Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OhYesNdidi

Coutinho

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Signing a player of this stature could help us become more recognised. Players, pundits, media and fans would look at it as "Leicester aren't messing around anymore" we could go from a hot bed of young, talented players with huge potential to a side who is genuinely serious about challenging for titles on the big stage. 

There is some truth to this, although I can't see us doing it without getting a fire sale discount.

If Coutinho pushes us to a top 4 spot, he'd be worth it, without knock on effects.

I wouldn't think this will happen as Rodgers has said numerous times our transfer model isn't to go out any buy this type of player. 

I think if you gave him the choice of Coutinho or 3 young, promising and hungry players he'd choose the latter surely? 

11 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I wouldn't think this will happen as Rodgers has said numerous times our transfer model isn't to go out any buy this type of player. 

I think if you gave him the choice of Coutinho or 3 young, promising and hungry players he'd choose the latter surely? 

You would hope so, although he has also said he want to bring in broken players and rejuvinate them. Coutinho is pretty broken.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Collymore said:

On paper yeah but case by case matter. If we could get Coutinho without paying stupid wages (massive if) then it’s a no brainer. Cash is obviously the biggest factor in this deal, I’d imagine he’d be open to linking up with BR again even just for 6-12 months on loan. Probably be just what he needs. 
If Barca could subsidise his wages or he took a monumental pay cut (neither will happen) then I’d be well keen 

5 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

You would hope so, although he has also said he want to bring in broken players and rejuvinate them. Coutinho is pretty broken.

but didn't he mean that as in the sense there would be value in the signing?  I can understand taking on a player that's lost his way that you get relatively cheap, but the figures being banded about for PC just seem astronomical still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

The thing is with signings like this (not saying for a second it will happen, even if we are genuinely interested) it's not necessarily all about the player on the pitch. 

While it's very different, pulling off a signing like this could have the same impact as when Man City signed Robinho. 

The signing never really worked out, putting it mildly. But I do believe that the signing helped make Man City what they are now. 

Signing a player of this stature could help us become more recognised. Players, pundits, media and fans would look at it as "Leicester aren't messing around anymore" we could go from a hot bed of young, talented players with huge potential to a side who is genuinely serious about challenging for titles on the big stage. 

We know that we are already doing so, but from the outside looking in that may not be the case. Of course, with our structure it would be a huge gamble, and we can't afford the risk of Coutinho turning out like Robinho did for Man City, so the fit would have to be right, but if we did pull off a signing like this and it did work out, other players of similar standing could be more easily persuaded to join us

What helped Man City was that it was followed up with constant and huge spending. The signing of Robinho on its own and any perceived benefits would have been short lived without that follow up spending... which we won't do. 

• Like 1

There are a few players around at big clubs who are potentially stuck, like Kane, due to being on huge wages etc that only another similar club could afford.

its all well and good them signing these lucrative contracts, but if they fall out of favour, become surplus or simply want to move on then they either have to take a pay cut or see out their contracts on the bench (or not even in the squad like ozil)

it has been reported that pep would be willing to let Stirling and Mahrez  go but who could realistically afford them?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, urban fox said:

There are a few players around at big clubs who are potentially stuck, like Kane, due to being on huge wages etc that only another similar club could afford.

its all well and good them signing these lucrative contracts, but if they fall out of favour, become surplus or simply want to move on then they either have to take a pay cut or see out their contracts on the bench (or not even in the squad like ozil)

it has been reported that pep would be willing to let Stirling and Mahrez  go but who could realistically afford them?

But it's not just elite players. Look how difficult we found moving Slimani and Silva on, all down to what we were paying them. 

6 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Bale springs to mind in this context.

Imagine having Messi, Aguero, Griezman and Coutinho starting for you, you would think Barcelona would be unplayable. Trouble is the opposition won't be particularly impressed. Its often not the big names that win you titles its the guys you rarely hear about.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

Imagine having Messi, Aguero and Coutinho starting for you, you would think Barcelona would be unplayable. Trouble is the opposition won't be particularly impressed. Its often not the big names that win you titles its the guys you rarely hear about.

I hear what you are saying, but I do think Messi has been the main catalyst for Barcelona's success over the last decade.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yet also a key component in their decline

Financially he actually isn’t a detriment to Barcelona, he brings in more revenue for the club through sponsors (who pay more to the club to have him involved) than they spend on his wages

Once he leaves though, they are going to lose a massive portion of their revenue (supposedly 30%), it is why they are so desperate to sell basically anybody to get him re-signed

https://everythingbarca.com/2021/02/05/lionel-messi-generates-barcelona/

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Financially he actually isn’t a detriment to Barcelona, he brings in more revenue for the club through sponsors (who pay more to the club to have him involved) than they spend on his wages

Once he leaves though, they are going to lose a massive portion of their revenue (supposedly 30%), it is why they are so desperate to sell basically anybody to get him re-signed

https://everythingbarca.com/2021/02/05/lionel-messi-generates-barcelona/

Thats not the point. He has a large impact on their wage cap, and of course financially overall they would be worse off without him, but unless they can offset it into wages, it is of no effect. Their continual topping up of his wages only continues to exacerbate the problem, such to a degree they are seeking any and all options to continue the trend. They could have put their big boy pants on and decided the time was right to restructure what Barcelona is, but lumping on Messi is an easy way to get the win in the presidential election.

I can see them needing to not only let him go for free but also contribute to his wages. 

Which I think is the only reason we’d be linked. It might be different to our usual model but if the deal is good, it’s hard to not drift away this one time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Imagine having Messi, Aguero, Griezman and Coutinho starting for you, you would think Barcelona would be unplayable. Trouble is the opposition won't be particularly impressed. Its often not the big names that win you titles its the guys you rarely hear about.

Yes, loved it when the unknown u23 player Tielemens  scored a worldie in the FA cup final..

• Haha 1

We need to pick up one of those Turkish transfer negotiators, and send them off to Barcelona. He'll come back with coutinho on loan with Barca picking up all his wages, an option to buy for £3.76, a couple of Barca b youngsters, a gift shop goodie bag and a 10% off coupon for the Gaudi museum.

3 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

There is some truth to this, although I can't see us doing it without getting a fire sale discount.

If Coutinho pushes us to a top 4 spot, he'd be worth it, without knock on effects.

...that would be a reason to go ahead and sign him!!!

The more likely response from the media would be, " he s too good for a club like Leicester...." and have endless discussions of where he would fit in a top four team.

I personally believe we are a top four team already and fully staffed we can prove it again this coming season.

Breaking our wages structure for him for a season might send a message to the outside but what does it say to the players already trying to take their chance when it arrives in this team. 

We can't be looking to buy success, at least, not gambling with the ethos we have and the chance to prove yourself, so long as you are committed to do the work that is asked of you.

34 minutes ago, MPH said:

Yes, loved it when the unknown u23 player Tielemens  scored a worldie in the FA cup final..

Did say often not always. Compared to the above four Youri  is an unknown. Its a team game and star players without the guys who do the donkey work can rarely get the job done , see Kane and Spurs

Two points to consider before I'd sign him. 1. Whether he would fit into our style of play and with our players and 2. That we don't pay barca more than half of his wages. If he comes here then he comes here to do a job. I'm not a fan of loan signings but if he could push us into the top 4 then so beit, but I wouldn't want us making a habit of this type of signing due to potential knocks to the confidence of the junior players and to keep the integrity of our transfer model intact.

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

... funnily, Rodgers stated that he is looking for players with a winning mentality!!!

As you have witnessed we can crumble when the pressure is on and it has happened twice and I am sure he does not want to repeat that process again.

If bringing in Coutinho gives us the mentality which Rodgers is looking for, then for him, it will be money well spent. 

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Did say often not always. Compared to the above four Youri  is an unknown. Its a team game and star players without the guys who do the donkey work can rarely get the job done , see Kane and Spurs

I beg to differ, he’s played regularly for the no.1 team in the world and has been getting more screen time last year than most players in England. Certainly more so than grizeman and coutinho who haven’t even been playing regularly football.  Only reason aguero has been this season is because his illustrious time at man city has come to an end. He’s not played regularly either.

2 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

I hear what you are saying, but I do think Messi has been the main catalyst for Barcelona's success over the last decade.

...Great players will always be great players...but it is the trophies they collect which defines them!!!

Messi will always be Messi but with Inesta and the other players around him, then you are winning trophies.

Imagine Michael Jordan going through his career not winning the NBA finals, people say he was the best ever but without the trophies he could not be compared to, Majic, Byrd, Abdul Jabar and without water carriers it doesn’t work.

11 minutes ago, MPH said:

I beg to differ, he’s played regularly for the no.1 team in the world and has been getting more screen time last year than most players in England. Certainly more so than grizeman and coutinho who haven’t even been playing regularly football.  Only reason aguero has been this season is because his illustrious time at man city has come to an end. He’s not played regularly either.

Fair enough, but our most high profile player and yes our only world famous player is Jamie Vardy esq.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Great players will always be great players...but it is the trophies they collect which defines them!!!

Messi will always be Messi but with Inesta and the other players around him, then you are winning trophies.

Imagine Michael Jordan going through his career not winning the NBA finals, people say he was the best ever but without the trophies he could not be compared to, Majic, Byrd, Abdul Jabar and without water carriers it doesn’t work.

But it works both ways. Great players like Messi, Ronaldo etc. do need other players around them, but just like Kane at Spurs, these players put the ball in the net. I suppose what I am saying is, would we have won the league without Vardy's goals, where would Spurs be without Kane, Man City have relied heavily on Aguero in the past. Whilst I agree players around them like Iniesta create the chances, but truly great players can create something out of nothing and I'm not convinced Barcelona would have been as successful without Messi.

• Like 1