime between 45-55 before it’s too late! Perez Vardy and Nacho were all ahead of the ball mainly and out the game - playing right into their hands and KDB had the freedom of the pockets to do what he does best.

Its happened so many times this year and it’s a huge flaw in Brendan.

Man city are the best team in the world, it was a free hit. I didn’t expect to get anything from today but deep down I thought we could and expected to give them a tough game and want to win.

Losing to Man City is nothing to be ashamed about but that game afterwards just felt kinda meh 😕.

What was your plan Brendan?

Might as well of not turned up.

The worst thing is, we didn’t play bad. I think pretty much every player on our team actually didnt really make unforced errors or played poorly.

We just were set up in a way that had been working but today was wrong , being constantly forced into errors and maybe a lack of energy compared to their team.

You have to be bold enough to change it and make a new plan.

I can’t believe anyone(let alone a supposed top manager) who looked at that first half today and thought ‘going along nicely, no need to change’.

Anyone watching that game who wanted Leicester to win would think ‘phew we were lucky to get 0-0 out of that, think we need to adjust something to stop this constant pressure or it’ll be an inevitable outcome’ but nope nothing.

No change, no plan. Just pray. Gutless and frustrating

• Like 2

Woof.

Losing to Man City is not a catastrophe, but you do worry that being reminded how much better someone else is than you can impact the psyche.  That was a thorough pantsing from whistle to whistle.  Abandon the back five, no more Amartey and Perez in the starting 11 please.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Tielemans was completely dominated all game, the sort of tactics managers of some of the top clubs managed last season but this season they've seemingly struggled to do so so easily. Tielemans was unreal vs them at The Etihad earlier in the season but I do wonder if we needed to have had Praet in there too to free Youri up but I'm not sure that would have necessarily worked.

I don't fully understand why Praet wasn't playing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Amartey wasn’t at fault for the first goal. If anyone was it was Albrighton rushing out and committing himself 

...and he (Albrighton) had been sold that very same dummy by Mendy about 5 minutes before. Well and truly beaten.

No shame in losing to these. They are a great side with a ridiculous squad (just look at their bench yesterday) and they played very well.

My only gripe is that I was surprised we didn’t make a change or two at half time. They were so dominant it was clear something needed to change. 

Just need to dust ourselves down and prepare for West Ham 

• Like 1

Sometimes you lose football matches and are forced to play a certain way by the opposition. 

Yesterday was just one of those games. 

I think form largely dictated that we went with the two up top, however hindsight shows that we’d have been better with the additional body in midfield. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Pep outdid Rodgers today picking Fernandinho and Rodri with KDB. He knew that’s our strong area in the middle with Youri and Wilf bossing most 2vs2s and nullifying that nullifys us. 2 v 3 in there made us pressed into submission and the sad thing is Wilf and Youri actually both played pretty well but got caught and pressed too much with nowhere to go, Pep bossed it and BR didn’t react.

Rodgers showed today why he’s got huge flaws. Nothing wrong with how he started the game but when it was clear we were being pressed so hard and he as usual doesn’t react until we concede the goal just shows why his bottle has to be questioned.

I had no problem with his starting line up as it’s been working and Soyuncu had to come out, but it was evidently not working and it was a pray to hold on till ht.

This is when he constantly does my head in. I even joked at the time ‘he just hasn’t got the bollocks to change anything, it’s like an auto button 65/70 mins subs come on so rather than reacting before it’s too late, we have to just pray to get through then change and it’ll be ok’.

This happened vs Burnley too, getting over run and I said the above statement again. Kasper makes a worldie from Wood, Lowton hits the post and we ‘get lucky’ when it was clearly a matter of time. So because that time we made it through to his customary 65/70 min slot, we didn’t suffer. He changed and the last 20 we should of beat Burnley.

As usual though no plan no adjusting and being bold, just ‘safe’ sticking to something that isn’t working.

Praet should of come on to help get a lot the middle. Anytime between 45-55 before it’s too late! Perez Vardy and Nacho were all ahead of the ball mainly and out the game - playing right into their hands and KDB had the freedom of the pockets to do what he does best.

Its happened so many times this year and it’s a huge flaw in Brendan.

Man city are the best team in the world, it was a free hit. I didn’t expect to get anything from today but deep down I thought we could and expected to give them a tough game and want to win.

Losing to Man City is nothing to be ashamed about but that game afterwards just felt kinda meh 😕.

What was your plan Brendan?

Might as well of not turned up.

The worst thing is, we didn’t play bad. I think pretty much every player on our team actually didnt really make unforced errors or played poorly.

We just were set up in a way that had been working but today was wrong , being constantly forced into errors and maybe a lack of energy compared to their team.

You have to be bold enough to change it and make a new plan.

I can’t believe anyone(let alone a supposed top manager) who looked at that first half today and thought ‘going along nicely, no need to change’.

Anyone watching that game who wanted Leicester to win would think ‘phew we were lucky to get 0-0 out of that, think we need to adjust something to stop this constant pressure or it’ll be an inevitable outcome’ but nope nothing.

No change, no plan. Just pray. Gutless and frustrating

One sub at HT would have been useful Nacho for Praet, if Maddison didn't have much in him, we were outclassed but seems a waste having 2 strikers when you have 30% possession an extra midfielder would of helped out. 

• Like 2

The non display yesterday was all down to having a slow flat 4 midfield sat so close to the 18 yard line.

The best policy would have been hoof ball yesterday but Vardy is clearly still feeling his injury so its doubtful that would have worked. Instead we saw a static defensive line looking forward to a static midfield line 12 yards ahead and onto a static front line 10 yards ahead of that. The difference between the teams was that when Citeh got the ball immediately 6 players would all start running forwards. When we got the ball all players were either standing still or walking around. If ever there was a game crying out for pace this was it, we needed a Barnes or maybe three Barnes's yesterday. Anyone who could surge from 25 yards out for 40 yards would have been good or as I suggested, just hoof it over the Citeh back two. Sum up, what a midfield display - Perez slow and falls over easily, Ndidi slow, Tielemans - pretty slow, Albrighton really slow.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Didn’t realise what a dirty, whining, cheating cvnt de Bruyne is. 

He's the kind of player that will look back on it and realise how silly and stupid it looks. In the build up to it, for a couple of minutes he was proper riled up and had a massive rush of blood to the head. Not sure if he was frustrated at his own teammates, the ref, our players or not. No idea but it definitely got to him. And while Amartey did swing his arms about there was nowhere near enough contact to make him react like that under normal circumstances. 

Not to make excuses for him but I don't recall seeing him do it a lot. Even Pep could see de Bruyne's frustration and ended up taking him off. He doesn't strike me as the player to keep on doing it. As frustrating as it was seeing it! 

• Like 1

First ten mins second half it was more of a contest ............ we had a half chance and there were signs that the first half was intentionally 100% containment whereas we planned to be a little more adventurous in the second.   Hence, why change anything at half time ?? If anything, you could argue that we should have played praet from the start and brought kel on at half time if that was the game plan. 

The game was very similar to the first one but they didn’t have the poor defence that played in that fixture ...... and KDB was really on it yesterday.....