Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

Just now, trabuch said:

One of the things I liked about Klopp's rant about Neville yesterday was when he said "He went to Manu - he went to Sky - he took the money - he was on the slope that has led to this". That's a total misquote, but that what I took from it.   If the SL is finished maybe we should start on Sky and the PL. (That's if we have so much "power"). They haven't really been that good for football fans have they?

Feels like a bit of a wake up call for a lot of people. Only took 1/4 of a century but hopefully now this carries over into a movement for meaningful change in the game. 

Because I am a contrary bastard (and a bit drunk). Why would the Super League have been disastrous for us? I mean you and me. It wouldn't have destroyed football. No one can do that. It may have meant we would have had to watch slightly less skilful players, but so what? It would have been utter shite for Sky and BT Sport. But not you and me.

• Like 1

Fan fury cannot have been the reason for this falling apart. They knew how unpopular and hated this would be. That's why barely anybody knew anything about it- players, managers, media- until Sunday. It must've been discussed, ironed out, worked on for a long time. Massive names and banks on board. Lawyers seemingly heavily involved.

Yet two days of complaining and the whole thing collapses. Very odd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Tsunami of Brexit related jokes incoming. 

Can't wait, hope they're as good as the "Tottenham even managed to finish bottom of that!" jokes that seem to have been copy and pasted into my brain with the same confidence in their originality every time.

Just now, trabuch said:

Because I am a contrary bastard (and a bit drunk). Why would the Super League have been disastrous for us? I mean you and me. It wouldn't have destroyed football. No one can do that. It may have meant we would have had to watch slightly less skilful players, but so what? It would have been utter shite for Sky and BT Sport. But not you and me.

I'm somewhat of the same opinion. It's not like they were threatening to leave the PL and it would've made our league more competitive. And UEFA are crooks anyway.

It's the principle I guess though and it is incredibly satisfying to watch these clubs totally shit the bed in front of the whole world. 

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

It would have effectively destroyed European competition, something we as a team are currently striving for

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trabuch said:

One of the things I liked about Klopp's rant about Neville yesterday was when he said "He went to Manu - he went to Sky - he took the money - he was on the slope that has led to this". That's a total misquote, but that what I took from it.   If the SL is finished maybe we should start on Sky and the PL. (That's if we have so much "power"). They haven't really been that good for football fans have they?

I pointed this out earlier, 30 years of media steroids has boosted these clubs unfairly over everyone else, their only real interest in any other club was in us when we won it, and mainly out of necessity. It felt like bandwagon jumping, slightly uncomfortable and patronising.

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 1

The fa/premier league need to strike now, issue a 12 hour ultimatum to those clubs that remain to show conclusive intent to withdraw or face big point reductions, European bans and huge fines. 

What these owners have done is despicable, this has been done in total secret, then they’ve thrown the players and managers to the sharks to face the music.

One reason this was never going to work is that they need football people, players managers, coaches ect to get on board. These people come from a different background, have a love of the game that is more important than a love of money.

edit, just seen they’ve all pulled out.

4 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I've done all this earlier, but I'm I'm total agreement. 

I landed on, if the teams were kicked out and just went to a separate league system, it has no effect on competition or sporting merit for the remaining teams.

• Like 1

Convinced the moment the German and French teams said no than the end was imminent.  

Worrying how quietly the champion league changes went through without protest, ironically changes brought about to benefit the so called big clubs as we were all distracted with the ESL. 

• Like 1