Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Germany Tues 29/06/21 17:00 Wembley

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I was trying this yesterday and couldn’t find a free VPN.

Pure fluke this morning, I’ve checked so many times and managed to get on and get 4 tickets straight away. Buzzing

Nice one. Our tickets through ESTC haven't come through yet. Old man's have though. 

Out of the 3 group games I was lower tier once and Upper tier twice. 

Let's see what later holds. 

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Nice one. Our tickets through ESTC haven't come through yet. Old man's have though. 

Out of the 3 group games I was lower tier once and Upper tier twice. 

Let's see what later holds. 

I’m in lower I think, Cat 3 Block 534.

One thing that is really standing out for me about this match, and indeed the tournament from the English perspective is the general apathy.  I don't really see anyone wearing England shirts, very few flags flying, nobody is really talking about it.  

Have English fans generally lost interest in the national team and tournament football?  Are people just tired of boring negative Southgateball?  The potential waste of another talented generation?  Or is a case of enough excuses, fans expect finals or nothing now?

I openly admit I wouldn't lose sleep if we go out on Tuesday (which I expect will be the case).  That was unthinkable for me just a few years ago.

• Like 1

I do wonder if the constant harking back to Euro 96 isn't helping. I appreciate and agree that the football England have played has been dull and getting by with the minimum but to hear all the references to how brilliant something was almost means this lot can't compete with that. I mean, most of the players now weren't born or don't remember it yet are being asked questions about the tournament as though it really means something to them.

The World Cup run has heightened expectations along with the quality of the squad but, if we go out on Tuesday. this tournament will leave no fond memories. Southgate has to win the match having offered so little in the group stage.

Guest ttfn
6 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

One thing that is really standing out for me about this match, and indeed the tournament from the English perspective is the general apathy.  I don't really see anyone wearing England shirts, very few flags flying, nobody is really talking about it.  

Have English fans generally lost interest in the national team and tournament football?  Are people just tired of boring negative Southgateball?  The potential waste of another talented generation?  Or is a case of enough excuses, fans expect finals or nothing now?

I openly admit I wouldn't lose sleep if we go out on Tuesday (which I expect will be the case).  That was unthinkable for me just a few years ago.

I thought the same thing this morning actually.

15 years ago it seemed like there was a flag in every other window and every other car. I’ve barely seen any this year. The amateur psychologist in me wonders if people found another outlet for their nationalism.

20 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

12 minutes ago, ttfn said:

15 years ago it seemed like there was a flag in every other window and every other car. I’ve barely seen any this year. The amateur psychologist in me wonders if people found another outlet for their nationalism.

There was rather a lot of fervour during the 2018 run if I remember right and I don't think folks would fall out of favour in just three years with not many matches played.

My take is simply that it's playing second fiddle to other events and most notably the ongoing spectre of Covid.

34 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

There was rather a lot of fervour during the 2018 run if I remember right and I don't think folks would fall out of favour in just three years with not many matches played.

My take is simply that it's playing second fiddle to other events and most notably the ongoing spectre of Covid.

I disagree, just look at any social media post relating to the England team and Southgate in particular, it's breathtakingly negative.  Most people I speak too are also extremely down on the national side.  The reaction to media articles today suggesting Southgate is going to get a contract extension to the next Euros REGARDLESS of the result on Tuesday has been met with blinding criticism.

Something isn't right.  I think maybe the fans have realised that 2018 was a complete fluke..."easy" run to the semis but we still ended up losing three matches (basically vs anyone decent) and since then we've been stunningly dull and average since....once again despite the fact we have an incredible crop coming through the ranks.

I genuinely feel the country at large has had enough somewhat and only a tournament win will get them back in the numbers we saw during the 2000's.

I hope a GOOD win on Tuesday can turn things around but defeat could spell a bit of a disaster for the FA.

8 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

I disagree, just look at any social media post relating to the England team and Southgate in particular, it's breathtakingly negative.  Most people I speak too are also extremely down on the national side.  The reaction to media articles today suggesting Southgate is going to get a contract extension to the next Euros REGARDLESS of the result on Tuesday has been met with blinding criticism.

Something isn't right.  I think maybe the fans have realised that 2018 was a complete fluke..."easy" run to the semis but we still ended up losing three matches (basically vs anyone decent) and since then we've been stunningly dull and average since....once again despite the fact we have an incredible crop coming through the ranks.

I genuinely feel the country at large has had enough somewhat and only a tournament win will get them back in the numbers we saw during the 2000's.

I hope a GOOD win on Tuesday can turn things around but defeat could spell a bit of a disaster for the FA.

TBH it's certainly possible, what I'm saying is entirely speculative.

I guess we'll only really know when the tournament is done.

20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I dunno if it's any worse than a few years ago. To be honest even despite not being a great Southgate fan I still prefer him to Hodgson, who was an abysmal England manager.

And then you remember Graham Taylor, Kevin Keegan, Steve McClaren and Fabio Capello and you realise that Southgate is nowhere near to being among our worst managers. Not even close.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

And then you remember Graham Taylor, Kevin Keegan, Steve McClaren and Fabio Capello and you realise that Southgate is nowhere near to being among our worst managers. Not even close.

there all as bad as each other Venables was the last decent manager Sven was OK from what I can remember..

About the support point the Euros are never as well supported like the World Cups for some reason, I think covid has had an effect as well... sure the hype will start building now and if we beat Germany expect to see a few more flags

3 hours ago, ttfn said:

Plenty of flags where I live, in particular my street.

5 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

I have seen plenty about but I think this is just reflects that people's interests are far more fragmented now. Something really popular now will do 7-8 million viewers whereas twenty years ago that would be 20 million plus plenty of younger people don't watch games anymore. Southgateball and the poor quality of the England squad probably doesn't help either.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I dunno if it's any worse than a few years ago. To be honest even despite not being a great Southgate fan I still prefer him to Hodgson, who was an abysmal England manager.

Disagee...Hodgson got rid of the old guard..started to bring in other potential talent...& did reasonably well..But his team, Not squad selection,went well  Off the 

ralls for that World-cup...!!! He changed & turned his tactics.....He seeme d to Stop listening to himself, and took too much suggestions  on from the media...!!

I am Not sure, Bit I Honestly believe, in that period Running into that W.cup he had a Burn-out ..!!