Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SouthStandUpperTier

Who do you want Summer 2021

1 minute ago, murphy said:

It's nothing new.  Parachute payments have been around for 15 years.  It stops relegated clubs with players on PL contracts going bust but also gives them an unfair advantage.

I’d argue it encourages clubs to offer ludicrous contracts that they simply cannot sustain if they get relegated. The cynic in me will always believe  it’s about Sky protecting the “quality” of their investment by enabling clubs to enter unsustainable debt, without the immediate consequences of such profligacy. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

This should be distributed to the pyramid below the premier just my opinion especially due to Covid fallout. 

I always thought that was the case?

Not sure if its been discussed anywhere else on here, but there has been talk of whether Chris Wood is now good enough for a big move. Probably a bit reactionary since he just scored a hattrick, but he does seem to have come on a hell of a lot since he was last here. 

I always liked him. Would anyone be happy to see him back in a City shirt? Good finisher and a decent big strong target man which is something i dont think we have had for a while

8 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Not sure if its been discussed anywhere else on here, but there has been talk of whether Chris Wood is now good enough for a big move. Probably a bit reactionary since he just scored a hattrick, but he does seem to have come on a hell of a lot since he was last here. 

I always liked him. Would anyone be happy to see him back in a City shirt? Good finisher and a decent big strong target man which is something i dont think we have had for a while

The antithesis of what Rodgers looks for in a striker.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LVocey said:

I wouldn't mind Serdar - the kind of midfielder we could do with in the squad.

If Bournemouth don't win the play-offs, I'd throw Phillip Billing into that area too. I certainly think a rangy box-to-box type would be a nice option.

I like Serdar a lot. Unfortunately he's playing with a terrible team in schalke but he seems to be a good box to box player. 

Might be worth looking at Jovic again. Seems to be working well with Silva now and previously with Haller at Frankfurt. He could be a good long-term partner for Iheanacho. Real could be willing to sell and may welcome some cash so we could get a (relative) bargain.

His strike partner Silva might be worth a punt but he's probably going to be getting CL football with Frankfurt so he might end up being expensive. Plus I think a few of the big boys are sniffing around him.

I've not heard any names that really excite me.  Maybe Daka, but I think I would be happier going into the Championship for Toney.  

I like the model of bringing in outstanding talents from lower leagues and buying potential.  It has already paid dividends with Maddison and Justin and if you look at other clubs, Watkins, Bowen and Eze have all been successful since stepping up this season.  

• Like 4

I know Barnes has been tried as a striker, but from recollection it was as a sole striker. Do you think a Barnes/Nacho combination would work better? We'd need someone whose quick and plays off the shoulder to help Nacho get the space needed... could Barnes do that?

• Like 1

Just now, Rusko187 said:

I know Barnes has been tried as a striker, but from recollection it was as a sole striker. Do you think a Barnes/Nacho combination would work better? We'd need someone whose quick and plays off the shoulder to help Nacho get the space needed... could Barnes do that?

Just reported that Barnes needs another op so the striker business is even more urgent.

22 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

If you want the real deal , and not potential , you have to look at those candidates playing in the five top leagues. Almost all of them are over or nearly thirty. I really think this search for a striker is the most important business we have to do for the future of the club at the top level. Barnes and Iheanacho have given us the chance to take a slight risk but we have to be very careful.

....I think he is worth a look!!!

Last fee reported was £3m.

15 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Its worth a shot. When he's fit enough to start playing a few minutes here and there again, it might be worth taking Vardy off for him and seeing what happens in a relatively risk-free situation - either in the last few games of the season when we're (hopefully) comfortable in 3rd, or in pre-season after he's fully recovered. I'm sure it'll be an option they look at in training as well.

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Meaning we have to drop one of Iheanacho or Vardy? 

No chance we play 4 at the back with 2 strikers and wingers. 

Possibly, but in a 4-2-3-1 Iheanacho would still be taking up a role dropping off Vardy which he is doing at the moment. Ideally we also sign a striker capable of playing the lone role Vardy used to though given his age and form now.

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Meaning we have to drop one of Iheanacho or Vardy? 

No chance we play 4 at the back with 2 strikers and wingers. 

....there is a question mark against Nacho and Vardy at the moment!!!

Looking long term we need a striker other than what we have, as Vardy is (although not firing at the moment) a quality player with one more season in him. Nacho can play as a two, but we could bring in a striker, who can play in a lone role as well as a two.

We have been limited to a certain style at the moment but I believe playing with a back four suits us more, but the versatility of switching, as required either in games or in preparation to certain games is a major plus. The argument then becomes, who do you drop from the back three and so therefore, rotation will have to be the norm.

We need to be looking at where we are going to be in two years, and need to future proof our team now, in order to transition, to get where we want to be.

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....there is a question mark against Nacho and Vardy at the moment!!!

Looking long term we need a striker other than what we have, as Vardy is (although not firing at the moment) a quality player with one more season in him. Nacho can play as a two, but we could bring in a striker, who can play in a lone role as well as a two.

We have been limited to a certain style at the moment but I believe playing with a back four suits us more, but the versatility of switching, as required either in games or in preparation to certain games is a major plus. The argument then becomes, who do you drop from the back three and so therefore, rotation will have to be the norm.

We need to be looking at where we are going to be in two years, and need to future proof our team now, in order to transition, to get where we want to be.

Whatever system we use , whatever tactics we employ , we urgently need another striker. Last night Rodgers had no goal threat on the bench and that won't wash next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

.....we might need another striker, but no there isn’t!!!!!!!!!!

....the question mark is we will not be playing this formation at the start of next season!!!

It is a system which has worked for us this season, and it has served us well, but we will not be going down this road next season.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I think us targeting Gosens suggests that the formations here to stay.

Furthermore, if you wanna keep Cags and Fofana around then they both have to play every game, but Evans is still the main man, so where does that leave us?

....they do not have to play every game!!!

Next season will be a team of versatility and rotation, the flexibility of the team does not lend itself to a one dimensional playing style.

• Like 1