Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

England v Czech Republic Match Thread

Harsh on Mings, Foden and James, so I hope and pray it's for the sake of rotation rather than a deliberate move on Southgate's part to raise my blood pressure. I get the need for rotation but he's hooked arguably our three best performers in an otherwise turgid past two games.

At least Grealish finally gets a start, shame it took Covid protocol to prise his best mate Mount away from the starting XI. It would just sum up my current opinion of the setup if we play an absolute blinder today, only to revert to the lineup and utterly negative tactics we've seen so far.

I really come across as a grumpy anti-fan sometimes, don't I? I do love this country, honestly.  :fishing:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

Blind optimism? But I fancy us to win. 

Very blind.

A striker who can barely walk, let alone run. A woefully out of form winger. Picking 2 defensive midfielders, Saka over Sancho.

Yep I'm hoping you've got a nice name for your Labrador because its very blind optimism lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Harsh on Mings, Foden and James, so I hope and pray it's for the sake of rotation rather than a deliberate move on Southgate's part to raise my blood pressure. I get the need for rotation but he's hooked arguably our three best performers in an otherwise turgid past two games.

At least Grealish finally gets a start, shame it took Covid protocol to prise his best mate Mount away from the starting XI. It would just sum up my current opinion of the setup if we play an absolute blinder today, only to revert to the lineup and utterly negative tactics we've seen so far.

I really come across as a grumpy anti-fan sometimes, don't I? I do love this country, honestly.  :fishing:

If it was rotation Kane and Sterling would get a rest, as might Stones. Its clearly deliberate.

• Sad 1

The obsession with Sterling means we can never get the best out of players. Grealish should be wide left, he isn't as Sterling is playing so he is central with Saka on the right (who is also best on the left.)

However if Sterling is on the right, then Saka can be on the left but again Grealish is central and now Sterling is out of position.

Why couldn't he just go with Sancho Foden and Grealish, in a game that has little on it. We will never see that now and it could have been the difference. Another tournament wasted.

• Like 1

One silver lining - I am now delighted that Vardy wasn't coaxed out of retirement to join England for this tournament. I'd only be even more pissed off at the chronic misuse of the players at Southgate's disposal. lol

• Like 2

The Czechs are a better side than Scotland in most metrics too.

We could honestly be ending up third in this group if we're not on it today and perform like we did on Saturday. Schick is a better frontman than the Tartan Army's main man, who has flattered to deceive in the Championship for QPR. Give him a sight of goal and Pickford will be picking the ball out the net.

Be glad to be proven wrong, but the chaotic neutral in me thinks it might send a message to the FA that we need to get rid of Southgate. So I'm torn.

Edited by OntarioFox

I might treat myself to observing the process of the changing status of some wet emulsion for 90 minutes to get in the right mood for a Gareth Southgate team selection.

He's saying that as Mount has been playing more as a no.8 that replacing him with Grealish as a no.10  is like an adventurous exciting step. Really torn whether to watch the Scots instead, particularly as historically they'll get in a good position then point gun at own feet and shoot but at least the likes of McGinn and Robertson are running at people and going past them. Another Puel-esque display of water-carrier passing from England, safety first to the extreme, will send me to sleep.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

There's a hell of a lot of expectation on Grealish's shoulders. But he appears to be a cocky sod, so I expect it will gee him up.

Possibly because he's the only useful attacking player in the line up tonight.

• Like 1

I know naff all about snacho, so have no qualms with Sako.playing. 

But this 'thou shalt play sterling' law is frustrating. And this Leeds lad with the hair. Have I.missed something? He basically comes across as a competent upper championship midfielder in the Andy King, Dean Hammond mould.  But I accept every man and his dog rates him. I just haven't seen it yet.