Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

6 hours ago, davieG said:

Posted this in the Do they mean Us thread probably better in here

https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/05/newcastle-united-players-who-would-get-in-this-leicester-city-team/

OPINION
Newcastle United players who would get in this Leicester City team

I was thinking, which Newcastle United players would get in this Leicester City team?

Clearly Leicester have got a far better team, the Premier League table doesn’t lie.

Friday night’s match sees third top against fourth bottom, enough said.

As for comparing the two managers…don’t even go there.

I was interested to just go through and see which Newcastle United players would make it into a best eleven of the two squads…

Goalkeeper

Kasper Schmeichel

Obviously I rate Martin Dubravka and he wouldn’t let anybody down whoever he plays for.

However, hand on heart, you still couldn’t put him in ahead of Schmeichel who has done it year after year, including winning the title.

Full-backs

Ricardo Pereira, James Justin, Luke Thomas, Timothy Castagne

This is not even worth talking about.

The likes of Pereira, Castagne and Justin are real quality players. Do Newcastle United have even one good full-back / wing-back?

We have some honest tryers at Newcastle but Steve Bruce has paid £15m for Jamal Lewis and he can’t even get a game ahead of some very average players. If / when Ritchie leaves, he is going to a Championship club.

Centre-backs

Jonny Evans, Caglar Soyuncu, Wesley Fofana

An area where Newcastle have the most strength in depth but if we are honest, they are much of a muchness. Plus, difficult to ignore the fact that only three Premier League clubs have conceded more than NUFC up to now this season.
All three of the Leicester players listed above are better quality than anything Newcastle have, harsh but true.

Central midfielders
Youri Tielemans, Wilfred Ndidi, Nampalys Mendy, Hamza Choudhury

An embarrassing no contest.

To compare Tielemans and Ndidi to Jonjo Shelvey is just painful. Even Isaac Hayden, very popular with Newcastle fans but also very limited. Does a job and tries hard but also levels below the Leicester options.

Attacking midfielders
James Maddison, Harvey Barnes, Marc Albrighton

Allan Saint-Maximin is the name that obviously springs to mind. However, when you look at Harvey Barnes with nine goals in just 22 PL starts this season, directly involved (goals and assists) in 27 goals in 46 PL starts these past two season, Maddison directly involved in 36 goals in 85 PL starts these past three seasons, ASM’s six goals and eight assists in the PL these past two seasons don’t come close.
Maybe under a different manager who knows, you can the same to an extent about Almiron. The negative tactics employed by Steve Bruce make it so difficult for flair / attacking players at Newcastle.

Strikers

Jamie Vardy, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ayoze Perez

Callum Wilson is a good striker but Jamie Vardy one of the very best. You would have to say as well that Iheanacho is now showing he is very good and would also get into a team ahead of the Newcastle striker. As for the claims of Joelinton, Andy Carroll and Dwight Gayle…

Summing up

Looking at the complete picture, I can’t see a single Newcastle player getting into a combined team of the two squads.

Leicester City have bought consistently well, yes they will have the odd signing that doesn’t work out but that happens to all clubs.

A sobering thought as well that Steve Bruce has been allowed a net spend of over £100m on transfers in his four transfer windows, in the same four windows Brendan Rodgers has had a net spend of £18m on transfers.

The combined talents of Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce have spent more on Joelinton than Leicester have done on any of their players.

In the recent game against Burnley, Joelinton was the only Steve Bruce signing in the starting eleven, on the bench seven of the eight outfield players were Bruce signings. These last three matches after Burnley, only two Steve Bruce signings have started each one. That is after the NUFC Head Coach has been allowed to make 14 permanent and temporary signings since he arrived two years ago.

The whole set-up at Newcastle United is so amateurish and nowhere more so than player recruitment, nobody even knowing who is the main man making many of the signings – Ashley, Charnley, Nickson, Bruce…?

Still doesn't guarantee us a win?

.... what was the actual point of this article? Or was the author just trying to see how depressed he could get before filing it lol 

• Haha 1

On 02/05/2021 at 06:43, car1os said:

Some over-reactions here. Southampton played well and defended doggedly - they wanted to put the 9-0 to bed. We’ve played 4 games in 12 days and looked tired, hence our sloppy passing and poor decision making during the game. We didn’t lose it either!!

We’ll be better against Newcastle. As long as we beat them I think we’ll be fine as I can see us beating Tottenham too, which will give us enough points to qualify for CL

I agree but hope it's sewn up before the last match. Don't think my ticker can take it.

Edited by gw_leics772
****ing bastard ****ing auto ****ing bastard omg correct. **** (Edit 2, where the **** did ****ing omg bastard come from?? ****er)[edit 3- ****ing ticker, not ticket!]
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

The Perez one second half, the keepers made a good save but a yard either side and he's not getting it.

I can't even remember that one. I just know we had plenty of chances over the game to win it and as you say, a lucky penalty was the only way Southampton were scoring.

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

No Vardy or Evans in the training pictures and Tielemans has a black eye.

Let the wild speculation commence.

Vardy had a slight swollen ankle and Evans with a sore foot. Assume they're being protected. And does Tielemans? 

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

Yeah he's got to hit the target from there.

...Ndidi has been poor in that position for some time and someone needs to sort out his technique or instruct him to recycle in that instance. 

You do seem  to have the same deficiencies occurring every week and not being addressed. Ndidi has been doing this for years, pull him to one side and sort his technique out or he look to recycle the ball as he is incapable of shooting with a modicum of any kind of accuracy. 

Sometimes the individual needs to take the inniative, in order to improve themselves. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Couple of times in recent years we’ve played Newcastle at home in the run in and secured a pivotal win. Tonight is no exception - 3-1 (Vardy, Tielemans, Iheanacho) 

That reminded me of the Mike Williamson red in the 3-0 win when the great John Carver said he got sent off on purpose.  Wonder if they'd prefer him back in stead of Brucey?

So... the big calls:

3 at the back or 4?

Does maddison start?  - if not then will preat or ayoze start?

Ricardo?

Albrighton?

start slow (be in it at halftime) - or play high intensity form the start?

Edited by foxinsocks

10 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

That reminded me of the Mike Williamson red in the 3-0 win when the great John Carver said he got sent off on purpose.  Wonder if they'd prefer him back in stead of Brucey?

That's like choosing between a donkey's kick in the left nut or the right.

We have a great record vs Newcastle of late and they looked like they’re already thinking about their holidays in their last game...

Confident of a win here, and it is a must win. Huge game. 

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Really enjoyed that game. We flew out the blocks, Ulloa dominant, Wasyl wiped someone out (fairly), they melted down on and off the pitch. When I knew we’d stay up.