Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 0-2 Man City - Post-Match Thread

17 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Rolled over and let them do what they want. Really poor really. 

Worst ref performance I've seen in a long long time. Disgraceful really. 

Losing isn't surprising but the way we didn't really bother is abit shit. 

16 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

A no contest. Man City were good, but thought we would show a little more fight. 

Ah well, on to the next one 

16 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

That was a free hit. The next 2 games are far more important.

Man City are a class above anyone else in this league and there's maybe 1 or 2 in Europe that could go toe to toe.

However, the manner of the defeat gets to me. At least have a bit of ambition.

Disgusted by the referee today. The De Bruyne incident was an utter disgrace.

We move on.

16 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

No shame in losing to them but it's disappointing we didn't impose ourselves on the game more. 

This!

Suspected we would lose this one, and of course they're the better team, but we mostly played like we were just trying to keep the score down. Sam Allardyce would've been proud.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

Hate to see 'Park the bus' tactics especially at home.

Would like to have had a real go in the second half.  We also have some real creative talent in our side and we are not solely a counter attack side as we always seem to be portrayed, we play out from the back, and we do it well.

Too negative today and boring to watch and to cap it off A Taylor was sh#te.

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Nowhere near it, tactically clueless. Seen West Ham and Man Utd give them something to think about in recent weeks and we just roll over and let them tickle our bellies.

We put 5 past them earlier this season. 

Lets not pretend these aren't a brilliant team, they're capable of doing that and worse to anyone.

• Like 2

Can't complain about the gameplan, but we faced a fresh and confident Man City team and they are just a few levels above us when in this form. Take it on the chin and move on.

But Taylor let them get away with all of the dark arts. Really felt like he reffed in 2 standards, one for us and one for them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Perez was good. Not a bad performance just didn’t have enough pace or incision on the counter to hurt them. 

Man City are a great side, you can’t really do much other than work hard and try to contain them when Kevin De Bruyne and co. turn up like today.

Huh?

Not quick, doesn't score, doesn't create, doesn't go past people, doesn't break up play, barely effective...

It was a very Perez performance - has the odd moment in the odd game. but too few and far between.

Nope, he wasn't the worst player out there today, but the bar was set pretty low against a very very good opponent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Tbh that's what i was thinking, fair enough we lost but we looked like we werent even playing the same game as man city, not sure what the point of cl football is when we get outclassed so easily.

$$$

Why would anybody assume they checked Jesus on the first goal? If anything you should assume they didn’t. Certainly close enough to see some lines drawn. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a tweet in an hour showing he was offside.

Anyway - that was disappointing because “free hit” or not, we were poor. What a huge game next week. Is there really a chance Soy will miss it? I would think after that much time a negative test would be sufficient. 

We were beaten by the better side today they were pretty comfortable we didn't give them any serious threat, we have to go away and learn from it. We are still a young side and still plenty of room to improve, so I won't get too disheartened by today's result, Chelsea losing was an unexpected bonus :)

Pretty poor from start to finish. They were a class above. I suppose as poor as we were we had quite a few missing and they had pretty much a fully fit squad to pick from, so it isn't a surprise. They're also a significantly improved side from the one we beat earlier in the season and we very much caught them at the right time then.

With Chelsea's result it makes this weekend not a bad one as we've lost a game we were quite likely to lose whilst Chelsea have lost what you thought would be a banker win.

I'm not worried we'll throw it away but I will be if we lose next week.

We won(on aggregate) :celebrate:

That said they were completely dominant, our period of possession in the first half was basically just passing between the defenders and Kasper. They're just too good at controlling space and without Soyuncu we lacked abit of aggression, Fofana not quite as good on the left side. Castagne was fantastic first half. Ndidi our best player but De Bruyne really did a job on him by selling the ref a yellow for accumulation when two of the fouls were very questionable, their Kevin spent the rest of his time which wasn't tearing us apart shouting at the ref, diving & kicking people; classy.

Thought we'd have been better off without one of the strikers and another midfielder in there, Praet or Mendy. We severely missed Barnes too who was a fantastic outlet against them earlier in this season, ran Walker ragged that day.

If that is to be the dry run for the FA Cup final you can't help worry. But with all our players fit and Vardy firing I'm sure it'd be a better match.

Edited by Jaspa

They are the best team in the league by a mile so absolutley no shame in that. Think we seriously missed Barnes pace today on the wing for the counter attack. Iheanacho and Ndidi clearly blowing from all the International games and the travelling all the way back from Africa so no surprise that they werent anyway near their best today. Expect us to be back to full sharpness for West Ham with the 7 days of rest between games theyre going to have. 

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, martyn said:

Sometimes you just accept the opposition is on a different level. If we'd have pressed higher De Bruyne could easily have wreaked even more havoc and they'd have stuck Sterling on earlier for more threat in behind. A truly sharp Vardy and Barnes would have made a difference today in turning their back 4 and stopping them compressing the game so much. Maddison coming on made a difference as we had an extra body when playing it through midfield and the last 20 we troubled them a bit, but the game was done by then.

First goal was the key, and it was avoidable. Schmeichel shouldn't have punched the initial Mahrez shot back out into play. 

Next week is the massive game. 

I know Rodgers wasn't here but I wonder if we're still spooked by that De Bruyne goal a few years ago where we hit the post and 10 seconds later they broke and it was in our net.

No shame in losing to a team that has now won 25 of their last 26 matches in all competitions.

We were distinctly second best and can have no complaints. We needed a top performance from everyone today but it didn’t happen. Hats off though to Ndidi, Fofana and, at times, Perez, who all impressed.

A week’s training should get everyone in tune for what are two enormous games in London over the next two Sundays. Win both of those and this defeat will be quickly forgotten.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Worry for me is how we let them physically dominate us. 

Their XI was bigger, faster and stronger than ours, and the ref let allowed them to play with much more physicality than he did us.  We were missing Cags and Barnes, our most physically dominating defender and attacker.

If they dominated us, it wasn't because we mentally "let" them.

Guest bennytwohats

I'm not sure it matters a great deal what your gameplan is when you come up against a team like City in this kind of form. Their press was relentless and de Bruyne was playing some glorious passes. Some of you might be able to, but I'm not sure I could look at that game and point out where we lost it from our side, they were just better than us across the park.

We move on - that's the hardest game we had to play chalked off and Chelsea losing is the big plus for us this weekend. Fingers crossed other results are kind to us as well.

Edited by bennytwohats

They deserved it. 
What I find pathetic is the little digs and comments from KDB and earlier in the season Rodri. Is it really necessary? Especially after beating us today. They will probably end up winning at least 2 trophies this season. I do take it as a compliment as clearly even when we lose to them it rattles them that we are up there. Still pisses me off though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winteriscoming said:

They deserved it. 
What I find pathetic is the little digs and comments from KDB and earlier in the season Rodri. Is it really necessary? Especially after beating us today. They will probably end up winning at least 2 trophies this season. I do take it as a compliment as clearly even when we lose to them it rattles them that we are up there. Still pisses me off though. 

Agreed. It's probably a backhanded compliment in some ways as they see us as a rival. 

When you look at their bench today it reminds you what an incredible job Brendan and the boys have done to be in this position. They probably will win a couple or trophies but they bloody well should for how much they've spent. I genuinely think they've underachieved to have never come close in the CL.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

We would have needed a full strength side and a full week to prepare to have had any hope of getting a result today. We had neither so not too concerned but we need at least a point against West Ham to keep the pressure off.

We need to beat West Ham if we truly have any ambition of Top 4.

24 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Completely agree! 

If a team doesn't give you the time and space to make a pass, or closed you down so quickly you have no option but to either hoof the ball away or lose the ball or that when they attack they come with 4 or 5 players who are better on the ball and are having good game. It's not being negative. What else do these people suggest BR could have done (except the sub taking of kel which I was puzzled with). If we played further up it would have been 4 or 5 rather than 2. These people need to try and understand how good they are and what we tried to do before jumping on the "we were too negative" 

BUT their diving and antics and the ref did annoy me but none of that would have changed the outcome 

I was alarmed as well as puzzled by Kel's substitution.  The Vardy-lheanacho double act has been a great success enabling us to win home games as well as winning away from home on the counterattack. For some time we have had problems at home where Vardy can be snuffed out by a deep defence. Playing with Kelechi has dealt with that problem. Does the return of Maddison mean that Kelechi will be returned to the bench? I very much hope not.

• Like 1