Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

He has some flaws but has taken us to these massive and consistent highs for the size and income of our club, particularly  as we thought we wouldnt see these highs again after our champions league campaign.

We have to take the rough with the smooth and hope he keeps learning from his mistakes and keeps developing. He's probably the best manager we could get right now and the best manager for us.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just a question...!!!

Did you experience games such as these under Rodgers at Celtic. It just looks like in the big games, we just do not turn up and put up a performance so far removed from what we have previously seen. It is just that all the team are woeful not just three or four and I just wonder if it is something he says or he changes a post match ritual as to the lacklustre performances we have seen over the last two seasons.

Yeah we did tbh, I think I've mentioned on here before that by and large when we played in Europe under him we under achieved. I know some of the sides we faced were lightyears apart in terms of resources but even judging against previous managers who faced the same challenges, who weren't in the same class as Rodgers in terms of ability he performed poorly in Europe even in comparison to guys like Lennon and Strachan. One that sticks out was when we beat a pretty average Zenit side at home in the Europa League last 32 and then we went away and played far too conservatively and got spanked 3-0. We also suffered our record home and away defeats under him in Europe trying to play Barcelona and PSG at their own game.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Rodgers 3/1 to join Spurs?

For a comparison, we were 10/11 to beat Newcastle....

The manager markets are a farce, nothing to be read into with them. I think the max bets are usually 20 quid on them and a few of those bets tend to shift the market quite significantly.

For illustrative purposes Mourinho for a few days after he got sacked at Spurs was 6/1 to be the next Celtic manager. More chance of my 8 year old getting the job than Mourinho taking it.

17 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

People saying he needs to lambast the players publicly, I don't know what era they think that'll work in but it certainly isn't in today's era. As soon as a manager throws his players under the bus in public he's a dead man walking such is the ego/psyche of he modern day footballer. There's absolutely tons of examples of this happening in recent years.

I couldn't care less what Rodgers says to the media post game and I was the same when he was at Celtic. The best managers always defend their players publicly. What gets said behind closed doors is something different however and I'd be amazed if last night Rodgers didn't go through them for that performance.

As a point of reference I can only recall one such occassion where he slated the players unequivocally at Celtic post match and that was after a home defeat to Anderlecht in the champions league.

Hammering the players publically on the eve of an FA cup final and the three most important league games in five years would be akin to Rodgers pressing the self-desruct button on himself.

Except he did do this after beating West Brom 3-0

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Except he did do this after beating West Brom 3-0

On the back of a fantastic first half.

Have we been anything other than poor since?

Confidence gone? Attitude of 'what more can we do?', 'why bother?'. Not the attitude to have and the games since is on the players as much as it is BR but at the same time you couldn't blame them for having those thoughts.

Personally I just think the West Brom 1st half was simple to positive, attacking and exciting. More sideways passes and get the possession percentages up boys!

4 hours ago, LaCiudad said:

For every bookies to have him as favourite with short odds means it's highly likely.

Think this has more to do with other muted targets evaporating. 

Anyway, he’s not moving until the seasons finished anyway, so it’s not exactly a concern now - and depending on how that concludes probably influences what we as fans feel about that possibility.

3 hours ago, peterborofox said:

I've been critical of Rodgers and his half time tactical bits or lack changes of after shite first half performances. Just done some quick stats to see amount of games we've actually come back to get something under him. It didn't seem a lot to me on the face of it.

I make it 22 times we've been losing at half time by varying score lines. 8 times have we come back and taken points out of the game 4 being wins.

I'm not suggesting that is good or bad because I haven't got any other stats of other managers. I heard a comment on the radio about yesterday, and it was said in the past some managers like Mourinho would pull two or even three players off at HT. Again I'm not saying that's the way forward but I don't know if we react well enough in the dressing room, yesterday we came out and didn't look much better at all. 

Although having said that I think there was another stat about us doing well from losing positions (not just half time) so maybe I'm thinking too much into it

We’ve picked up 20 points from losing positions, consisting of 5 wins and 5 draws - the 2nd best record in the league.

Perhaps the more concerning part of this is that we’ve found ourselves in losing positions 20 times.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/punktenachrueckstand/wettbewerb/GB1

7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Think this has more to do with other muted targets evaporating. 

Anyway, he’s not moving until the seasons finished anyway, so it’s not exactly a concern now - and depending on how that concludes probably influences what we as fans feel about that possibility.

True. But we don't want it impacting on the run in and cup final.

Just now, LaCiudad said:

True. But we don't want it impacting on the run in and cup final.

I doubt any speculation at this stage of the season would have much impact.

Players these days live in a world of constant speculation that it should surely become a case of white noise.

The much bigger factor of our situation will be the knowledge of what happened last season and the pressure of not allowing lightening to strike twice.

And perhaps this showed a little yesterday with Rodgers decision making when put in the moment with Jonny Evans withdrawal.

The choice to go with Albrighton is understandable on the one hand - he’s a player in form and an experienced pro - it’s seemingly a ‘safe’ choice.

But playing him as left wingback and Castgne at right centre-half just didn’t work, it stifled what we could do with the ball going forward and ultimately helped Newcastle grow in confidence and into the game to a point they could win it. 

Personally, I think Rodgers got his 11 wrong before the Evans injury - Thomas as our only left footer should have been the choice on the left, with Ricardo making way - and then following the injury to Evans, I’d have been tempted to go with Praet, giving the flexibility to play Wilf in a back three (to maintain our pre-hand approach), but with an eye on him stepping up into midfield if we gained sufficient control of the game.

• Like 2

Why isn't he addressing the Balance or structure within the Team.

How? There aren't the players in the squad or fit to make any changes

Who's fault is that, He's had a few windows and he keeps signing defenders and similar midfielders when

we clearly need another Strong midfielder with pace to help out Wilf.  it's bordering on abuse what's being expected from Wilf. And the team is suffering because of it.

Why does he insist with a system when it clearly isn't working.

Change to what? We literally have no fit left sided players.

While you have a point about fit players it's not just about the players, there's also how you use the players.

why persist with five at the back when we're a couple of Goals down. When things are not going your way you have to try something different.

Why does Substitutions take so long in games where we are struggling or a player is struggling.

Fair point, although again, who do we bring on?

Granted the squad is lacking depth, Yet Thomas and Mendy changed the game when they came on last night. Could he have done it at half time when it was 0-2 nil and maybe got level instead of going further behind before acting.

3 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Added answers in the quote

Why are set pieces so poor and the return from them even worse.

Maddison is crap at corners

We all know that so why doesn't Brendan do something about it. ? 

Why is our positioning at set pieces and corners so poor. We rarely pick up second Balls.

Fair point.

These are simple things to resolve on the Training ground.

Why isn't Kasper encouraged to come off his line especially in the area. 

Kasper isn't the problem with this team.

No he isn't the problem, But he clearly has a confidence problem coming off his line for crosses that's been there for years.

He's been lucky to have been protected by strong CBs in Morgan, Huth and now Evans.

Why isn't he being encouraged to improve this area of his game in Training. 

This will do for starters I'm sure others will add a few more.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, peterborofox said:

I've been critical of Rodgers and his half time tactical bits or lack changes of after shite first half performances. Just done some quick stats to see amount of games we've actually come back to get something under him. It didn't seem a lot to me on the face of it.

I make it 22 times we've been losing at half time by varying score lines. 8 times have we come back and taken points out of the game 4 being wins.

I'm not suggesting that is good or bad because I haven't got any other stats of other managers. I heard a comment on the radio about yesterday, and it was said in the past some managers like Mourinho would pull two or even three players off at HT. Again I'm not saying that's the way forward but I don't know if we react well enough in the dressing room, yesterday we came out and didn't look much better at all. 

Although having said that I think there was another stat about us doing well from losing positions (not just half time) so maybe I'm thinking too much into it

You have to ask why we were losing that often at halftime, surely that would suggest that first half tactics were somewhat askew? Having said that, if Mourhinho pulled a few off at halftime, perhaps Brendan could try it before kick off?

3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

People saying he needs to lambast the players publicly, I don't know what era they think that'll work in but it certainly isn't in today's era. As soon as a manager throws his players under the bus in public he's a dead man walking such is the ego/psyche of he modern day footballer. There's absolutely tons of examples of this happening in recent years.

I couldn't care less what Rodgers says to the media post game and I was the same when he was at Celtic. The best managers always defend their players publicly. What gets said behind closed doors is something different however and I'd be amazed if last night Rodgers didn't go through them for that performance.

As a point of reference I can only recall one such occassion where he slated the players unequivocally at Celtic post match and that was after a home defeat to Anderlecht in the champions league.

Hammering the players publically on the eve of an FA cup final and the three most important league games in five years would be akin to Rodgers pressing the self-desruct button on himself.

I absolutely agree with that, particularly as the biggest bollocking yesterday should be reserved for himself in the mirror. His overall performance was piss poor. Players rightly get slated at times but managers shouldn't be beyond criticism regardless of they being a media darling or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Every manager has setbacks to deal with but losing our two quickest players in Harvey and JJ has killed our game plan somewhat. 

I am still annoyed that JJ was even on the pitch for that FA cup match. He’d played almost every minute of the season and we had Fuchs fit on the bench who had not played in quite a while and who could definitely have done a job vs a weakened Brighton side. I know the injury was a little freakish but I was annoyed about his selection before the game even started. He was a star performer and it’s not like we weren’t already struggling for depth.

In the future, the club will really have to either manage the way we compete on different fronts more efficiently or reach for the cheque book and bring in some reinforcements. With being in Europe as well, it was just not viable to attempt to compete on four fronts in a congested season with the injuries we had.

Hopefully Rodgers can steer the ship back in the right direction over the next few games but he needs to get his s*** together

He’s a great coach, he’s a great man, but he has one flaw that will forever hold him back, he’s not a bit of a bastard. 

Top managers are willy pullers when they need to be. They’re not all nice people who “man manage” their way to the top. This modern day approach of being a nice guy will never consistently win trophy’s. 

Let’s take Fergie as an example. He could be a proper member of the Cambridge university netball team when we wanted to be, if that was a Fergie team in the first half he would have taken three players off and would have made them feel like shit. 

Sometimes the old school approach is better, sometimes the lads don’t need an arm round the shoulder, they need to be told they’re playing shit and they’re coming off, otherwise they just accept the fact they’re playing badly, and know it will never compromise their position in the team. 

He isn’t nasty, he wouldn’t ever say to Maddison at half time, you’re about as useful as a torch with no bulb out there you’re off. He would give him longer to carry on being crap before taking him off when it’s too late (and that’s not just picking on Maddison it counts for everyone).

Managing in Scotland is easy when you’re already better than everyone, but you don’t get such a luxury here, he’s been undone many times because he isn’t prepared to be brave, I’d rather he make a brash decision and pull three players off at HT when we’re 2-0 down to try and force a response rather than leave it until the 60th minute....

I think he needs to go away in the summer and have a think, because he won’t achieve anything in England until he gets a bit of a nasty streak. He’s got the tactical brain, and the football knowledge, he just needs to learn to be a twat sometimes, if he wants a pint and a chat I’ll teach him, I’ve been a twat for most of my life, pretty much a guru in the subject. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt said:

On the back of a fantastic first half.

Have we been anything other than poor since?

Confidence gone? Attitude of 'what more can we do?', 'why bother?'. Not the attitude to have and the games since is on the players as much as it is BR but at the same time you couldn't blame them for having those thoughts.

Personally I just think the West Brom 1st half was simple to positive, attacking and exciting. More sideways passes and get the possession percentages up boys!

I thought that was strange too. It's like because our gameplan was spontaneous (leading to 3 goals) and not totally controlled BR wasn't happy and was much happier with the 0-0 second half. Odd.  Is he just a massive control freak?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s a great coach, he’s a great man, but he has one flaw that will forever hold him back, he’s not a bit of a bastard. 

Top managers are willy pullers when they need to be. They’re not all nice people who “man manage” their way to the top. This modern day approach of being a nice guy will never consistently win trophy’s. 

Let’s take Fergie as an example. He could be a proper member of the Cambridge university netball team when we wanted to be, if that was a Fergie team in the first half he would have taken three players off and would have made them feel like shit. 

Sometimes the old school approach is better, sometimes the lads don’t need an arm round the shoulder, they need to be told they’re playing shit and they’re coming off, otherwise they just accept the fact they’re playing badly, and know it will never compromise their position in the team. 

He isn’t nasty, he wouldn’t ever say to Maddison at half time, you’re about as useful as a torch with no bulb out there you’re off. He would give him longer to carry on being crap before taking him off when it’s too late (and that’s not just picking on Maddison it counts for everyone).

Managing in Scotland is easy when you’re already better than everyone, but you don’t get such a luxury here, he’s been undone many times because he isn’t prepared to be brave, I’d rather he make a brash decision and pull three players off at HT when we’re 2-0 down to try and force a response rather than leave it until the 60th minute....

I think he needs to go away in the summer and have a think, because he won’t achieve anything in England until he gets a bit of a nasty streak. He’s got the tactical brain, and the football knowledge, he just needs to learn to be a twat sometimes, if he wants a pint and a chat I’ll teach him, I’ve been a twat for most of my life, pretty much a guru in the subject. 

He does have a nasty streak it's just not visible in front of people. Look at his personal life, not exactly pleasant.

I've had 24 hours to think it through and still can't get my head around his tactical thought process last night. 

OK we had Evans drop out at short notice but if he truly needed to stick with 3 at the back surely you draft Amartey in at CB and stick Castagne on the left and Ricardo on right as your wingbacks. I still can't fathom how we started with Albrighton at LWB. 

Maddison has been shocking since both the injury and party incident, and Perez has looked like a player who actually resembles a footballer when played in the number 10 role in recent months, yet he still persisted with Madders. 

The whole DM debacle last night was a farce. The defence got ripped a new one every time Newcastle ventured forward so he decided to sub off one of our best midfielders (albeit not quite at the races) and completely expose the back line. We concede two goals and then he reintroduces another DM with a mountain to climb wasting a sub in the process (Wasted because it was unnecessary not because Mendy didn't play well because he was great when he came on). 

None of this makes any sense whatsoever to me. It's almost like he's going out of his way to derail all of the good work that has gone into this season. What's more worrying is that I felt pretty much the same at the back end of last season.

It seems like a mental block to me, one that is holding him back from fulfilling his potential. He needs to find a way to overcome this barrier otherwise he'll just end up being remembered as a nearly man whilst all those around him walk away with the prizes. It reminds me of the shy guy who spends all week in the gym working out, has the good hair, nice clothes (looks the part), majority of people really like him; he rocks up to a nightclub on a Saturday night getting plenty of positive vibes from the best looking ladies in the joint only to go home at the end of the night every week on his own because he doesn't quite have the self belief or courage to make a move on any of them. 

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 2

Anyone notice how many times Rogers said the players didn't have any concentration? It must have been 6 times. What more do these players have on their minds other than the next game for them to be not concentrated? Bills, debt, taxes, unemployment, sickness? They get paid a handsome wage to simply do 1 task and that is focus on fitness and play their best in games. If there is something troubling them than the club should bring back the psychologists.