Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

4 hours ago, brownfox said:

We had an attacking free kick late in the 2nd half and it looked clear the angle the ball was going to go into the box so the defenders to attack, considering he is out tallest player did anyone see him walking to the other end  of the box where clearly the free kick was not going to go. It looked like even the opposition defenders looked confused thinking is this a tactical ploy or are the lights on and no body is at home!!

Hahaha! Yes, very much a head scratching moment and then Madders dinked one to Patson but just a little too much on it!

26 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Fofana, soyuncu and Evans are bang average then and didn't play for a side that finished 5th. I stand corrected.

Individually all very good players but for other reasons the defence was far from tight. We concede too many goals which has been disguised somewhat by our potent attackers. At the moment Evans, Amartey and Soyuncu need to stay together for as many matches as possible to build an intuitive understanding and the clean sheets should start to come.We need a break from the constant fitness issues obviously.

14 hours ago, FOXSE said:

He doesn't look fit to me. I think he can be useful when he gets fully match fit.

it's like he's lost any explosive strength in his legs to jump off the ground. On quite a few occasions i've noticed when he jumps for a header he doesn't get any extra height off the ground at all and then falls into the header resulting in him losing out to a shorter opposition player, or failing to generate much power on the header. Their first goal late night was an example of this and can think of quite a few other occasions he's falling into the header and losing out to shorter opposition players as a result. I don't think it's a timing thing either as he's just not getting off the ground.

Looking back at some the scouting videos of him playing for Denmark, Southampton and from the Bundesliga, he was commanding in the air and had a good jumping reach on him. 

• Like 2

Vestergaard wasn't great yesterday, but I don't think he stood out like a sore thumb yesterday at all, unlike Soyuncu - once more. A couple of good defensive actions by the latter doesn't warrant glossing over his general nervous and poor display. Not sure why he's being picked on again today. Even Ian Wright commented on it being a good sub.

16 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

Hahaha! Yes, very much a head scratching moment and then Madders dinked one to Patson but just a little too much on it!

It looked odd, but it did the trick and led to an opportunity.

4 hours ago, murphy said:

I quite liked Jimmy.

But you're right, he was awful when he first arrived.

Nev Foulger used to repeatedly say, "well you have to say, City...." followed by comments about being bossed in midfield, easily turned at the back or absent in the final third. On one occasion against Oldham Athletic, I recall him despairingly exclaiming, "well you have to say, Jimmy Willis...." - and the performance was obviously so dire, he couldn't complete the sentence. I think words actually failed him although there was an unintelligible groaning sound. 

JW was outstanding in the play off against Derby. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah there are loads I can think of and I’ve only been watching since 1992. For starters Vestergaard is playing in the top flight, some of the players I’ve seen at CB were that bad in the second tier 

Point taken ref the second tier.

On a positive note.Gerry Taggart was shocking when he started his career for us.He became almost a legend and a cult hero.Fingers crossed that Vestergaard just had a bad start and can become the next

Huth. 

4 hours ago, shen said:

Vestergaard wasn't great yesterday, but I don't think he stood out like a sore thumb yesterday at all, unlike Soyuncu - once more. A couple of good defensive actions by the latter doesn't warrant glossing over his general nervous and poor display. Not sure why he's being picked on again today. Even Ian Wright commented on it being a good sub.

It looked odd, but it did the trick and led to an opportunity.

Vestergaard was shocking last night, another positional mistake where he stepped aside to let Mwepu get past him for the goal, very much like the 3rd for Spartak last week. Grim.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Derby, he got Man of the Match

Did I imagine it or did that little shit Tommy Johnson punch him in the face three times in that match?  There was a coming together they ended up on the deck and I'm sure I remember Johnson punching hi,  Nothing was done and Willis just got to his feet and carried on which makes me wonder if I just dreamt it?

Hard to watch, no confidence, no perceptable acceleration whatsoever, did nearly score though. Is he actually fit? Have him and Cags actually spoken to each other yet? It's hard to tell. I could see him moving on in the summer if we go on like this.

In the short term the sooner we can get him out of the firing line the better, but with Cags like a nervous kitten too, it might not happen til JJ returns.

• Like 1

I wonder if he’d be better as a defensive midfielder, his passing between the lines is his best asset. I can’t understand how he’s only ever played top flight football despite his defensive shortcomings. He’d still get dribbled past an awful lot but at least the attackers won’t be through on goal if they get past him in midfield. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

I wonder if he’d be better as a defensive midfielder, his passing between the lines is his best asset. I can’t understand how he’s only ever played top flight football despite his defensive shortcomings. He’d still get dribbled past an awful lot but at least the attackers won’t be through on goal if they get past him in midfield. 

Nice to see someone with a constructive view of what a lot of people are happy to just set fire to 😂 there is no doubt an argument that me feeling the same could the clutching at straws but I’ve personally always held a mentality of glass half full and also encouraging growth rather than just cutting individuals down over and by over (which we see around us in the real world beyond football never works) 🤷‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, murphy said:

Did I imagine it or did that little shit Tommy Johnson punch him in the face three times in that match?  There was a coming together they ended up on the deck and I'm sure I remember Johnson punching hi,  Nothing was done and Willis just got to his feet and carried on which makes me wonder if I just dreamt it?

I have no recollection of that and have never heard it alleged before either...

44 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Nice to see someone with a constructive view of what a lot of people are happy to just set fire to 😂 there is no doubt an argument that me feeling the same could the clutching at straws but I’ve personally always held a mentality of glass half full and also encouraging growth rather than just cutting individuals down over and by over (which we see around us in the real world beyond football never works) 🤷‍♂️ 

It would certainly be interesting to see 😂 I would like to see it experimented with although I’m doubtful it would ever happen. In a back 3 vestergaard is okay but in a back 4 he looks awful. His passing is intelligent and he certainly has a decent range which would be interesting to see at cdm. 
I think the problem is he’s an easy target and his one on one defending is shocking and when you’re playing centre half if someone takes the ball past you they’re likely to be 1 on 1, whereas at cdm if he gets dribbled past he’s not going to be the last man. I think he’d play best as a sweeper but in the modern game there’s not many systems that employ one. 
Maybe it’s being a bit ‘football hipster’ but I don’t think he’d be any worse in midfield, it wouldn’t highlight his defensive frailties as much and he could utilise his passing better which is clearly his best asset. 
I haven’t given up on him just yet as we’ve seen him have good games against us (barring the 9-0 👀) and for Denmark and maybe he’d play better behind Ndidi or when defending deep like he does for Denmark, but for the time there’s no way he should be played at cb unless it’s in a 3 as he’s being targeted and looks completely out of answers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

It would certainly be interesting to see 😂 I would like to see it experimented with although I’m doubtful it would ever happen. In a back 3 vestergaard is okay but in a back 4 he looks awful. His passing is intelligent and he certainly has a decent range which would be interesting to see at cdm. 
I think the problem is he’s an easy target and his one on one defending is shocking and when you’re playing centre half if someone takes the ball past you they’re likely to be 1 on 1, whereas at cdm if he gets dribbled past he’s not going to be the last man. I think he’d play best as a sweeper but in the modern game there’s not many systems that employ one. 
Maybe it’s being a bit ‘football hipster’ but I don’t think he’d be any worse in midfield, it wouldn’t highlight his defensive frailties as much and he could utilise his passing better which is clearly his best asset. 
I haven’t given up on him just yet as we’ve seen him have good games against us (barring the 9-0 👀) and for Denmark and maybe he’d play better behind Ndidi or when defending deep like he does for Denmark, but for the time there’s no way he should be played at cb unless it’s in a 3 as he’s being targeted and looks completely out of answers. 

I was wondering who he reminded me of, and I don't think it was Beckenbauer. :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Or alternatively, just don't play him at all. Could Benkovic be that much worse if fit? Or is it that we've got to persevere to try and justify the money we've spent on him.

• Like 1