Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Germany Tues 29/06/21 17:00 Wembley

Please don't try and play some weird containment job. Germany are there for the taking and that will play in to their hands. Set up with a lot of pace and set some traps, we cannot be as pedestrian as we have in these opening 3 games. I don't want us retaining possession for the sake of it.

The 5 subs will be fascinating for us, a front 3 of Rashford Kane/DCL Sancho may well be needed to expose their wingback system. I hope we don't try and match them up on formation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

This is the weird thing about England at the minute, that has absolutely not been true so far and it is the defense that has carried the team which on paper looked weak. Very odd.

Well, Southgate was a defender

Problem with England is we play the same way whether its a friendly, qualifying or tournament, the German team can look average but they have the ability to raise their game when it matters.

I can see England playing at the same standard as we always do which will probably mean Germany edge through.

But hopefully for the first time in 20 years we can actually beat a 'big' team.

40 minutes ago, Stadt said:

About time Kane turned up in a big game 

I think it will turn out to be a masterstroke that we rested him for the group games. 

Anyway, as others have said Germany aren't particularly strong at the moment, the manager seems to have lost the plot a tad and if they continue to play Sane who seems to have become absolute bob, then all should be good. 

However we need to go in with a positive mindset, and not think "oh we always lose to these" otherwise we'll be done for. Almost need them to take the lead so we have to release the shackles. 

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The German team really isn't well thought of over there, I think we've got a decent shot especially seeing as it's at home. 

Would be happy lining up as we did on Tuesday. 

Can confirm. I have watched games for a long time and the last 3 or so years have been pretty average at best, very few standout games. We are capable of a good game but we are nowhere near consistent enough to string a few together.

General consensus in Germany is that England haven't been fantastic, but they also know how bad Germany have been of late. Personally, I think England have been OK and most importantly, consistent. If England go through then the route to the final is just a matter of form. If Germany go through, then I am sure the next game will see a loss to Ukraine/Sweden. That's the current feeling about this team.

I think England will have too much for Germany. Defensively strong and Germany have struggled to score goals and break teams down (let's ignore Latvia who are poor and Portugal who played into our hands the way they setup/play). Germany's defense is also terrible, pretty much conceeding at least 1 goal a game (we have already shipped 5 goals). Weak at set piece defending which England are good at. If you analyse the two teams, England are clear favourites. However, they still need to do the job. Turn up, and comfortable. Fail to put a performance in and make hard work of it.

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The 5 subs will be fascinating for us, a front 3 of Rashford Kane/DCL Sancho may well be needed to expose their wingback system. I hope we don't try and match them up on formation.

Low will probably go and take the handbrake off now, he risked it for the last 10 minutes which ended up saving them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Can confirm. I have watched games for a long time and the last 3 or so years have been pretty average at best, very few standout games. We are capable of a good game but we are nowhere near consistent enough to string a few together.

General consensus in Germany is that England haven't been fantastic, but they also know how bad Germany have been of late. Personally, I think England have been OK and most importantly, consistent. If England go through then the route to the final is just a matter of form. If Germany go through, then I am sure the next game will see a loss to Ukraine/Sweden. That's the current feeling about this team.

I think England will have too much for Germany. Defensively strong and Germany have struggled to score goals and break teams down (let's ignore Latvia who are poor and Portugal who played into our hands the way they setup/play). Germany's defense is also terrible, pretty much conceeding at least 1 goal a game (we have already shipped 5 goals). Weak at set piece defending which England are good at. If you analyse the two teams, England are clear favourites. However, they still need to do the job. Turn up, and comfortable. Fail to put a performance in and make hard work of it.

Look at the players man for man and Germany are the favourites.  Especially in midfield, Kroos, Goretzka, Gundogan, Kimmich compared to what world beaters Rice and Henderson. Come on, we don't even have a box to box midfielder, I don't count Mount in that category. There's no way England can be clear favourites here.

• Like 2

I’d be very surprised if we beat Germany. If they turn up like they did against Portugal we are in for a rough time. They might not be as good as they were but they are still a better side than England. I hope England surprise me for a change and actually manage to beat a good side in a knockout game of a competition. When was the last time we did that?

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Well, Southgate was a defender

If it's five at the back, and two defensive midfielders, that' seven defenders. Explains why we concede so few goals and score few

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Look at the players man for man and Germany are the favourites.  Especially in midfield, Kroos, Goretzka, Gundogan, Kimmich compared to what world beaters Rice and Henderson. Come on, we don't even have a box to box midfielder, I don't count Mount in that category. There's no way England can be clear favourites here.

On paper, possibly. Attack/defense wise, I doubt you would want any of Germany's players, maybe Neuer but Pickford has been superb so far. Rice had a good season, fully get the Henderson point but hasn't Phillips played most of the games.

Grealish needs to play, he will boss the German backline. Don't quite understand why he doesn't play more but maybe Mount being forced out was a blessing in disguise. Although Mount is back for Tuesday (not sure if they can train with the squad though). What a weird rule that is anyway...

14 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

If it's five at the back, and two defensive midfielders, that' seven defenders. Explains why we concede so few goals and score few

Fortress England with talented attackers sounds great as long as he can get the most out of the attackers.

Perhaps I have just not been made completely cynical by decades of England performances, but I feel like England have a very manageable route to the Final. Germany is by far the weakest of the 3 Group F teams, and is the one team that England matches up best against. Portugal and France would have put 11 men behind the ball and would have been happy to allow England to flounder in possession. Germany, on the other hand, will want to possess the ball a bit more, and will allow England to get their playmakers like Sterling, Rashford, etc. in space. I also don't think the German team is that athletic. Not to mention Löw is on the way out, and has gotten his tactics wrong all tournament. 

If England get through, they will get the weakest possible opponent in the winner of Sweden - Ukraine. In fact, i would argue that 6 of the top 8 teams in Europe are on the opposite side of the bracket, and thus wouldn't face England until the final - (Belgium, Portugal, Italy, France, Spain, Croatia).

Sweden/Ukraine, Netherlands/Czech, Wales/Denmark are all very mediocre. That makes this match against Germany even more important. 

• Like 1

So here's a questions, if Kane plays 90mins (which 100% will), doesn't score, doesn't really contribute... basically everything we've seen for the last 270 mins. What does it take for Southgate to actually give another striker a chance? Vardy got flack for stepping down from International duty and IMO much of that decision came from sitting on the bench and only getting pitch time once we were safe and Southgate wanted to rest Kane. In a must win game he still didn't get a chance even when it was clear Kane was ineffective (and had been for games). Why would a player want to give up their holiday to warm a spot on the England bench for when the manager wants to rest Kane? Southgate takes off effective players like Foden or Grealish but Kane stays on the pitch. His he doing it in a hope Kane scores and so he can say, see I was right to keep playing him. Well what happens if he doesn't? We get knocked out by Germany and Kane has scored ZERO goals. 

At what point do commentators re-assess Kane beyond just stats and instead what he's actually done in big games? They make ENDLESS excuses for him and Southgate. It blows my mind that they say it's not Kane's fault because he didn't get many chances, it's not Southgate's fault because he wouldn't tell players not to pass to him or push up the field to support him.... What I hear is them blaming Foden, Saka, Grealish, Sterling, Walker... you know the players who have been doing their jobs!!!! It's mad. 

In pretty much every main competition Kane has gone missing after the group stages, maybe this time it'll be reversed and he gets a hat-trick against Germany (I hope so) and we go on to see him dominate the later stages. I genuinely hope that happens. But that's all it is HOPE. If that doesn't happen can Southgate and the commentator stop referring to Kane as the team's talisman, take away the captain-hood (if he still has it) and just relegate him back to just a normal player that can be subbed when playing a bit crap? 

That was a massive half-rant that I needed off my chest sorry lol    

• Like 4

Kane won't be dropped no matter what. Rooney had similar treatment and it's why they lost Vardy. Kane is obviously our best striker, but not to the extent we should treat him like Poland would Lewandowski - where you could build a case the only reason they really qualify is because of him.

But we've always had this attitude for some reason.