Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 0-2 Man City - Post-Match Thread

Better to lose this one than the FA Cup final.

Rodgers was also a little hamstrung here in that he couldn’t exactly drop player of the month Iheanacho to the bench for a midfielder to pack the middle, which I imagine he might have preferred to do.

And that doesn’t even speak of injuries to key pieces in what is our own formidable jigsaw. 

Players will have learnt a lot from that mind... and dare I say it, I don’t think we’re a million miles away from them.

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Perez was good. Not a bad performance just didn’t have enough pace or incision on the counter to hurt them. 

Man City are a great side, you can’t really do much other than work hard and try to contain them when Kevin De Bruyne and co. turn up like today.

Can't do much anyway when they just foul everytime they don't have the ball. 

They are a class above us, and tbf should be considering they spend about £200m every summer, but they are also among the biggest cheats in the division.

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Some of the reactions in the match thread were ridiculous, they're the best team in the world at the minute and are a class team. Losing Cags probably disrupted our plans and we had to use Big Dan instead, plus Ricardo and Maddison were back from injuries, Barnes is missing, Vardy is out of form etc.

We'd have all taken a draw before the game, the main thing is the other teams around us lose. If Liverpool and WHU fail to win, happy days.

PS. I hope they don't win the CL, their antics and diving was pathetic.

It's like both ends of the spectrum, yes, we shouldn't be too down with the defeat and people should be realistic and not too critical. I don't think we should have the mindset that they're the best team in the world and just lap up the defeat up either though.

• Like 3

Lost to the best team on the planet and deservedly so. And we were just not quite ‘on it’ - Tielemans had 2 on him all the time, Ricardo isn’t even a shadow of his former self, Amartey’s not great in possession, Vardy’s not himself, Perez was playing in an unfamiliar role for 65 mins, etc etc.

Hopefully we play West Ham with Madders fit & starting&  Praet fit enough to be in contention.

Last from me - we now know how the club intended to celebrate the late chairman’s birthday 🙄

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Unfortunately, even if we had wanted to play them at their game (tactical fouls to hold up any breaks) it was made very clear, very early on that it would not tolerated as Wilf got a yellow for first offence for very little Not questioning the result it was very one sided, but difficult to feel the the field was level.

Wilf deserved his yellow card, no-one can really have any complaints at that.

Bit annoying that their worst 2 players scored the goals (Jesus always scores against us, and Mendy also turns up for our games and is trash every other week). Oh well, we move on. Really hope that if we do get to the Cup final we don't have to play these. If we do, it's likely that it will be a huge damp squib like today, which will be a shame after waiting all my life to see us in a final. Now they've sorted their defence it is pretty much impossible against them, especially with a patched up team like we had today. What's scary is that they've beaten us at a canter with £500m of talent sitting on the bench.

My main frustration is that when we went 1-0 down, they changed tactics and let us have the ball with the aim of hitting us on the break- unfortunately it worked but there was definitely a period where I thought we'd get back in to it.

Just now, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Wilf deserved his yellow card, no-one can really have any complaints at that.

Perhaps so, but several of their players did earlier, level playing field is all I ask

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

They’ve scored 5 three times this season against Burnley, Southampton and WBA I’d like to think we’d have more of a threat if we had dared, we chose to be negative for the entire 90 minutes today and still lost by two.

A fair view, but I can understand the rational more against your Man City’s if you see where I’m coming from. If we set up to contain the likes of West Ham then, yes, issues. 

Don't mind the defeat, but felt we were tactically as bad in this game as we were good in the 5-2. 

Not sure we came with any sort of plan to win this one.  

As others have said they are by for the best team in the league, so nothing to be embarrassed about loosing, just wished we planned to try and win. 

Sometimes you just accept the opposition is on a different level. If we'd have pressed higher De Bruyne could easily have wreaked even more havoc and they'd have stuck Sterling on earlier for more threat in behind. A truly sharp Vardy and Barnes would have made a difference today in turning their back 4 and stopping them compressing the game so much. Maddison coming on made a difference as we had an extra body when playing it through midfield and the last 20 we troubled them a bit, but the game was done by then.

First goal was the key, and it was avoidable. Schmeichel shouldn't have punched the initial Mahrez shot back out into play. 

Next week is the massive game. 

• Like 1

3 points against Man City is far more than most teams will manage this season.

Would've liked us to perhaps not be overran quite so much, but ultimately this game was always going to be a very difficult test and a loss by a small margin isn't a disaster.

On to the next.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Better to lose this one than the FA Cup final.

Rodgers was also a little hamstrung here in that he couldn’t exactly drop player of the month Iheanacho to the bench for a midfielder to pack the middle, which I imagine he might have preferred to do.

And that doesn’t even speak of injuries to key pieces in what is our own formidable jigsaw. 

Players will have learnt a lot from that mind... and dare I say it, I don’t think we’re a million miles away from them.

Yes if we'd beaten them you'd be worried for the cup final, (assuming we both get there); there's no way we'd have beaten Man. City three times in a row. So...... we're gonna win the cup.....we're gonna........etc.

• Like 2

Beaten by probably the best team in Europe no shame in that and in KDB they have the complete package midfield King,Drama Queen and he can also turn his hand to reffing which is just as well as Taylor had a mare and really needs pulling up for some of his decisions, you really should not be awarding a foul because a player you he has been fouled

1 minute ago, AS78UK said:

Don't mind the defeat, but felt we were tactically as bad in this game as we were good in the 5-2. 

Not sure we came with any sort of plan to win this one.  

As others have said they are by for the best team in the league, so nothing to be embarrassed about loosing, just wished we planned to try and win. 

I'm pretty sure for the first 40 mins or so we were equally as bad at the Etihad. I think Pep learnt a lot that day and was more streetwise today.