Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Germany Tues 29/06/21 17:00 Wembley

Just now, Bert said:

Pickford
Trippier, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Phillips, Rice
Saka, Sterling, Kane

Sounds like it. Looks like we're going for the minnow approach of sit deep and hit them on the break. At least we'll have some pace up the top end of the pitch. It's a great shame he doesn't have faith in the very talented attacking players he has at his disposal.

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fcukin stupid, play Saka instead of Trippier for heavens sake.

Trippier is a very good set piece taker and we've been poor at those so far. That's probably why he's in. Plus, he's evolved into a very good defender under Simeone. 

Edited by ClaphamFox

42 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Trippier is a very good set piece taker and we've been poor at those so far. That's probably why he's in. Plus, he's evolved into a very good defender under Simeone. 

There's 6 other defenders or DM's in there though.

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I love Southgate. He really knows how to rattle fans, it really is great to see.

Also goes to show how over hyped grealish was last game - he played okay but saka definitely showed a lot more and sterling has scored 14 goals in his last 19 games.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I love Southgate. He really knows how to rattle fans, it really is great to see.

Also goes to show how over hyped grealish was last game - he played okay but saka definitely showed a lot more and sterling has scored 14 goals in his last 19 games.

Saka is a clever decision too potentially, given he'll add extra support to the wingback. Trippier contrasts him well, able to hog the touchline too. 

Worried on our central pairing, very defensive and lacks ball carrying ability.

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Saka is a clever decision too potentially, given he'll add extra support to the wingback. Trippier contrasts him well, able to hog the touchline too. 

Worried on our central pairing, very defensive and lacks ball carrying ability.

I would have done it differently myself but we haven't conceded a goal in qualifying so hard to knock him.

43 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I read the England band are back tonight.

I know. As if Southgate's selection isn't going to make the experience bad enough. We now have to put up with a totally uninspiring "come on England, come on England" and the Great Escape constantly drip dripping into our ears.

Southgate definitely has 'too many' options when it comes to attacking midfielders. There is an argument for all of them. Ideally we should be having a formation that gets 3 of them in rather than 2. I can understand the pace of Saka and Sterling in this game. But we have noone in midfield who can create anything and play the through balls to Sterling. Which is why Kane pisses about thinking he's a quarterback. 

Either way Southgate is in a position now that even if we win tonight and go far in this tournament. It would be considered to be in spite of him rather than because of him. We will have play some amazing football for him to get any credit lol 

Also, I can't see Wembley being a 'hostile' environment for Germany..

Edited by RowlattsFox

I understand the Germans play with width and our set up is built to nullify it, but fvck that.

Why focus on nullifying a team worse than ours? That's a loser's mentality. I think Shaw and Walker are strong enough to deal with their wide threat without having to change to a formation I can't ever remember us playing.

We should be playing to our strengths and imposing our game, not adapting to any threat of the opposition. We're too good not to.

I'd start with the below. Henderson looked good when he came on in the last game and will find a pass. I'd have him and Grealish pulling the strings. Rudiger and Hummels is a defence which theoretically and evidently can and will be gotten at, so throw pace at them and they will crumble. 

Happy to be proven wrong but I can't see much value in a Kane type player in a game like this with the likes of Hummels at the back.

They're there for the taking so just take them. Can't be arsed adapting to another formation because their one and only threat happens to be wide.

Screenshot_20210629-142049.thumb.png.c78cf2c2c6a2b47a2bd3cb1271befc10.png

Edited by Nod.E

On 24/06/2021 at 11:13, filbertway said:

Feel quite weird about this one, in that I have none of the anticipation or nerves I usually have with knockout footie.

If we win then it will feel like it's inspite of Southgate and his mind numbing tactics. If we lose then maybe we'll see the back of Southgate and get in a manager that's not gonna waste some of the best attacking talent we've had in years.

Worst case is that we lose and Southgate stays.

I feel I've heard this phrase many times in the past from England fans... :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1